Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would be interested to know whether you guys have just ASR off or ASR and ESP off when on the track.

Was at the Nurburgring this week and ran with just ASR off but didn't have the balls to go the whole hog and turn ESP off as well.

What do you do?

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
*Please note that when I orgininally wrote this post, I was working totally brain dead, and got the names of the ESP and ASR mixed up.
I have now gone back and corrected them. They are now correct! My bad! \

This advice is ONLY for R8 owners who have a quite a few days of track experience in other cars as well as the R8 on different tracks.

I NEVER turn off the ESP!! The sport suspension is very important. In the R8's normal stock configuration, no one will ever be faster driving with the ESP turned off. It is a huge part of the R8's great sports car abilities. The ESP will never take over and interfere with your sport driving.

And, while on a track, I NEVER use ASR. For me it is a complete "party pooper". Its just no fun. The R8 is one of the most solid and predictable sports cars ever made. It will always provide you with great levels of confidence and control. If I have the ASR on, I feel the the car is being held within a huge fishnet. This stability control system is a great driving interference for me. I set the car up to move in a certain way in and out of a turn, but midway thru the turn, the ASR takes control, and makes the car follow a more non-responsive, less dynamic exit. I hated that feeling. For me it was like being able to enjoy only about 70% of the car.

If you enjoy tracking, and you become very confident with the car and your track, I definitely suggest that you try driving without the ASR. Maybe you will like your car more. Maybe not!

Have fun, go fast, drive safe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you've got your ASR and ESP mixed up!

My understanding was a press of the ASR/ESP button disabled the ASR and a 3 secong hold of the ASR/ESP button disabled both.

Therefore you cannot turn ESP off without turning ASR off.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
LOL!.. OOPS! :eek:I certainly did. Thnx Stevez! I'll go back and correct my post to try and minimize the confusion. .. My bad,.. its was early Sunday morning here when I wrote the post, and Saturday night was still a bit in my head.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Bodhii. ASR = OFF and ESP = ON.

Allows you to slide a little and drive very agressively with ESP on standby ready to activate if things get really messy.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are doing something really crazy, like coming into a corner WAY too fast or similar. DON'T expect the ESP to help you!!

Use common sense and drive to within your limits.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Hey Steve,What kind of times did your R8 turn?? You lucky guy...The Ring!!!:eek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Steve,What kind of times did your R8 turn?? You lucky guy...The Ring!!!:eek:

Was lapping in the mid 8:30s but never felt I got a clean lap an there were also some speed restriction on the track as they were doing barrier repairs.

Also as it was my first trip in the R8 (been many times in other cars though) I was probably only driving at 80%.

On my next visit at the end of June i'd be disappointed if I wasn't breaking 8:20 with a clean lap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts