Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left my 4.2 r8 at the local dealer to get the downshift paddle replaced because it was totally stuck. Drove the car back and everything was fine. I have not really driven the car since. Today I got out for a drive and found up my upshift paddle was stuck. I pressed it a couple of times and it started working again. The same thing happened a couple of times.
When I came home I inspected the paddle and saw that it was damaged.

My theory is that the dealer accidentally put some kind of pressure on the right paddle while replacing the left one.

here is a video of it

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

What should I do?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Left my 4.2 r8 at the local dealer to get the downshift paddle replaced because it was totally stuck. Drove the car back and everything was fine. I have not really driven the car since. Today I got out for a drive and found up my upshift paddle was stuck. I pressed it a couple of times and it started working again. The same thing happened a couple of times.
When I came home I inspected the paddle and saw that it was damaged.

My theory is that the dealer accidentally put some kind of pressure on the right paddle while replacing the left one.

here is a video of it

View attachment 274611

What should I do?
Mine did the same thing. It's the little tabs from the inside that broke off and fell into the clicker part of the shifter. Just need to take it off and remove the broken tabs and put the shifter back. works like brand new after that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine did the same thing. It's the little tabs from the inside that broke off and fell into the clicker part of the shifter. Just need to take it off and remove the broken tabs and put the shifter back. works like brand new after that.
hmm, intresting.

did you remove the whole steering wheel?

·
Registered
32 Posts
hmm, intresting.

did you remove the whole steering wheel?
No need. But the air bag and trim needs to be removed.. here are the steps.

1. Turn the steering wheel quarter to see the ½ circle cap that expose the air bag T25 bolt. Loosen the bolt. Then turn the wheel the other way to remove the other bolt. Air bag/ horn will be loose now. Then straighten of the steering wheel.
2. Disconnect the battery terminals
3. Remove the air bag by uncliping the orange color wire hardness
4. Remove the ring trim by slowly prying the trim
5. Remove one T15 bolt that holds the paddle shifter.
6. Disconnect the paddle shifter wire plug and remove.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim Gas

Hope this helps

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No need. But the air bag and trim needs to be removed.. here are the steps.

1. Turn the steering wheel quarter to see the ½ circle cap that expose the air bag T25 bolt. Loosen the bolt. Then turn the wheel the other way to remove the other bolt. Air bag/ horn will be loose now. Then straighten of the steering wheel.
2. Disconnect the battery terminals
3. Remove the air bag by uncliping the orange color wire hardness
4. Remove the ring trim by slowly prying the trim
5. Remove one T15 bolt that holds the paddle shifter.
6. Disconnect the paddle shifter wire plug and remove. View attachment 275007
Hope this helps
WOW!!

Thanks for the guide. Really appreciate it.

I am a bit scared of dissconecting the battery, heard some people had problems with the car afterwards.

Ps, ballsy to do iton a r8 gt :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
haha thanks. I made two appointments with dealership to have them replace under my Audi Warranty but they were 2-3 months out so I didn't want to wait and eventually pay out of pocket because I feel like that's what dealerships do. Take your time and pull the trim off easy from all side little by little. For the battery just reset the clock, radio, and windows. Keep your windows up and after you connect the battery it won't drop down the window when you open the door. Just press full down and up on the windows controls and it works just fine afterwards.

The tabs that breaks looks like this...
Circuit component Digital camera Hardware programmer Gadget Cameras & optics

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha thanks. I made two appointments with dealership to have them replace under my Audi Warranty but they were 2-3 months out so I didn't want to wait and eventually pay out of pocket because I feel like that's what dealerships do. Take your time and pull the trim off easy from all side little by little. For the battery just reset the clock, radio, and windows. Keep your windows up and after you connect the battery it won't drop down the window when you open the door. Just press full down and up on the windows controls and it works just fine afterwards.

The tabs that breaks looks like this... View attachment 275099
does not sound too complicated!

Where does the little tap go? Tried to see on the picture but I'm not really sure.

I bought an aftermarket warranty but they don't want to pay for it. The other paddle costed 520 use to fix..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts