Audi R8 Forums banner
121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

You must always keep the MAF sensor as other sensors have different properties that your ECU optimizer cannot handle. If you just take a bigger version of the MAF and TB, 460-470PS. If you change the entrance to the cylinder to a larger cross-section, it can also be 480-490HP. The ECU must always be adapted to the circumstances.

Tom

·
Registered
798 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

The aim was to get out about 12 mm below the plenum. This is only possible with one hand saw because the geometry of the pipe gallery is not ideal for sawing. If the desired pipe piece is cut out from all pipes, a chamfer is made on the inside at both ends so that the weld seam is optimal.

Since I have to remove a lot of material and thus reduce the thickness of the pipe wall, I spread a strip of window glue on the outside underneath the plenum so that the plenum does not fall off if the wall is too thin.

Tom

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hi

The aim was to get out about 12 mm below the plenum. This is only possible with one hand saw because the geometry of the pipe gallery is not ideal for sawing. If the desired pipe piece is cut out from all pipes, a chamfer is made on the inside at both ends so that the weld seam is optimal.

Since I have to remove a lot of material and thus reduce the thickness of the pipe wall, I spread a strip of window glue on the outside underneath the plenum so that the plenum does not fall off if the wall is too thin.

Tom
So you used a band saw and cut a piece out and then glued them back together?

Why not use epoxy like JB weld? rather than window glue?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

A bandsaw will not work, I used a hand hacksaw.
The ends were ground at an angle and welded together. The wall thickness at the weld seam was too thin after the optimization and had to be stabilized with glue.

Dishware Drinkware Automotive tire White Tableware

·
Registered
798 Posts

·
Registered
09 V8 6MT
246 Posts
First issue I see is that they aren’t V band flanged. But the concept would be the same if they offered it specific for the R8’s. I want to do the same but with a set of GESI cats welded in place of the stock cat. Reduce the smell without compromising any power loss. They are rated well above what our V8 could ever put out.

·
Registered
798 Posts
First issue I see is that they aren’t V band flanged. But the concept would be the same if they offered it specific for the R8’s. I want to do the same but with a set of GESI cats welded in place of the stock cat. Reduce the smell without compromising any power loss. They are rated well above what our V8 could ever put out.
I like the way you think!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hi

They are the same exhaust manifolds as I use. These only have to be adapted to the environment of the R8 V8.

View attachment 275176

Tom
To adapt, do you mean change some angles and or add the v-flange at the exhaust side? Also what do you think of what @ForceFed said about adding GESI cats? That seems like a great idea for us Californian's or US guys and gals.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

You can see in the picture what I did to install the RS5 exhaust manifolds on the R8 V8.
Take a closer look and you will see that only the original R8 V8 cats can be installed.
If you want to own cats, you have to install the cats in the rear exhaust like I did on the four valve Capristo back in the day.
Flaps close and the exhaust gas goes through the cats, flaps open and the exhaust gas also goes past the cats and partly through the cats.

Motor vehicle Cylinder Automotive exhaust Gas Auto part

Tom

121 - 135 of 135 Posts