Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know that this has been done by Tom in Germany before, so I would like to dig into it and find out what exactly is required and others thoughts. According to past posts this individual has been VERY successful in extracting a decent amount of HP and TQ from the stock 4.2L with items like...
V10 TB (Throttle Body)
V10 MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor)
PnP Intake Manifold (Port and Polish)
CAI (Cold Air intake)
Exhaust
Tune

I have someone relatively local who is a 4.2L expert, but they usually single or twin turbo the engines. As you all know this is costly, and at that point a V10 is within reach. What I am looking for here is numbers that would emulate what "Tom" has obtained with a budget that would be less than half of forced induction.

Lastly, WHY have I never seen anyone install a performance cam on the 4.2L?? Is there nothing to be gained from this?

I have attached the dyno graph from Tom's car and gains for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Tom replaced intake cams (dbilas dynamic, +1mm intake valve lift) and reduced exhaust valve lift in his build.
All details are listed in his build thread (ignore the idiots), however I've extracted mechanical changes and listed them below for reference.
All credit is to Tom, I've simply tried to summarise the changes in one place:

RS5 short headers (without catalytic converters)
exhaust (custom with 59mm diameter exhaust flaps, increased from stock 51mm)
V10 82mm throttle bodies (modified to reduce obstruction by butterfly valve)
V10 MAF
Intake manifold port & polish:-
enlarging of the inlet ports and intake manifolds, a cross-section was reached of plus 19.8%.
Dimensions series in the smallest cross-section ( Tumble end flaps) > 1232mm², Tube smaller 40mm ( also Audi RS4 B7 )
After the processing > 1476mm², Tube now 43,5mm ( The V10 and RS5 have 1508mm², Tube 44mm )
plus reduction in the height of the intake runners and bank separator
Intake valve stem diameter reduction:-
intake valve right-side > 9/2010
intake valve left-side 9/2010
Cylinder head exhaust port extended
K&N air filters (20mm larger, elliptical)
ECU mapping by JD Engineering Holland
Performed stabilizer rear axle Lamborghini (anti-roll bar?)
Lamborghini Gallardo rear drive shafts (hollow) part numbers 400.501.211/212, without any index! You can only order new with index, I think C was it but they are not hollow anymore.

P.S. why do you always add quotes to Tom's name?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
All of that, while really waking up the 4.2 and optimizing everything, will be pretty expensive, especially if you don't have a shop of your own or something. I think parts alone would exceed 10 grand, then all of the fabricating, install labor, and getting a tune sorted. My guess is 17-20 grand all said and done using normal channels. You could do the VF V8 charger system for that price, or spend 10 grand more and have a turbo setup plumbed up. I really appreciate what Tom did, it's really impressive how much optimization of the 4.2 that can be had, but I think there are cheaper ways to get more power, unless that's not what you're going for. I support all methods of increasing power delivery :)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
454 whp/ 391 lb ft/tq is no slouch! My V10 with tune and exhaust put down 470whp/356lb ft/tq

I would like to see the video, with your tq advantage and lightened car, I expect you to pull on the v10 Tom. Any v10 mods?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Also, what kind of dyno Tom? Mine was on a low performing Mustang.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WinterRunner, actually you are way off! V10 TB are ~$500 each, V10 MAF are ~$140 each, a PnP will be about $1500 to $2k, I have the exhaust and now it is just a matter of install and tune. I am thinking it will be on the order of 5 to 7k all in.

Did you watch that video that speedrs4 posted! The V8 has a lot of good power yet to be extracted!

All of that, while really waking up the 4.2 and optimizing everything, will be pretty expensive, especially if you don't have a shop of your own or something. I think parts alone would exceed 10 grand, then all of the fabricating, install labor, and getting a tune sorted. My guess is 17-20 grand all said and done using normal channels. You could do the VF V8 charger system for that price, or spend 10 grand more and have a turbo setup plumbed up. I really appreciate what Tom did, it's really impressive how much optimization of the 4.2 that can be had, but I think there are cheaper ways to get more power, unless that's not what you're going for. I support all methods of increasing power delivery :)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
WinterRunner, actually you are way off! V10 TB are ~$500 each, V10 MAF are ~$140 each, a PnP will be about $1500 to $2k, I have the exhaust and now it is just a matter of install and tune. I am thinking it will be on the order of 5 to 7k all in.

Did you watch that video that speedrs4 posted! The V8 has a lot of good power yet to be extracted!

I would have thought twice that. So maybe 10-12K with parts and labor, if you're less mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hey Tom, nice run! Was that V10 totally stock? Tuned?

You also did quite a bit of lightening. Really shows the V8 platform well!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

I'm not sure if the V10 has been optimized in the video, unfortunately some time has passed

The Spyder V10 in the other video was with S-Tronic, the Coupe V 10 with R-Tronic.

The current stand on the R8 is even more formidable than in the video.
A lot has happened.

My time from 100-200 or 62-124 mile is 7.0 seconds two years ago.
Series V8 10-12s

Tom

1 - 20 of 135 Posts