Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am looking through this Audi Exclusive Brochure as I am about to place my 2022 R8 Performance Coupe Quattro order and this A8 caught my eye. Originally, I was going to go for Daytona Gray Pearl, but this Indium Gray Metallic with the Beige and Black leather interior with contrast stitching caught my eye.

I'm really liking these colors. If I could get the Audi Exclusive team to do the R8 in these colors, what do you think? Do you think you'd like it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
The first thing I'd say is that exterior colours in brochures can be inaccurate especially if it's a configurator computer rendering which that one looks like (I could be wrong). If it is the same Indium grey which was/is a standard colour on some VW models then it looks quite different to that picture - less brown and more grey. Internet search for TRoc indium and you'll find a selection of photos and videos. It doesn't look a million miles away from daytona but hard to tell if they are not side by side.

The Audi exclusive programme for custom colours is excellent and I can recommend it. Pre-covid an exclusive exterior colour typically added about 4 weeks on to the delivery time, but I have read on this forum that it is now longer or may even have been suspended for a while, so worth checking with your dealer before you waste hours thinking about colour choices! Also note that you do not have to restrict yourself to the "Audi exclusive" colours that you see in the brochures. I have met the team in Neckarsulm and you can have just about whatever colour you want as long as you have the paint code / manufacturer etc (i.e. it's clear to the team what you are asking for) and it's a standard paint process and not one those fancy flip-flop paints that look different from different directions, like the TVR in the movie Swordfish. There are also hundreds of colours which are already approved but the list is not released to dealers - I guess it's the Audi Exclusive team protecting their patch which is understandable. Below is a photo of a drawer of approved blues and there are many more.

I have no experience with exclusive interiors but I did hear from the team that this can add considerably to the delivery time and you should allow up to three months due to the manual labour processes involved. I can imagine you would be looking at very big sums of money for an interior like that one - from memory someone paid close to £1000 or $1000 just to have the steering wheel stitched in Ara blue. Here in the UK an exclusive exterior colour seems to have some value in the used market or at least help to sell a car as long as it's desirable of course (e.g. not pink) but I doubt you would get much if anything back from a high dollar exclusive interior here. It may be different in the US

So I'd speak to your dealer first on delivery times or restrictions. Something I also did a few years back was to have a repair shop spray a piece of corrugated plastic in the exterior colour that I was interested in. If you did that you would be able to compare with the dealer's daytona grey sample card which they should have in the showroom.

Any love for the blues?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, you've come here for an opinion, so I am apologizing in advance...

...but from a female perspective, this reminds me of the color chosen for the Cutlass that went into the ads in your Grandpa's Popular Science mag in the late 80s. I feel the brown hue of the gray just dates it tremendously. How often do you see brown/gold cars these days?

But as cliche as it sounds, you need to do what YOU like and it doesn't matter what we all think.

And I agree with @steve9 110%. You need to see a swatch in person and in different lighting. Colors never look in person like they do on the computer screen. I was absolutely in love with Oolong Gray for my A7 - the cool, crisp green hued gray was beautiful on an overcast day or under showroom lights. Get Oolong Gray in sunlight and it turns to seagrass brown... I was out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here it is on an actual Audi. I agree that it's less brown than in the brochure.

I have seen a chip at the dealership. It doesn't look too brown there either, but I didn't take it outside to see it in the sun or compare it to the Daytona Gray Pearl.

Also, I have been in contact with the Audi Exclusive North America manager and he has been most helpful. I am aware of the order codes and cost for each item. It's actually a pretty cool/fun process. And I'm also perfectly okay with the added times for AE paint and interior. In fact, I am trying to delay it into December of 21 or January of 22 anyway (for financial reasons.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, you've come here for an opinion, so I am apologizing in advance...

...but from a female perspective, this reminds me of the color chosen for the Cutlass that went into the ads in your Grandpa's Popular Science mag in the late 80s. I feel the brown hue of the gray just dates it tremendously. How often do you see brown/gold cars these days?
I absolutely appreciate your opinion. I think the brown is misleading and looks fantastic on that A7 above.

I'm really interested on your thoughts of the interior. I am thinking that there's no way it will look like Grandpa's Cutlass because it's the R8 sleek interior. But I'm a more subtle kinda guy and appreciate the more refined or elegant approach.

I mean, my other choice was something similar to this...

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,062 Posts
Here it is on an actual Audi. I agree that it's less brown than in the brochure.

I have seen a chip at the dealership. It doesn't look too brown there either, but I didn't take it outside to see it in the sun or compare it to the Daytona Gray Pearl.

Also, I have been in contact with the Audi Exclusive North America manager and he has been most helpful. I am aware of the order codes and cost for each item. It's actually a pretty cool/fun process. And I'm also perfectly okay with the added times for AE paint and interior. In fact, I am trying to delay it into December of 21 or January of 22 anyway (for financial reasons.)
If this A7 is the color, you would have a gorgeous 2022 R8. I would keep it simple with a black interior though..it will let the color do all the work, remember, sometimes less is more and doing a wild interior will take away from that gorgeous color.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Are you sure that A7 is indium grey? It looks more like the carat beige show car at Geneva.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure that A7 is indium grey? It looks more like the carat beige show car at Geneva.
No, I am not. It's what came up when I searched Google for "Audi Idium Gray Metallic". If I actually consider it, I will rely only on the paint chips/cards at the dealership.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep. Looks like Carat Beige (which seems to change colors depending on the angle!

Dang it! I can't seem to find any car with this Idium Gray.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could ask the Audi Exclusive team in Neckarsulm if they have any photos of Audis in that colour. I found them very helpful in the past.

[email protected]
Good idea. I emailed them in the past and the AE US manager emailed me back with very useful information. Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Agree with @slammedr8 , a more refined exterior color would lend itself to the same type of interior. I certainly would stay sleek and subtle.

I think the bright, wilder paint colors are better suited for the two-tone interiors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Last summer there was a 2017 R8 Plus for sale in Chicago with a lemon buyback title - it had an exclusive color just like the one you pictured with a light tan / black interior - the seats were solid tan with the diamond stitching. Drop dead gorgeous - seriously, it was stunning!!! If the title was clean, it would be in my garage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last summer there was a 2017 R8 Plus for sale in Chicago with a lemon buyback title - it had an exclusive color just like the one you pictured with a light tan / black interior - the seats were solid tan with the diamond stitching. Drop dead gorgeous - seriously, it was stunning!!! If the title was clean, it would be in my garage.
Maaan, I wish I could see pics of that!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She's definitely pretty, but I'm glad I'm sticking to the Daytona Gray Pearl. Thanks for posting those!

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
I didn't love Daytona Gray on photographs but was blown away when I finally went to pick my car up and saw the paint in person. Slim pickings and this was the only one I was able to negotiate a little bit that had all the options I wanted. Would choose this color again if I was given the options - so make sure you're ready to give up on it. The heavy bronze/gold flakes in the paint looks so wild up close.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I didn't love Daytona Gray on photographs but was blown away when I finally went to pick my car up and saw the paint in person. Slim pickings and this was the only one I was able to negotiate a little bit that had all the options I wanted. Would choose this color again if I was given the options - so make sure you're ready to give up on it. The heavy bronze/gold flakes in the paint looks so wild up close.
Yeah, I am definitely going to stick with the Daytona Gray. I just love that dark with the pearl. It's close to my Metallic gray truck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts