Audi R8 Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Doing a little more research, the CarPlay2Air is made by the same folks that produce the AudiStream2Air.

The RS Nav folks produce Android-based head units, dongles for wireless Android Auto, and the dongles for wireless CarPlay.

Reactions: jamieuk

·
Registered
2017 R8 V10+ Mythos Black
32 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread. I just got quoted $780 from Audi Bellevue to add CarPlay. Quite a bit higher than the $500 that most people said they got theirs for. Are Audi dealerships the only place to get this done? There’s a few other dealerships I can check around at nearby. Can independent shops do it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Surely battery drain is excessive with carplay2air thereby necessitating plugging it in to charge the phone. So what’s the point of wireless CarPlay ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Surely battery drain is excessive with carplay2air thereby necessitating plugging it in to charge the phone. So what’s the point of wireless CarPlay ?
I use a wireless CarPlay adapter on my Cayenne and have not noticed substantial battery drain issues. I leave a cable in the car for when I need to charge but I haven’t had to use it yet. It’s nice to jump into the car and not have to take your phone out. I wouldn’t see why it would be any different in the r8.

The only issue I’ve had with the wireless CarPlay adapter is that it sounds like there is a delay during conversation. I will say something and it takes longer than usual for the person on the other end to listen and respond. Makes conversation a little difficult at times. Just my experience, perhaps my adapter is faulty?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread. I just got quoted $780 from Audi Bellevue to add CarPlay. Quite a bit higher than the $500 that most people said they got theirs for. Are Audi dealerships the only place to get this done? There’s a few other dealerships I can check around at nearby. Can independent shops do it?
An Audi Tech has to connect to your car via VAG COM, register the CarPlay software license with servers in Ingolstadt, then download a version of the MMI that has CarPlay enabled, verify checksum, flash the MMI stack, and then reboot.

Highly doubt anyone outside a dealership can do this. They’d need to hack into servers to make this happen. And then you run the risk of bricking the MMI if something goes wrong.

Reactions: zionn

·
Premium Member
2017 Audi R8
75 Posts
I’d call around to other dealers, seems high.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe 2014 SQ5
354 Posts
No touch screen kinda defeats one of the main reason to have apple car play.

·
Registered
2018 R8 V10 Plus
31 Posts
I was a bit skeptical at first about what the experience may be with no touchscreen, but will say it only took a few drives to get used to it. I love having it right in front of my eyes and having no touchscreen doesn’t bother me a bit. I also bought one of the devices that converts to wireless CarPlay and that has made the experience even better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my 2017 Gen 2 Plus I had to activate the Smart Phone feature which allows for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto because it was not included or offered for the 2017 Gen 2 Plus however, the 2018 Gen 2 Plus has it already activated as built.

Having shared this; it is novel and I use it periodically but the fact that it requires the iPhone be plugged makes it IMO a bit inconvenient.

how did you activated and what was needed for this to be done ? how much did it cost ? or is it just software based ?

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
2,779 Posts
Can anyone confirm if apple CarPlay can be viewed on the small side screen instead of the on the main display?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts