Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide on which tires to go with as well as an alignment after the tire change. The ending price result is about a 700 dollar difference between the two tires. Just as the title says I am curious about everyone's take on this

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Gen2R8

·
Registered
222 Posts
You may want to check Tire Rack or another source for pricing, I don’t see a $700 spread for 4 tires but there are multiple P-Zeros on their site.
But yes PS4S is the tire to get

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Depends if you just drive your R8 like a grand tourer and drive it briskly occasionally not worth going with the Michelin if you want more performance and track the car then yea get the Michelin

·
Registered
192 Posts
Depends if you just drive your R8 like a grand tourer and drive it briskly occasionally not worth going with the Michelin if you want more performance and track the car then yea get the Michelin
Curious about this response, as the grand tourer/occasional brisk drive describes my use. I’ve read that the PS4S provide a smoother ride, which would be nice when my wife is in the car. Is that the case or is the advantage of the Michelins
purely about grip when pushing the car?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Curious about this response, as the grand tourer/occasional brisk drive describes my use. I’ve read that the PS4S provide a smoother ride, which would be nice when my wife is in the car. Is that the case or is the advantage of the Michelins
purely about grip when pushing the car?
I prefer PS4S tires regardless of driving style. From my experience, PZeros develope significant road noise as they wear, more so than your average tire. PS4S do perform better than PZeros but not by a huge margin especially on spirited street drives. JMHO

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes. I went from the Pirelli's to the PS4s and 100% worth it. No more vibrations and the car is much more predictable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Another vote for 4S, the Pirelli i found too easy to go to understeer and didn't actually last that long. The one thing i wouldn't compromise on a car with this level of performance are the only things touching the tarmac. If you don't think you would use the performance of the car then why settle for Pirelli, get some even cheaper brand.
Pretty clear from above from the view from current owners is.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes. With 100% confidence, having driven both, yes.

Reactions: Gen2R8

·
Registered
190 Posts
How about over the Conti extremecontact Sport DW? In just about every test where this tire was up against the 4S, it just lost by the slightest margins... and is 33% less $$

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You may want to check Tire Rack or another source for pricing, I don’t see a $700 spread for 4 tires but there are multiple P-Zeros on their site.
But yes PS4S is the tire to get
It is actually between two different dealerships. One has better pricing for everything except they do not carry Pilot Sport 4s and will not order them. The one that does have them, everything is more (alignment is significantly more so that is how the spread became $700)

·
Registered
153 Posts
+1 for the P4S. The car feels so much better. Also, I would have front end tire hop on slow tight radius turns with the P Zero. I don't have that with the P4S.

·
Registered
470 Posts
How about over the Conti extremecontact Sport DW? In just about every test where this tire was up against the 4S, it just lost by the slightest margins... and is 33% less $$
It lost. Do you want to put your ass on the line at 125MPH with a losing tire? :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I love my Michellins also. Its pretty incredible how many people here feel the same. I do a lot of ADV motorcycle riding and the forums never have consensus on tire choice. This thread reads like a paid advertisement for Michellin.

One tire advice someone gave me is to make sure you have a "new" batch of tires and I think it was good advice. Its written on the side of the tire when they were made and if you are a low mileage driver, then getting freshly made tires may extend the number of years you can have them on the car. I go though them more quickly not because of super aggressive driving, but just because I put a lot of road trip miles on my car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It lost. Do you want to put your ass on the line at 125MPH with a losing tire? :)
If you look at the reports, the conti actually was better in many ways... just lost by a few points. I actually went with the Conti and have enjoyed them.

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,062 Posts
Put me down as another vote for the Michelins....YES, they are absolutely worth the extra coin. When I switched from Pirellis to my Michelins on my Gen1 R8 it was like a different car. They also perform much better in the rain, the Pirellis (even when new) were bad on rainy days while the Michelin feels much better and never loses grip.

Reactions: melland
1 - 20 of 41 Posts