Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
How did he manage to swing it all the way to the right side? Looks like he lost the rear but has had a lot of momentum going straight. Guess it grabbed the road too much before getting off and pulled him right.

Atleast he only took a slow speed hit completely along the side. Spread the force out much more. Still, that's gonna cost him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
he was closing fast on the Viper in the chicane an I am guessing he either lifter or touched the brakes as he crested the right hander. Sometimes it is just a small mistake like that which cuts the fun short

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wow he made that look easy ?

i had a few scary ones today in the rain, the broad tyres were aquaplaning like fook!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I am guessing he either lifted or touched the brakes as he crested the right hander.
I would agree with this, and that he had the traction control turned off, as well as over-correcting with the steering. Stiffer springs would also have helped with keeping the car's weight more firmly planted with the road after cresting the small hill.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A great example of over enthusiastic track driving with a performance car.

Looks like the red mist descended and he just had to try and pass the car in front ;)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
94 Posts
He was WAY too fast and got very light over the crest and span as he tried to turn. Had he not tried to make the corner he would have probably gone on to hit the Viper, so he chose the best option - unwittingly!

No traction control or ESP in the world would have saved him - you can't change the laws of physics.

It was a red mist moment, and a very costly one at that!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think he forget it was a trackday not a raceday. Do feel very sorry for him though.

·
Registered
367 Posts
No traction control or ESP in the world would have saved him - you can't change the laws of physics.
I'd like to know if the driver had shut it off.
The rear end stepped out so quickly and he attempt to "catch" the car, though a little late, it's hard to believe ESP wouldn't have helped in that situation. It seems the first thing so many do when driving on the track (or just agressively, for that matter) is shut off the stability control. Precisely what might save their ass when they need it the most!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Having experienced the joy of a day on the track with an R8 @ Infineon, I was amazed by this video clip, because it initially seems to be kind of suprising behavior, compared to what I saw and felt for myself. So I have been studying in this video carefully for some clues as to what, exactly, did go wrong here. I agree with the preceeding comments. I think he was "too fast" (probably correct that he got a little aggressive about the Viper), and I think he did "lift" as part of the final spin, but I think I detect another element from close study, and I'd like to know if some of you agree with me.

Watch closely after he passes the road that branches off to the right. Either slow the video if you have the ability to do so or watch it with a series of double taps on pause, so you can carefully study what's happening. What I see here is an unusual amount of right wheel turn angle entering the turn where he spins. Watch the longer video or even this clip and you don't see this much wheel input for this amount of turn.

Is this understeer? I don't think so. What I think is going on is that he was right on the ragged edge on the TURN BEFORE THE TURN WHERE HE SPINS. I think he is counter-steering ever so slightly for some rear drift to the right from the slight left turn before the fatal spin turn. I think he overcorrects, lifts and then totally looses it and what we see so spectacularly is what I've seen Porsches do so often. When the back end starts to go, the driver over corrects, looses it the other way and does a snap spin off the INSIDE of the turn. I think that is what is happening here, but there just happens to be a turn the OTHER direction in close sequence, so he appears to go off on the OUTSIDE. And, in a sense, he did because he lost it on the correction probably only because there was a second turn there, he lifted (and likely had his stability control off also) and also was unweighted by the slight crest. I don't think an R8 with esp on is tail heavy enough to loose it from that correction (or if he'd had a slower speed through the PRECEEDING turn, he would'nt have lost it there). Looks like circumstances just combined to do him in! That's my theory anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
well obviously he was too fast; I'm just interested as to exactly how he "lost it" and why he got the interesting result he did (spun on a right hand turn and ended up on the right side of the track); it's very clear that he has way too much wheel angle on turn in: why? you can always go slower and not worry about such, I suppose.

·
Registered
94 Posts
well obviously he was too fast; I'm just interested as to exactly how he "lost it" and why he got the interesting result he did (spun on a right hand turn and ended up on the right side of the track); it's very clear that he has way too much wheel angle on turn in: why? you can always go slower and not worry about such, I suppose.
I would say he had two much turn in given

(1) he can't drive
(2) the front end was light over the crest
(3) panic

He had two choices given his speed. (Probably) unwittingly he made the right one, because going straight on, he may have collided with the Viper

1 - 19 of 19 Posts