Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Audi has been teasing the world with rumors of an electric car debut at the Frankfurt Auto Show, but executives have gone so far as to flatly deny the existence of an electric R8.

Now the folks over at WorldCarFans have received a selection of renderings for an R8 called the E-Tron. (Apparently Tron is a running theme this year, with BMW's Vision EfficientDynamics Concept looking like something from the movie).

The photos show an obvious R8 profile with several differences, including a new front grille, different headlights, a new rear end design and wheels. Most notably different, however, is the interior, which shows a clean cockpit with an LCD screen between the main gauges. There is also an LED screen on the driver's A-pillar.

Unless Audi decided to fess-up to the Electric R8, we'll have to wait until the automaker's press conference tomorrow (September 15th) at the Frankfurt Auto Show and keep watching ElectricityUntamed.com.

More: Leaked: Audi R8 E-Tron Electric Car Concept Images Sneak Out Ahead of Frankfurt Debut on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I know they don't need the air intakes anymore but...why get rid of the sideblade :confused: They got rid of it for the spider version but atleast theres something there...this has nothing and it just doesn't look right.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
gonna poke around the other pics, but not a fan. Looks like a Toy TT.

*edit* yeah, that thing does not scream R8. Looks more like the fake R8 transformers toy from the last movie. I'm guessing it's real, but I hope it's not.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
When you consider it being an R8 it doesn't look good but considering it as any other car its good looking. Either way i still plan on getting one, but only if it has good spec, charging time is one thing im looking out for.

·
Registered
761 Posts
why get rid of the sideblade
Spider, V12, Electric, V8, anti-matter, V10, Nuclear, H2O, W24 with octo-turbochargers or whatever ... I agree, why get rid of the sideblades?!?!?!?! :confused::confused::confused:

The sideblades are what define a R8! :mad:

Could just be a sketch though, i need to chill. :)

PS: Audi's going a bit out of control in their quest to become the "#1 car maker by 2015" with all their new (sometimes confusing) models: A5 4 doors??? potential R4??? potential R8 4 door??? what else?: 2 door Q7? 4 door TT? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Spider, V12, Electric, V8, anti-matter, V10, Nuclear, H2O, W24 with octo-turbochargers or whatever ... I agree, why get rid of the sideblades?!?!?!?! :confused::confused::confused:

The sideblades are what define a R8! :mad:

Could just be a sketch though, i need to chill. :)

PS: Audi's going a bit out of control in their quest to become the "#1 car maker by 2015" with all their new (sometimes confusing) models: A5 4 doors??? potential R4??? potential R8 4 door??? what else?: 2 door Q7? 4 door TT? :confused:
hadn't heard of a 4-door R8! But yeah, regarding the blades, I wonder if having them there made the car less efficient (drag) and thus had to be removed. Efficiency becomes a major factor in electric cars (since range is already a problem)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
0-62mph in 4.8 Seconds and 154 mile range apparently...really disappointing so i won't be getting that! If i decide on an electric car i'll go with a Tesla.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Agreed. Now if it LOOKED like the R8, it might be a good trade-off, but if it's going to look as ugly as the Roadster, might as well go for the better performance.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
with the poor range and performance of this concept, tesla should be relieved.

ultimately though, it is just a concept designed to generate column inches - production spec is what matters (if/when they ever get to that). I'd be surprised if an r8 based model is the way audi dips their toe into production electric cars.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I agree the production spec is what matters, i can see them being better but not by much...unless Audi realises the concept specs have disappointed people and then they'll take time and put in a lot of effort to make it a lot better.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Hmmmm..no comment on the toy

But are they getting this all arse about to appease the environmentalists and greenies.

More electric cars needs more power stations..Right?.. means more greenhouse gasses???

I unfortuntaltley take the Jermey Clarkson point of view on Global warming and believe its a money making exercise for corporations and study and research grants.

How naive and insensitive am I.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm not sure whether the global warming malarky is real or not but the fact is petrol and oil will eventually run out. Electric cars will be the future as far as we all know but i'm just wondering if they'll be as good as cars we have today, but they do need time.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I agree with Davey. Pollution aside (and duh, who wouldn't want less cars polluting? Sure there's coal power plants, but they're so refined, they're certainly cleaner than millions of unchecked gas guzzlers on the road), electric cars lower our dependency on oil and in the end, I believe will be cheaper to own.

Why NOT go for renewable energy over finite fuel sources?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
More electric cars needs more power stations..Right?.. means more greenhouse gasses???
depends how you make the power. if you've a fast flowing stream with a decent drop height or strong enough wind on your property, then you can make enough power to charge it it just from that with a relatively modest initial outlay.

in terms of national infrastructure, the beauty of electric cars is there are so many different ways to make electricity and as new methods come on stream they just improve the process without requiring redesigns for the cars. there's also the issue of improving performance by changing out battery tech and motors. lots of upside to electric cars if they can crack the range and charging time issues - there have been quite a few interesting ideas re the latter eg battery swaps and capacitors vs batteries.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
theregister has an article on it and it doesn't sound too promising for this being made into production:

Sadly, Audi is currently telling anyone with - presumably - very deep pockets that e-tron is currently just a concept. Apparently one designed to give it a greater understanding of battery and electric motor systems.
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/09/17/audi_etron/

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I agree with Davey. Pollution aside (and duh, who wouldn't want less cars polluting? Sure there's coal power plants, but they're so refined, they're certainly cleaner than millions of unchecked gas guzzlers on the road), electric cars lower our dependency on oil and in the end, I believe will be cheaper to own.

Why NOT go for renewable energy over finite fuel sources?
Totally agree but would not Hydrogen engines be of more potential long term..Such as the FCX Clarity or...

How about micro nuclear charged performance cars that run with self sufficient reactors with recycle waste recovery power.

Then have them available with optional ROD injection similar to nitro

Ok... I am now being totally stupid and I am taking my medication .;)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
hydrogen requires a network of fuel stations - electric can be charged via domestic charging units plus there's already an electricity distribution network in place that can be tapped in to outside of the home too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts