Audi R8 Forums banner
101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

The value in measured value block 032 tells me that the change was good.

The Audi technician for this V8 intake manifold told me it was good for the application and that ended the conversation.

At Audi only what is necessary is done, here at 420PS.

For information, the flap in the TB housing is not horizontal and therefore at right angles to the individual inlet pipes, but at an acute angle. (with flaps fully open) The flap is like a spoiler, the air is given a direction and if the angle is too acute this leads to flow losses.

Tom

·
Registered
798 Posts
I see the height of the part is reduced quite a bit in addition to the widening... Are there any fitment issues with the reduced height of the plenum intake side? And if I may ask, what is the difference in height after widening and polishing? (as measured from the visible mounting surface to the top of the opening comparing the stock to the finished).

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hi

If you plan to install larger TBs on a V8 intake manifold, the area on the intake manifold for the TB should be milled vertically. Unfortunately, the surface is sloped 5 mm downwards. see image.

I didn't notice years ago and will do it this winter.

View attachment 256192

Tom
Two questions:

1. why should they be milled vertically other than aesthetics?
2. Does the V10 TB have the same mounting hole dimensions as the V8 TB? So you can just unbolt the V8 TB and then bolt on the V10 TB with no modification? I"m confused on this part since I have not seen to compare the V8 TB vs the V10 TB dimensions and bolt hole location(s).

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

It has been shortened by 12mm and there are no problems.

Tom

I see the height of the part is reduced quite a bit in addition to the widening... Are there any fitment issues with the reduced height of the plenum intake side? And if I may ask, what is the difference in height after widening and polishing? (as measured from the visible mounting surface to the top of the opening comparing the stock to the finished).

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

A plug and play installation of the V10 TB on the V8 intake manifold is possible.

You must first create new mounting holes for the V10 TB and then enlarge the 68mm hole for the 82mm TB.

Some changes seem inconclusive and useless, but have to do with airflow.

Tom

Two questions:

1. why should they be milled vertically other than aesthetics?
2. Does the V10 TB have the same mounting hole dimensions as the V8 TB? So you can just unbolt the V8 TB and then bolt on the V10 TB with no modification? I"m confused on this part since I have not seen to compare the V8 TB vs the V10 TB dimensions and bolt hole location(s).

·
Registered
972 Posts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with the pipes that bring air to the inlet port is the inside contour.

First the pipe is round with a diameter x and towards the inlet opening it is rounded into a rectangle and also has a larger diameter. The smallest cross-section is the transition from round to rectangular, here is the smallest area.
We call this a bottle neck.

You have to continue the round contour into the rectangular contour to avoid the bottle neck.

Tom

·
Registered
798 Posts
View attachment 261225

View attachment 261226

View attachment 261227

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with the pipes that bring air to the inlet port is the inside contour.

First the pipe is round with a diameter x and towards the inlet opening it is rounded into a rectangle and also has a larger diameter. The smallest cross-section is the transition from round to rectangular, here is the smallest area.
We call this a bottle neck.

You have to continue the round contour into the rectangular contour to avoid the bottle neck.

Tom
I see.. Literally :) Thanks Tom...

Do you have a picture of the top of the intake (the portion the TB attaches to without the TB attached)? Like a before and after modification.... before and after drilling and tapping new TB mounting holes and before and after widening the TB opening on the upper intake manifold ?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hi

sorry I didn't take any pictures of that.

A size comparison 68 > 82mm

Tom
That picture shows it pretty well. Did you fill the old mounting holes (tap and bolt or weld)? or does the V10 TB gasket cover the old V8 holes (that would be ideal). I realize they don't need to be filled at all. I was just wondering if you did for looks (if they even show).

·
Registered
798 Posts
It doesn't look like there is enough material to locate the V10 TB to this V8 manifold ??? Shown is the current V8 TB and I am misunderstanding how the V10 TB fits onto this manifold. I bought the V10 gasket for size and hold placement and I just don't see how the V10 TB fits?? Tell me what I don't understand? And please excuse my ignorance.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

You will fit.
You can see it in picture 261227

Tom

It doesn't look like there is enough material to locate the V10 TB to this V8 manifold ??? Shown is the current V8 TB and I am misunderstanding how the V10 TB fits onto this manifold. I bought the V10 gasket for size and hold placement and I just don't see how the V10 TB fits?? Tell me what I don't understand? And please excuse my ignorance.

View attachment 261259

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hi

You will fit.
You can see it in picture 261227

View attachment 261284

Tom
Wow, I can't believe it fits... Tom when you first did this, did you have that thought, that it might not fit? You must have had to literally place a gasket against the manifold to see that it would fit.

I see the right one (looking at this picture) is mounted upside down, is that because of the (vacuum tube port ?) is in the way?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

No, the actuating motor of the V10 TB is too far in the direction of the intake manifold and without an adapter for more distance to the intake manifold, the TB has to be turned. With a 10mm thick adapter on both places, both TBs can also be installed like series.

Tom

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hi

No, the actuating motor of the V10 TB is too far in the direction of the intake manifold and without an adapter for more distance to the intake manifold, the TB has to be turned. With a 10mm thick adapter on both places, both TBs can also be installed like series.

Tom
Perfect. I'm going to 10mm mill and adapter as it will make everything look the same and in my opinion, less risky. As the less I have to do to the manifold, the better. I realize I still need to mill the opening, but with a 10mm adapter in place as the guide, the cut will be smoother, no transition disruption between TB and manifold.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

Such changes can only be made by experienced ECU optimizers who know exactly which changes are necessary. You will not have the knowledge or hardware to make changes to the ECU yourself.

You have to go a long way to reach an expert. For the trip there, they use the original MAF and switch to the large one on site. (the MAF sensor remains V8 and only the MAF housing is getting bigger)

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Tom

Just to be clear are you saying that if one don't have access to an experienced ECU tuner it would be safe to continue fitting the V10 TB and MAF housing, while retaining/sticking with the V8 MAF sensor or am I misunderstanding you? if the latter is correct what kind of power and NM gains would be realistic?

101 - 120 of 135 Posts