Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Ibis White - Blackout | Carbon Blades Engine bay, Trim | Sport Exhaust
60 Posts
Curious about this response, as the grand tourer/occasional brisk drive describes my use. I’ve read that the PS4S provide a smoother ride, which would be nice when my wife is in the car. Is that the case or is the advantage of the Michelins
purely about grip when pushing the car?
Here's my experience. Bought my 2015 last December with fairly new PZeros. Have put 5500 miles on them in 10 months. They were perfectly fine for those 5500 miles of mostly highway and urban driving and the occasional spirited country drive.

However, I just got back from my first track day and the PZeros were not at all up to tracking. By the end of the second session ~50 minutes of fairly intense driving they were mush. I will be going to Pilots asap.

--S

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Michelin comes standard on the RWD Performance, amazing tire. First thing the Huracan RWD guys do is swap the Pirelli to the Michelin. Makes the RWD usable 24/7, rain or shine. With the Pirelli, you best have your will in order if you go out in the rain or cold.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Crystal Blue Ara
172 Posts
yes 100%

·
Registered
126 Posts
Another vote for 4S, the Pirelli i found too easy to go to understeer and didn't actually last that long. The one thing i wouldn't compromise on a car with this level of performance are the only things touching the tarmac. If you don't think you would use the performance of the car then why settle for Pirelli, get some even cheaper brand.
Pretty clear from above from the view from current owners is.
^^^This. On my "regular" cars, I have less expensive tires. If you do a bit of research, there are affordable tires made by subsidiary companies of major brands. Many are made from the same factory with a different brand. With the exception of true performance tires, you are paying for the brand name, as is with many other products. My old man owned a tire shop back in the day and I was part of his child labor force.:D

·
Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
382 Posts
Agreed on Michelin PS4S for sure for the street because of steering directness and feel, grip, ride, handling consistency, wet performance and durability.

We run the Michelin SC2's on the track for similar behavior with more grip (but less wear).

Also we recommend becoming acquainted with your local Discount Tire folks (who I use with confidence) or similar as they will give you a break if you buy all of your vehicle tires from them. And find an install guy there who cares for your wheels and does a great mount and balance job.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Buy an R8 and cheap out on tires. 🤣

As others stated I don't believe the delta in pricing is $700 between the two but the delta in performance is heavily in favor of the Pilot 4S.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old Pirelli Pzero are great but become noisy and brittle with age.
New Pirelli PZero PZ4 are fantastic. Seem to be very similar in Michelins design, do not become noisy with age and usually are a little less expensive. Continental has a very good Sport Contact 6 also.
Personally on my Lamborghini I run PZ4's but my 911's and R8 all sport Michelin.
Cant go wrong with any of the three.
Biggest problem is what you can actually acquire at this time.... bizarro world.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As stated by some members, for the life of the tires, MPS4 is great all the way. Initial positive experiences on the Pirellis PZeros won't last overtime. I agree that the MP4s are worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Replaced the worn PS4S with PS4S a few months ago. Old ones were awesome for the 10k miles I put on them (were on the car when I purchased it). New ones are quieter, and seem to have better grip, but expected since the old ones were from 2013. Overall, 10 out of 10 and super happy with the tires.

·
Registered
2020 R8 V10 Performance in Kemora Gray
6 Posts
Trying to decide on which tires to go with as well as an alignment after the tire change. The ending price result is about a 700 dollar difference between the two tires. Just as the title says I am curious about everyone's take on this

Thanks in advance
Just put t
Trying to decide on which tires to go with as well as an alignment after the tire change. The ending price result is about a 700 dollar difference between the two tires. Just as the title says I am curious about everyone's take on this

Thanks in advance
Just replaced my Contis with the PS4 and there is a world of difference in ride and performance.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Thanks in advance
I will go with

Thanks in advance
I will go with pirelli p zero I have change mine too all four p zero

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Depends how much your car means to you. Seriously!

Having 4 different sets of Wheels and Tires for my 2014 R8 V10 I've tried quite a few different tires.

The Stock P-Zero are sunshine tires and only light sunshine. If you heat them up too much they become greasy and you will know when they've gotten too hot.

Weirdest feeling ever especially when braking from high speeds. Think Skiing!

The 4S is my favorite tire at a great price point (at least from Tire Rack). I have them 2 different types of wheels.

These are the best tires if you're going to see rain at because they just flat out work.

There are some good videos on YouTube on the 4S tires.

Now If you are into serious grip and traction and don't mind spending more, the Pilot Sport Cup 2 are amazing tires for handling and traction.

At higher speeds they just keep you connected to the road.

Their lateral strength in high speed turns is quite amazing.

Automotive tire Gas Font Auto part Jewellery

·
Registered
78 Posts
I run the PS4S on every car but my wife's Bimmer wagon. Heck I just put them on the 2001 M3 and they made a noticeable difference. The R8, especially, is not the car to "settle" on tires. IMHO.

·
Registered
417 Posts
MIchelin all the way. It's not even close, as you have seen from all these responses.

I just checked TireRack - under $1,400 for a set for my 2009. Cheap if you ask me. PZeros were just over $1,000 so $400 more for the stunningly better tires.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Right before I bought mine, the prior owner of my car put new P Zeros on the front (and the rears are pretty good still). From everything I read, can't wait to put enough wear on them to feel good about tossing them and making the switch to PS4S.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks in advance
I have a set of brand new 3-piece forged ADV1 wheels finished in Misty Gold wrapped in brand new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (I have receipt for both) if you’re wanting to get some PS4S with new wheels. I’m asking $7k firm for the wheels and tires. I haven’t posted a listing on here yet, but the wheels alone were $12,000 so I’m not sure if you’re interested in different wheels but it has the tires you want. 20x9 wrapped in 245 on front and 20x12 wrapped in 325 on rear! I am coming from P-Zero’s to PS4S and think it’s worth the $$ difference if you drive your car very much.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts