Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed it, but it should have been broadcasted last weekend? Anyone?

·
Registered
62 Posts
if your office firewall permits. check youtube now. entire episodes of top gear always makes it to youtube

·
Registered
381 Posts
They loved the car, and on the Top Gear test track, it smoked the 911, posting a 1.24.x vs 1.26.y (can't recall what x and y were, unfortunately!)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Clarkson loves it (really loves it except the looks and the Council House lights :) )

Hamster loves the 911 (it was his he was driving)

It beat the 2S by 1.8 seconds (driven by Stig) on a dampish track.

Sorry JamboTT - cross posted

·
Registered
381 Posts
Although the times were great, and the comments were fantastic, the best thing (for me) was the composure of the R8 (compared to the 911) on the track. I'm not talking about the tail-out antics - both drivers managed that, although the 911 more so. If you look carefully at the videos, notice how 'flat' the R8 is through corners and changes of direction. Versus the body-roll of the 911, it was serene and graceful.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's also worth noting that the timed laps were on a DAMP track!!!. Mighty impressive when you look at the list of cars that trail in its' wake. This is my "build week" Get on with it guys, I can't wait.:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
He also mentioned that the V10 will not be from Lambo (aka a detuned 5.0 Gallardo engine) but the Audi 5.2 V10.

Now given that the normally aspirated version of this engine is rated around 460hp (I think), which is little for the extra 2 cylinders compared to the V8's 420hp...
there is a good chance it will be the RS6's twin turbo V10 (580hp)!!!:D

·
Registered
718 Posts
No. See other threads.

It will not have a turbo and is likely to be in the 500 - 520 bhp range, whilst the Gallardo will be upgraded to 550 +

·
Registered
367 Posts
Top Gear is probably the most subjective, but entertaining, car test show out there. Even their attempt at objectivity, the "Stig" track results, are affected by numerous variables including weather and driver. Maybe if they ran a "control" car first and worked out a correction factor for each run? Just how could the R8 seriously outperform the Gallardo with MUCH more power, less weight and essentially the same chassis anyway?

And why does the Porsche 911 C2S with 355HP BEAT (if only by a nose) the V8 powered 414HP R8? I know they liked the car, but it's still a stubby over-priced little thing and at the very least should soundly beat the C2S in every category. Just wait till Porsche bumps the power with direct injection and optimizes it's delivery with the dual-clutch transmission in '09!

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Just how could the R8 seriously outperform the Gallardo with MUCH more power, less weight and essentially the same chassis anyway?
The superleggera was only just over a second faster around Cadwell Park when CAR magazine tested them:

Porsche GT3 - 53.81s
Gallardo superleggera - 54.45s
R8 - 55.56s

Something that keeps coming back in the reviews of the r8 is the term "confidence inspiring" which may well go some way to explain it.

As for the drag race, there are so many factors in a single race with 2 different drivers (especially when one of the drivers is driving their own car) that they're good entertainment but not exactly scientific.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Top Gear is probably the most subjective, but entertaining, car test show out there. Even their attempt at objectivity, the "Stig" track results, are affected by numerous variables including weather and driver. Maybe if they ran a "control" car first and worked out a correction factor for each run? Just how could the R8 seriously outperform the Gallardo with MUCH more power, less weight and essentially the same chassis anyway?

And why does the Porsche 911 C2S with 355HP BEAT (if only by a nose) the V8 powered 414HP R8? I know they liked the car, but it's still a stubby over-priced little thing and at the very least should soundly beat the C2S in every category. Just wait till Porsche bumps the power with direct injection and optimizes it's delivery with the dual-clutch transmission in '09!
PLEASE just remember that if performance was just about posting numbers then Corvettes and Vipers would certainly be up there too (and they are for straight line performance). One has to remember that this is one of the best handling cars out there. If you've seen the videos and what not then you can certainly see that "Stability & Handling" are the middle names of car. That's why the car is better suited for circuit track performance or the bends and twists of roads.

Amen to "Audi Stability & Handling R8"!

·
Registered
604 Posts
They actually ran both cars on the same day with the same driver with the same conditions. The gap was NOT milliseconds.

The chassis is not the same as the Gallardo.

Stig seems to be quite talented and has surely stopped the argument that said the R8 easier to drive quickly out of the box but a skilled driver in a 911 would in the end be quicker.

Drag racing is to a degree about inital grip - 911 has always had that as all the weight is over the driven wheels.

You cannot compare it to a car that doesn't exist yet. I bet the revised R8 they bring out in 2010 is better than the 911 from 2009 etc etc.

I like the 911 it is a very fine car but my cash is going with the R8.

Eventually people believed the world was round :)

The usual garbled post - sorry

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ok, I'm gonna add my bit.

1. Launching any AWD Sportscar is a Black Art (Not Easy). Too little revs and it bogs down. Too many revs and you fry the clutch. If Clarkson had the R-Tronic, he'd simply select launch control and let the car do the rest for an optimal launch. I bet the 911 would have been left for dead.

2. I honestly don't think the V8 R8 is the fastest sportscar in the world BUT it seems like IT IS suited to short and tight tracks. Where handling, chassis balance, braking and grip are key factors. Also, Gallardos, 911s, etc all have different gearing, which plays an important part in the equation as well.

3. Yes, I agree. Top Gear tests are not very scientific and they should have pitched the R8 against the 911 C4S NOT the C2S. Regardless, in terms of power to weight, the C2S and R8 are very, very close. Since the C2S is much lighter.

At the end of the day the R8 handles like a dream and seems to do everything with confidence. It may NOT be the quickest around all tracks and dragstrips, BUT, for the money, you get a HOT looking, highly capable, very solid sportscar, that is really stirring up the Sportscar community.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Whilst they've had a couple of changes of 'Stig' from time to time, he is, indeed, usually very qualified.

As the Stig has been 'allowed' to drive an F1 car, there is the automatic assumption that he holds the highest class of racing license, and is probably an ex-F1 tester or similar. Or at least that incarnation of the Stig was.

1.8 seconds difference is quite some way on a single lap of a relatively short circuit - and what the C2S lacks in the "driven wheels" and "power" areas, it makes up for in being lighter weight.

That the R8 was shown to be slower on the standing 1/4 (who knows whether it was or not?) emphasises EVEN MORE that Audi have built a better handling car than the 911 - as if the Porsche can out-accelerate it in a straight line, the R8 must be able to either get the power down earlier, or hold a higher amount of speed in the bends - either of which points to greater stability and better handling.

If the lap times on the Top Gear board are of the current 997 incarnation, then the R8 was also quicker than the GT3 (which is excellent news) although slightly slower than the GT3 RS (which is entirely to be expected).

It is disappointing that Top Gear never posted a time for the RS4, as that would be an excellent comparison. I think the R8 should hope to have 2-2.5 seconds advantage around that track, given a similar weight and identical power outputs...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Is it just me, or did the Porsche start the 1/2 mile drag race with its nose well over the line while the Audi was a similar distance behind the line? (Use the still frame advance, and you'll see this was not just the angle from which the photo was taken. The Porsche's front overhang clearly sits atop the start line while the Audi's stands well behind it.)

In fact, the Audi looks to have started the race about as far behind the Porsche as it finished the race.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts