Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that for 2009, that the navigation option is no longer a forced option. I don't have a lot of use for the system, plus I have a Garmin Nuvi for the rare time I actually need help. How good is the Audi Nav system compared to these consumer GPS products? I find the Nuvi to be outstanding. If I used navigation a lot, I would not want to clutter the look of the car, but I won't have a lot of use for it.

Any thoughts on this or the wisdom of foregoing the option?

·
Registered
97 Posts
It appears that for 2009, that the navigation option is no longer a forced option. I don't have a lot of use for the system, plus I have a Garmin Nuvi for the rare time I actually need help. How good is the Audi Nav system compared to these consumer GPS products? I find the Nuvi to be outstanding. If I used navigation a lot, I would not want to clutter the look of the car, but I won't have a lot of use for it.

Any thoughts on this or the wisdom of foregoing the option?
You want (and need) the back up camera...I believe it can only be obtained as part of the Navigation option.
When I ordered my MB SL55 AMG, I talked to an SL expert who sources and advises on collectible Mercedes. His advice...order a fully optioned vehicle.
These are the rare cars that will bring the dollars as collectible cars down the line.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
You want (and need) the back up camera...I believe it can only be obtained as part of the Navigation option.
When I ordered my MB SL55 AMG, I talked to an SL expert who sources and advises on collectible Mercedes. His advice...order a fully optioned vehicle.
These are the rare cars that will bring the dollars as collectible cars down the line.
Just to clarify: the back up camera is part of the "Premium Package" option (see below) which does not included the Nav system. I agree that the back up camera is important. I also have the Nav option and I think it is good.

Premium Package:

Audi parking system with rearview camera

Six CD changer

Audi hill hold assist

HomeLink® universal garage door opener

Bluetooth® phone preparation

Auto dimming exterior mirror, electrically adjustable/folding/
heated

Storage package

·
Registered
193 Posts
I ordered mine without navigation, mainly because in a couple of years the on-board system will be obsolete and $200 removable systems will have more features.

The on-board cell phone in my '97 A8 stares at me every time I enter the car. I haven't used it for years. I wish I could neatly remove it but I haven't found a way...

R
Manual white/light grey alcantara scheduled to be delivered in April

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am getting the premium package with the back up camera, etc. No doubt about that. The navigation option is just for the navigation system, and maybe the SD card slot. I too have the obsolescence concern about the nav system. I expect in a few years, it will be a quaint curiosity at best, given the relentless march of technology. I wonder even now, how well it compares to the better removable systems.

·
Registered
156 Posts
yes it is true the portable navigation systems are getting better and better,
heck i just saw one for the first time in use the other day and it had better features than my bmw navi...but we all know that german cars do not have the most technological gadgets... :(
the japanese definitely captured that market...
so my question is, why can't we have the good navigation systems like the japanese cars??? i mean they are all outsourced anyways...

well i always like going with the factory navigation model only because it blends in well, going with a garmin and having it stick out especially with power cables, is just unattractive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Granted a RNS-E NAV system may get outdated, but not for now. The newer NAV discs carry newer software and maps. Also add that fact, the NAV radio carries 2 SD cards slots, and the NAV DVD slot does play MP3 music cd's which the CD changer can't right now. At least, I haven't seen it introduced yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
garmin is way better. you can find your destination in a matter of moments. with the Audi NAV (and all german navs) you are twiddling away on knobs and such. I have it...but i agree it's already outdated compared to navigation you'd find in your portable garmin or a Toyota.

·
Registered
40 Posts
garmin is way better. you can find your destination in a matter of moments. with the Audi NAV (and all german navs) you are twiddling away on knobs and such. I have it...but i agree it's already outdated compared to navigation you'd find in your portable garmin or a Toyota.
Funny thing is, Japs are who make the NAV. Wonder who is holding back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi kthacher,

That really depends on which one you buy. Even my super-cheap Mio will allow trip planning with multiple vias.

I've used pretty much every type of GPS system; PDA based, laptop based, cell phone based, smartphone based, handheld, in-dash, and portable dashboard types. I will say that none of them worked as well as even a cheap dashboard type GPS navigator for navigating in the car. None of them are "master of all trades" and you should buy the one that is *most* built for what you're going to use it for. Each has their own limitations but the portable dashboard car units have all their limitations carefully selected to not interfere with your ability to use it to navigate in your car. Which is what you bought it for. And while my in-car nav systems will allow lat/long based satellite positioning they still suck when hiking compared to my handheld unit that's made for hiking. See what I'm getting at?

Here's my recommendation: http://www.cartoys.com/Default.cfm/p/Mio_C230

And since you mentioned it, I've never liked any laptop based navigation package.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alexander,

Thanks for the input. Part of my reason for the question is that I own a Garmin Nuvi 660 now, and I am extremely satisfied with its performance. I travel a lot on business and bringing it along for the rental car has been a huge stress reliever in strange places. My expectation was/is that the in-dash systems will rapidly fall behind what these devices can do. Also, most of my driving in the R8 will be in areas where I need no navigation help at all. So I am having a hard time justifying this option, when I think it will be obsolete performance-wise real soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There was a report recently that one of the new Hyundais or Kias (I think....) will be sold with a slot cut into the dash to fit a Tom-Tom sat-nav unit, giving owners the option to purchase whichever unit they prefer or none at all, and of course the option to upgrade if a better featured model appears. There was also talk a year or so back about Microsoft making a DIN-sized unit capable of sat-nav, radio and bluetooth.

The ultimate solution to my mind would be a return to the days of standard- fitting radios, large enough to include a 7" or similar sat-nav display, and owners able to choose a system that suits them and upgrade it as improved systems appear. It's pretty unbelievable that you can't buy a fitted system that does sat-nav, radio, bluetooth and safety camera/road angel type functions.

I guess manufacturers would be concerned about theft of standard-sized units, and of course the loss of a great source of revenue from madly overpriced sat-nav systems.

·
Registered
156 Posts
not sure about the audi r8,
but i know in most cars, you can upgrade your radio to either a double din nav system or a single din nav unit that has a monitor that slides out..and does all the bells and whistles as you mentioned before, far surpassing the factory unit.
many manufactures make them, such as pioneer, alpine, kenwood..etc...

the only down side with these units is that not all can be installed to be compatible with your steering wheel functions...especially when it comes to german cars :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts