Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for either a R8 or Porsche 911 Turbo and after doing some research on both cars it seems the R8 has some rather big gotchas. One being the magnetic ride suspension and the other being the AC compressor. I have heard some people paying upwards of $9k for replacement shocks and another $5-7k for an AC compressor. Ouch! I'm no stranger to super cars and have had many Porsches and even a Aston Martin (very reliable) over the years but never had any type of repair bills like that. It's almost like Audi planned the magnetic ride issue as I have noticed they won't even cover them under warranty and consider them as "wear items" like tires. This seems absurd as shocks should last a heck of a lot longer than 15k miles or 2 years and I'm pretty sure Audi is the only one that has this type of "shock or strut" language in their warranty documentation -- can't think of another brand who would NOT warranty a failed shock. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and even have a lift in my garage but don't think I could stomach replacing shocks ever two years. My questions are:

1. Are there any rebuild services available in the US with warranties?
2. Why does the AC compressor cost so much to replace? Does the engine have to be removed to get to it?
3. Is carbon build up a problem?
4. Are there any other issues I should look out for? I'm only interested in 3 pedal manual transmission cars with the 4.2 V8.

Thanks for your time!
Dan

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good luck with the search, 2 great choices. Go for the R8 as the mid-engine layout, sound (with aftermarket exhaust) and looks are +1 over the 911 Turbo!

1. From other threads, sounds like a person or 2 has used a rebuild service in Poland
2. Yes in a V8 ~38 hours of labor, No in a V10 ~10 hours
3. Some owners have experienced power loss and had decoking but mileage seems to vary as to when this happens
4. Shocks and AC are the big ones. Get a warranty, several good options mentioned in other threads, as they will cover the AC. Pricing tiers are 10k, 25k and i believe 35k and as of 2016 convertibles and GT's aren't covered any longer. With the 6MT another cost consideration would be replacing the clutch. Know this sounds painful but I factored in getting an aftermarket warranty $3k for my '12 V10 18k miles and about $5k in repairs into the purchase price. Only 5 months into owning the R8 the AC went over and the warranty has already paid for itself and some.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Dan,

I wouldn't let those prices scare you. Most supercars have their Achilles heels. You've named a few of the currently known (I stress currently since time will inevitably bring new, expensive problems!), but nearly every supercar has a list that owners either need to "sort" or live with, depending upon the options.

The magnetic ride is a fantastic system - it truly allows the R8 to be a livable ride for long journeys. I routinely spend 3+ hours driving the R8 and don't have any issue with sustained ride comfort - largely due to this system. Press the little button and stiffen the suspension? Well, it'll hunker down and help improve handling and grip, but you'll notice it in your back much sooner. So, while I'm willing to live with the downside (potential - or even certainty - of leaking and replacement costs), others choose to replace it with a much less expensive (and longer lasting) passive coil-over setup. Your choice.

On the AC, unfortunately the V8 has it worse off - if it goes, it means an engine out repair due to the placement of the compressor - not the case for the V10.

Supposedly the carbon build-up can be a problem. I make sure to exercise the engine each time it's out - long drives, lots of heat, full use of the rev range, etc. Will it help, I'm not sure. But again, there are remedies. And if you own the car long enough, it's just part of the maintenance.

Again, I wouldn't let it scare you. Most owners here DON'T have stories of horrific repair bills. That said, I think ALL owners should go in expecting the possibility - hope for the best, prepare for the worst. After all, these are very expensive machines (even if depreciated), and the parts and labor are indicative of their original MSRP versus any second-hand values. Just budget for it, and redeploy the funds elsewhere when/if you find they were unnecessary budget line-items.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Well at least I never saw R8 for sale with the description "new motor" as I see with Porsche 997 here in Sweden :)
Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck with the search, 2 great choices. Go for the R8 as the mid-engine layout, sound (with aftermarket exhaust) and looks are +1 over the 911 Turbo!

1. From other threads, sounds like a person or 2 has used a rebuild service in Poland
2. Yes in a V8 ~38 hours of labor, No in a V10 ~10 hours
3. Some owners have experienced power loss and had decoking but mileage seems to vary as to when this happens
4. Shocks and AC are the big ones. Get a warranty, several good options mentioned in other threads, as they will cover the AC. Pricing tiers are 10k, 25k and i believe 35k and as of 2016 convertibles and GT's aren't covered any longer. With the 6MT another cost consideration would be replacing the clutch. Know this sounds painful but I factored in getting an aftermarket warranty $3k for my '12 V10 18k miles and about $5k in repairs into the purchase price. Only 5 months into owning the R8 the AC went over and the warranty has already paid for itself and some.
Thanks for the info! The clutch life in these cars is pretty long? Isn't it?

Dan,

I wouldn't let those prices scare you. Most supercars have their Achilles heels. You've named a few of the currently known (I stress currently since time will inevitably bring new, expensive problems!), but nearly every supercar has a list that owners either need to "sort" or live with, depending upon the options.

The magnetic ride is a fantastic system - it truly allows the R8 to be a livable ride for long journeys. I routinely spend 3+ hours driving the R8 and don't have any issue with sustained ride comfort - largely due to this system. Press the little button and stiffen the suspension? Well, it'll hunker down and help improve handling and grip, but you'll notice it in your back much sooner. So, while I'm willing to live with the downside (potential - or even certainty - of leaking and replacement costs), others choose to replace it with a much less expensive (and longer lasting) passive coil-over setup. Your choice.

On the AC, unfortunately the V8 has it worse off - if it goes, it means an engine out repair due to the placement of the compressor - not the case for the V10.

Supposedly the carbon build-up can be a problem. I make sure to exercise the engine each time it's out - long drives, lots of heat, full use of the rev range, etc. Will it help, I'm not sure. But again, there are remedies. And if you own the car long enough, it's just part of the maintenance.

Again, I wouldn't let it scare you. Most owners here DON'T have stories of horrific repair bills. That said, I think ALL owners should go in expecting the possibility - hope for the best, prepare for the worst. After all, these are very expensive machines (even if depreciated), and the parts and labor are indicative of their original MSRP versus any second-hand values. Just budget for it, and redeploy the funds elsewhere when/if you find they were unnecessary budget line-items.
The magnetic ride and AC are what really do scare me but you do bring up some valid points about a warranty. It's unfortunate Audi really dropped the ball on these two parts. Thanks again for the feedback!

Well at least I never saw R8 for sale with the description "new motor" as I see with Porsche 997 here in Sweden :)
Good luck
Yes, the 997 non turbo is prone to IMS failure and scored cylinders the 997 Turbo's do not have any of these problems. Actually the Mezger engine is probably Porsche's most durable engine with a race proven heritage.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
There is somebody that rebuilds the shocks for Ferrari owners since they have these shocks also.
Just remember General Motors designed these shocks and sell the technology.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is somebody that rebuilds the shocks for Ferrari owners since they have these shocks also.
Just remember General Motors designed these shocks and sell the technology.
Do you know how rebuilds them for Ferrari's?

Yes, I knew this was a GM technology but their magnetic shocks have a much longer service life than the ones from Audi.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Hello guys
Today I am going to see a R8 V10 2012 17.000kms looking like new with Capristo exhaust system

Magnetic ride, I know in the earlier models got a lot of problems before 2011 I think.. Or am I wrong?
Is the magnetic ride still a issue in the latest models? Does anyone like the magnetic ride?

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Good luck. Hope it turns out to be the one. Certainly looks superb.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dan,

Regarding one of your comments, Audi does cover the magnetic ride "struts" under warranty. They do not cover "shock absorbers". Just before I went out of my normal warranty I purchased an extended warranty from my dealer. Actually a "Mechanical Failure Service Contract" administered by a third party "Fidelity Warranty Services" but it is basically an extension of the original Audi warranty. Just last year, with almost 67,000 miles on my R8, my right front strut went out. An inspection showed two of the other struts were leaking. I paid my $100 deductible and all four of the struts were replaced under the warranty. The cost of the extended warranty was definitely worth it in my case.

Frank

·
Registered
889 Posts
Dan, I will parrot what others have mentioned on your thread. ALL cars have problems eventually and with expensive cars comes expensive repairs. The warranty is a good option and one you should seriously consider. I bought my Fidelity 5 year 60K Warranty just before the 25K threshold and I consider this a wise purchase. The strut issue, from what I've read, is a bit hit and miss.....why is beyond me but I clarified and verified with the dealer I purchased my warranty from and jotted down the names of those I spoke with just in case. I think most dealers will cover the struts especially if the mileage is low. Unsure what they might say if the struts have 80k on them.

My 09 R8 6 speed has been a joy and Audi USA has been a pleasure to deal with also when called upon. Good Luck with your hunt and I'll look forward to you telling all about your new steed when you get it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Audi R8. I have had 2 shocks go out for 11,00- dollars and an oil reservoir tank that regurgitated oil into the engine. This is all in a span of 10 months that I have owned the car.

I have a Ferrari that is 2008 that has had no issues for 5 years.

Super cars do not have Achilles heels. They are and should be designed to be perfect from a construction pointmof view. this Supercar is not designed to compete against these.,

Dan, I will parrot what others have mentioned on your thread. ALL cars have problems eventually and with expensive cars comes expensive repairs. The warranty is a good option and one you should seriously consider. I bought my Fidelity 5 year 60K Warranty just before the 25K threshold and I consider this a wise purchase. The strut issue, from what I've read, is a bit hit and miss.....why is beyond me but I clarified and verified with the dealer I purchased my warranty from and jotted down the names of those I spoke with just in case. I think most dealers will cover the struts especially if the mileage is low. Unsure what they might say if the struts have 80k on them.

My 09 R8 6 speed has been a joy and Audi USA has been a pleasure to deal with also when called upon. Good Luck with your hunt and I'll look forward to you telling all about your new steed when you get it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts