Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,
If you are running the APR GTC500 wing be very careful with your speeds. I installed mine as instructed to the rear hatch cover when I received it last month. It seemed a little unusual to attach it there but we followed the instructions. We ran Roebling Road this past weekend and the car performed incredibly well. I was able to run by far the best lap times I ever have(1:16.43). Part of that was due to the added down force the wing created. It really helped with the sweeping high speed turns and the long straight. The car was steady as a rock with the wing. We ran all day Saturday and two sessions into Sunday. Needless to say these cars road race performance greatly improves with the wing. :D

However, at the end of the long straight at about 158mph when you brake hard going into turn one the wing somehow ripped off the rear hatch panel and left the car. :eek: I'm not sure what caused this but the transition from WOT to very hard braking created enough upward force to tear it off. It was adjusted fairly aggressive with the down force so I know that part was working exceptionally well. Why the change to braking effected it that much is a mystery to me. Fortunately for all involved when the wing left the car it headed into the grassy area next to the course and avoided the potential track damage. The hatch cover is a loss but I think the wing can be repaired. Anyway, I am hoping that APR will help help with the repairs.

I'll keep you updated as we move forward. We will be looking for a new mounting point(frame rail) and mounting brackets.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sooooooo....

1. It needs to be attached to the frame :), as you just learned...
2. NOT knocking on APR but if I was YOU, I would set aside that piece of 2X4 (wing) and get a true wing from GMG with mounting end plates.

Any incar video of you driving?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sooooooo....

1. It needs to be attached to the frame :), as you just learned...
2. NOT knocking on APR but if I was YOU, I would set aside that piece of 2X4 (wing) and get a true wing from GMG with mounting end plates.

Any incar video of you driving?
The wing itself worked incredibly well so I just need some new mounting brackets that go to the frame. I am working on the incar videos as we speak. I'll get some up as quick as I can.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any updates on install, am thinking of getting this wing as well
Got the car out of the body shop Friday and its going to the performance shop Tuesday afternoon to make some measurements and fabricate a new bracket that will go to the frame. I highly recommend the wing but definitely NOT the supplied bracket that goes to the rear hatch cover. That cover is fiberglass and not strong enough for real racing. If you want it for cosmetic purposes then its fine.
If you are going to race with it at high speeds I'll give you the information when we are done with the new bracket.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I was the person who actually commissioned APR to do that rear wing. This was a while ago. As I recall, we changed their original mounts right away. APR saw the new changes that we had made, and then changed their setup as well. I really can't say what their eventual mounts looked like. I have tracked my VF supercharged R8 for well over 10,000 miles, without incident. Those speeds are pretty normal. I'm trying to make sense of UR fotos. Unfortunately, my car is not with me right now, so its difficult to compare. Could you maybe do a foto of the place that U believe initially failed?

R8 at Ranch jj bb (Custom).jpg

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was the person who actually commissioned APR to do that rear wing. This was a while ago. As I recall, we changed their original mounts right away. They saw the new changes that we had made, and then changed their setup as well. I really can't say what their eventual mounts looked like. I have tracked my VF supercharged R8 for well over 10,000 miles, without incident. Those speeds are pretty normal. Do you have any photos of the APR mounting setup?

View attachment 60850
Bodhii,
You can see the mounting plates and where it attaches in the photos above. It did not come lose from the rear hatch cover but it ripped the fiberglass hatch cover off. I'll have new mounting plates/brackets made within the next week or so and I'll share that with you. They will go to the frame. Here is a cad drawing of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the brackets complete and ready to go to the powder coaters. These will bolt directly to the frame just below the rear hatch. The wing will be far enough back that you can open the rear cover without touching the wing. Here are a couple of pics.

Wing Bracket 2.jpg Wing bracket 1.jpg

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New Wing Brackets being installed. If these come off the car has left the ground. :eek:
They are bolted directly to the frame using large M8 Rivets nuts. I trimmed the rear hatch cover and the body shop will clean up and paint the edge. :D

IMG_4031.jpg New Wing Brackets painted.jpg New Wing Brackets CU1.jpg New Wing Brackets CU2.jpg New Wing brackets left side.jpg

You could powder coat them or paint them whatever color you want. The adjustment is infinite.
Derek and E1 Performance did a great job!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Couple more shots:

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
wow, that is impressive.

Yes, this wing will NOT be leaving the car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. I trimmed the interior carbon fiber pieces so when you change the spark plugs or need to remove the carbon fiber trim pieces for any service you can without removing the wing or the brackets. You can also open the rear hatch now without removing the wing. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A couple of pics outside with the new wing brackets.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Do you want to be my R8 tech? ;)

Did you also modify the rear hatch panel to accommodate the new brackets? What kind of down force are we looking at?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you want to be my R8 tech? ;)

Did you also modify the rear hatch panel to accommodate the new brackets? What kind of down force are we looking at?
I did have to modify the rear hatch cover and that will be completed and painted after Daytona. No sense putting the car in the body shop now only to potentially return after Daytona. :eek:

Here's the down force provided by APR. Remember its in Newtons and not pounds. You need to convert it to get the right down force.
At zero angle at 180mph it has 584 pounds of down force.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts