Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me who finds the audi MMI unintuitive to use? I have had my car 2 months now and i still find navigation app so difficult to use. I work in the digital space so understand what makes good a user experience better than most.

I am also having a really annoying issue where If I plug my phone (iPhone) into the USB port to charge it the music I am playing thru my phone uses my phones speakers and not the cars :(

This aside loving my car tho :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the issue with the phone speakers playing, rather than than car. I updated the software in the Iphone and the next time around it worked fine.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I found it pretty easy to use once you learn the layout. Never had that issue with the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
I actually like the MMI from the R8.
Compare it to the new Huracan and the R8 is light years ahead of the Lambo. The Lambo one is frustratingcand less features.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've had three Audis with this system total now. Prefer it over most brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is it just me who finds the audi MMI unintuitive to use? I have had my car 2 months now and i still find navigation app so difficult to use. I work in the digital space so understand what makes good a user experience better than most.

I am also having a really annoying issue where If I plug my phone (iPhone) into the USB port to charge it the music I am playing thru my phone uses my phones speakers and not the cars :(

Im with you, the MMI is not intuitive and pretty buggy (this may be an update issues we'll see) I've used MMI, my wifes Merc and i-drive and somehow I prefer i-drive.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Having three Audis, I no longer have to think about it. It's second nature at this point. Also, having CarPlay on two of three just gives me even more ways to interface with the system (Waze, Apple Maps, etc.). Most of the time I'm either using voice recognition, handwriting recognition, or the myAudi app to push addresses to all my cars. Using the Map/Nav toggle will always shortcut you straight to the application. I can't think of a more advanced system out there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hamd down BMW's idrive is THE best system of any manufacturer, its lightyears ahead in design, usability and functional. Personally im not a fan of the MMI even in the Gen2 but it is still far better than Mercedes and others so isnt all bad

·
Registered
412 Posts
I like it. More advanced than Porsche. The electronics at least. :)
Nav is simple - push the speaker button and say 'take me to address'. Done.
Or say 'OK google, take me to address'. Uses Waze.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Audi system at all. I find it confused and odd the way there are different ways to do the same thing, but that not every option comes up if you use the wrong method of accessing each menu. I posted about this on here a while ago.

I personally much prefer having a central screen also, so that a passenger can fiddle about with things like sat nav etc while I'm driving. I'm sure the more you use it the easier it becomes but I don't get to drive mine that often. It seems every time I get in I have to relearn it again. I don't have this problem in any other car, so I agree with the OT.

·
Registered
119 Posts

I am also having a really annoying issue where If I plug my phone (iPhone) into the USB port to charge it the music I am playing thru my phone uses my phones speakers and not the cars

This aside loving my car tho
I found once I spent a couple months in the car I love the MMI.

Easy, one screen, fast, and plenty of info.

Just take the time to learn it.

Sit in your garage in the car and mess with it while you aren't driving. Too many people only try to learn the system while driving. Seriously - learn it and you'll appreciate it's simplicity and speed.

I don't see how anyone can have an issue with it once u properly take time to learn it. It's so simple.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Audi system at all. I find it confused and odd the way there are different ways to do the same thing, but that not every option comes up if you use the wrong method of accessing each menu. I posted about this on here a while ago.

I personally much prefer having a central screen also, so that a passenger can fiddle about with things like sat nav etc while I'm driving. I'm sure the more you use it the easier it becomes but I don't get to drive mine that often. It seems every time I get in I have to relearn it again. I don't have this problem in any other car, so I agree with the OT.
This is exactly how I feel. I do like the Idrive system. I even like the Mercedes interface more than the MMI. One thing tho, the new MB UI in the 18+ S-class is much more work to use than the one in 14-17.

I didn’t drive the r8 for a couple weeks and definitely had to get acclimated again. CarPlay does make it a little better to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
81 Posts

I'm in the same boat! I use my car for high days and holidays only. Every time I get in it, I need to re-learn the MMI all over again. It is not user friendly imo at all, and the lack of a centre screen (although I also like the clean dash design) means that my wife never see's what track is playing, or able to enter sat nav info on the fly. The virtual ****pit is great, but why can't it be shared with the passenger? Just seems a bit daft in lack of practicality.

That V10 sure makes up for a lot :-D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts