Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2010 with 24k miles (v10) and it seems like leaking struts are a big problem due to cost. Whats the most miles some of you have put with perfectly functioning shocks? (No leaks or replacement) Is failure of struts imminent?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Have a V10, 2012 and after 40 000 km just recently one of the shocks in the back had to be replaced, luckily I'm still under warranty, not sure what to do if I decide to keep the car when the warranty expires as you can't extend it here in Sweden as you can in US (from what I can recall some of the US members of this forum have stated in other threads concerning extended warranty)

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I have an '09 with 40K miles without any issues. I also have 21 track events. :D

At 41K miles my rears started to leak. I am replacing all of them. :( Bring money, $1800US each plus installation.

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
Is a leaking shock something that would be covered under an extended warranty?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
I have an '09 with 40K miles without any issues. I also have 21 track events. :D

At 41K miles my rears started to leak. I am replacing all of them. :( Bring money, $1800US each plus installation.
That's quite a boat-load to do all four! Still probably a bargain compared to other exotics, though.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Extended warranty covered the front because it is called a strut. The rear struts are called shocks, and not covered.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Imagine some cars in Buick, Chevy, and Caddy share the same shocks from the same company......It's just frustrating to see the premium for those in an German car.

Oh wait, imagine if your shocks go out in a Ferrari 599 or F12berlinetta or California... lol...

·
Registered
323 Posts
2008 here. All 4 were replaced 4 months ago at 29k miles. 2 were leaking (1 front,1 rear) and it's recommended to replace them in pairs. All 4 were covered under extended warranty, almost $8,000 total.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
2008 here. All 4 were replaced 4 months ago at 29k miles. 2 were leaking (1 front,1 rear) and it's recommended to replace them in pairs. All 4 were covered under extended warranty, almost $8,000 total.
Which extended warranty do you have?

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
I have a customer who does 15-20 track days a year and abuses his 80,000 mile R8 and they still look mint.

I have a customer who's car is his pride and joy and they all showed signs by 18,000 miles (2.5 years old).

All about what the shock has gone through really.

Cheers Ricky

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have low miles on mine and all four are leaking. Im supposed to hear tomorrow whether the Audi Platinum Extended Warranty will cover it, they are sending an adjuster. So they cant tell me if they are or not, but an adjuster is coming. This is nuts. If they are not covered, I will be ripping someones head off.. There is clearly a manufacturers problem here!!

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
I have low miles on mine and all four are leaking. Im supposed to hear tomorrow whether the Audi Platinum Extended Warranty will cover it, they are sending an adjuster. So they cant tell me if they are or not, but an adjuster is coming. This is nuts. If they are not covered, I will be ripping someones head off.. There is clearly a manufacturers problem here!!
If for whatever reason things to do not work out, then just let us know.

We can supply you with a brand new full magnetic ride shock set for under $5,000 (assuming you have a Coupe).

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
What year/model/miles ?

·
Registered
277 Posts
2008 V8

replaced 6 months ago, both front end of the car.

45t km aprox 30t miles... SUCKS:... just waitning for rear to fail

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
My first batch needed replacing at 70K km (45K mi). If the second batch are similarly short-lived, and I've decided to keep the car, it will be aftermarket for sure.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
My first batch needed replacing at 70K km (45K mi). If the second batch are similarly short-lived, and I've decided to keep the car, it will be aftermarket for sure.
Yeah I guess you could always do a KW setup or the V10 plus shocks - but its such a shame. The magnetic ride is amazing. Last night on the freeway I went into sport mode and it jumping around like crazy. Then back to "regular" and it was perfectly settled.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
45k is short-lived? My front right went out and started making thumping noises at 7k...which was replaced under warranty.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts