Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They solved the brake squeal issue, or so it seemed. 2-3 weeks later and it's back and just as bad if not worse. This is problematic because I drive windows down almost all the time.

The price for the OEM is $430 for the fronts and $230 for the read.

I did one track day and I'm kind of pissed that after 6500 miles the pads are doing this. I took it in to the dealer, the did something with the rotors and pads, grinding them or something, and they said the pads were fine. They also applied some stuff that prevent squeal.

If the pads look fine, I don't see why they have developed such a loud squeal.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go Pagid Blue if you plan to do occasional Track days or Pagid Yellow if you plan to Track frequently. IMO PAGID are the best for the R8 and a lot of us are using them.
What do you consider occasional? 4-5 times a year? Think the Blues would last?

I'm just wondering how quickly I'm going to burn through these. I did one track day on the OEM and will try to get one more day out of them in Oct. I'm thinking they'll be gone after that day and I can just put the car away for the winter. Maybe I'll wait to see when my V10 allocation comes in.

·
Registered
935 Posts
What do you consider occasional? 4-5 times a year? Think the Blues would last?

I'm just wondering how quickly I'm going to burn through these. I did one track day on the OEM and will try to get one more day out of them in Oct. I'm thinking they'll be gone after that day and I can just put the car away for the winter. Maybe I'll wait to see when my V10 allocation comes in.
4-5 Times a year is fine for Blue - They'll last no problems. Make sure you bed them in properly or they may squeal when cold.

Enjoy the extra braking power!! :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had my pads replaced on warranty in the front cuz they were used and the rears were cracked! (What causes pads to crack by the way?)

Now they don't squeal anymore :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4-5 Times a year is fine for Blue - They'll last no problems. Make sure you bed them in properly or they may squeal when cold.

Enjoy the extra braking power!! :)
Should I let the dealer bed them in or is it simple enough?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes there are. The OEM are great for the street on not bad on the track, but if you track more than a few times a year I would suggest Pagid Yellow with some Motul RBF 600 brake fluid. I drive the R8 hard and fast on the track and getting to this set up has been amazing. Have spent 5 days on the track including Watkins Glen and they are barely worn. I was having trouble with boiling the OEM fluid but no problem now with the Motul. I have done 12 days on the track this year and after a couple more I will need new Rotors. The pagid Yellow will sqeak on the street as you slow to a stop.

The R8 is an amazing car. Just bought some CCW wheels and Toyo RA1. Will be taking them to Mont Tremblant next weekend and I expect the tires to make a big difference over the street Perrili's.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes there are. The OEM are great for the street on not bad on the track, but if you track more than a few times a year I would suggest Pagid Yellow with some Motul RBF 600 brake fluid. I drive the R8 hard and fast on the track and getting to this set up has been amazing. Have spent 5 days on the track including Watkins Glen and they are barely worn. I was having trouble with boiling the OEM fluid but no problem now with the Motul. I have done 12 days on the track this year and after a couple more I will need new Rotors. The pagid Yellow will sqeak on the street as you slow to a stop.

The R8 is an amazing car. Just bought some CCW wheels and Toyo RA1. Will be taking them to Mont Tremblant next weekend and I expect the tires to make a big difference over the street Perrili's.
Which wheels and how much? I need a set of track wheels for track rubber.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Douglas, I am going with 18 X 9 front and 18 X 12 rear using 245 40 18 front and 335 30 18 back. Using Toyo RA1 rubber. Wheel from CCWheel.com will run $2900 (c10's) and the tires are $1320. I am going with 18 in wheels because I will have more options in the future. The 12 in. tires on the back should be awesome for grip. I picked the RA1 over the Toyo R888 because they will last longer 8/32 tread vs 6/32 and they are much better in the wet. I will let you know how the set up worked in a week after I use them at Mont Tremblant.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I look forward to hearing about your experience. You mean you chose 18's because you'll have more tire options in the future?

Have fun and be safe. I hear Mont Tremblant is an excellent track. Wish I lived closer to it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes,18 inch wheels give you a lot more options for rubber right now and I would think in the future. Also a little cheaper. Tremblant is a super track, but the R8 really loves the high speed corners of Watkins Glen. What tracks do you run at?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes,18 inch wheels give you a lot more options for rubber right now and I would think in the future. Also a little cheaper. Tremblant is a super track, but the R8 really loves the high speed corners of Watkins Glen. What tracks do you run at?
I'm in Michigan and there are a few. Gratten Raceway is the only one I've done. Haven't had a chance to get to Gingerman, and Waterford Hills (close by) is a little short and tight for my tastes.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone else have the bedding in procedure? That link posted no longer works.

Also, how much more will Yellows squeal than Blue? I kind of dislike to squeal, but I've grown to tolerate it, as my OEM ones squeal a lot anyway.

Also, can I trust my Audi dealer to bed the pads properly? I'm assuming that they know how to bed the OEM pads, which are Pagid I believe, so I'm guessing they can do these properly.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
2 customer have boiled the fluid on track.
Get Motul RBF600 or Castrol if you are above a novice level driver!

~~~~~~~~~~

Yellows are a metallic ceramic compound - and *identical8 to the compound used at LeMans, Sebring. Daytona.

"Go Pagid Blue if you plan to do occasional Track days or Pagid Yellow if you plan to Track frequently. IMO PAGID are the best for the R8 and a lot of us are using them."

Correct, exactly how the use should be calculated.

~~~~~~~~~~

FWIW, note how the OEM front pads ARE Pagid?
The tame street/semi-trackable proprietary Audi-mandated compound.

THe Yellows will last a LOT longer than the OEM pads at just a bit more than OEM cost.
Truly, Pagid Yellows for track use IMO are qualified as a "no-brainer".
Pagid Blues result in a slightly noiser than OEM pad that is also trackable to a greater extent thean OEM - with less noise - and shorter life and lower friction - than the Pagid Yellows.

Does this help?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts