Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a lovely R8 this lunch time at Bellevue/Microsoft area, there was only a few cars on the road me, a truck in front and the R8 on the right. No one behind us. He could have easily pulled in behind us to make his left hand turn, but no. he decides to show us all his manliness by cutting in front of the truck and I mean RIGHT in front (about 2 feet ahead of his bumper) and scoot to the far left lane to turn into the shopping area, which he did at excessive speed (lots of pedestrians crossing to/from the shops) and I asked myself WHY..WHY be a ****?? With a 120k car do you really need to behave this way getting from A to B. What are we supposed to do get on our knees and unzip you at your mighty power? I was tempted to follow him just to see who was driving, but I might not have been responsible for my words/actions if I had. Just FYI. Be good out there your not gods, MM kay?

Signs out

·
Registered
943 Posts
I saw someone with a Civic, and someone with a Focus do the same thing.

What was the point of posting this? Why not post this on AllCarsTalk.com?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can understand someone with a civic or focus behaving this way, but a $112,000 car? Just curious whats in the mind of a rich bugger to act like that. I guess power corrupts absolutely.

I saw someone with a Civic, and someone with a Focus do the same thing.

What was the point of posting this? Why not post this on AllCarsTalk.com?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Absolutely right. It's not what's being driven, it's who's driving. And oy wouldn't matter what this individual was driving - R8 or Miata. Unfortunately, these folks give us responsible and considerate owners a bad rep.

·
Registered
494 Posts
This is clearly a grandstanding post by someone with a chip on his shoulder. One guy in an R8 drives like an idiot and he feels compelled to post something that slams R8 owners in the title. Idiot drivers come in all shapes, sizes, ages, and drive every car imaginable. Sheesh.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I saw someone in LP640 and a SLR do that. What does the car have to do with driving like an a**hole?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't think he was particularly slamming ALL R8 owners -- perhaps the title was a little off (or maybe I'm reading it the wrong way). I think I agree to a certain extent that it would be great if all people (R8 owners) were able to act in a courteous manner. I don't mean not to be flashy or loud or accelerating if desired, just the right kind of flashy (i.e. not cutting people off). Then again, maybe he really needed to make the turn!

I have accidentally downshifted a couple times, and people may have thought I was revving to show off--how embarrasing! Then again, there are times people have asked to hear the engine rev in traffic, which is different. Along these lines, I noticed something with the R-tronic during one of these unintented downshifts.

I meant to accelerate away in a higher gear with some pleasant exhaust note with the revs building fast, however, have people noticed two "stops" or levels of flooring it? If you take it all the way down, it will maintain the gear and do maximum acceleration in that gear, but if you press a little harder and push really hard (past the first level to really floored) it will override the R-tronic manual mode and downshift the car. That's what happened to me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Shall we just leave it at that since we are driving one of the world's most desirable cars we should show impeccable behavior ?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
What are we supposed to do get on our knees and unzip you at your mighty power? I was tempted to follow him just to see who was driving, but I might not have been responsible for my words/actions if I had. Just FYI. Be good out there your not gods, MM kay?
to go out of your way and find an r8 forum where you can post a rant like this against all owners of a car based on its cost and the action of one owner reflects more on you than the r8 community.

I meant to accelerate away in a higher gear with some pleasant exhaust note with the revs building fast, however, have people noticed two "stops" or levels of flooring it? If you take it all the way down, it will maintain the gear and do maximum acceleration in that gear, but if you press a little harder and push really hard (past the first level to really floored) it will override the R-tronic manual mode and downshift the car. That's what happened to me.
The r-tronic does a kickdown even in manual mode. The first time it happened to me came as a real shock too as I was just wanting to overtake without any drama but the unexpected kickdown made it seem like I wanted to audition for the fast and the furious. Bugged me for months that it would do this in manual mode, but got used to it now and actually find it useful some times.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just saw a lovely R8 this lunch time at Bellevue/Microsoft area, there was only a few cars on the road me, a truck in front and the R8 on the right. No one behind us. He could have easily pulled in behind us to make his left hand turn, but no. he decides to show us all his manliness by cutting in front of the truck and I mean RIGHT in front (about 2 feet ahead of his bumper) and scoot to the far left lane to turn into the shopping area, which he did at excessive speed (lots of pedestrians crossing to/from the shops) and I asked myself WHY..WHY be a ****?? With a 120k car do you really need to behave this way getting from A to B. What are we supposed to do get on our knees and unzip you at your mighty power? I was tempted to follow him just to see who was driving, but I might not have been responsible for my words/actions if I had. Just FYI. Be good out there your not gods, MM kay?

Signs out
What a ****.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The r-tronic does a kickdown even in manual mode. The first time it happened to me came as a real shock too as I was just wanting to overtake without any drama but the unexpected kickdown made it seem like I wanted to audition for the fast and the furious. Bugged me for months that it would do this in manual mode, but got used to it now and actually find it useful some times.[/QUOTE]

We were advised at the Audi experience day that, in manual Sport mode, you had to lift off the fast pedal or else stomach would end up in mouth with the lurch. Different to flooring it in semi automatic mode all the way to the top.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you. This was exactly what I meant..the driver I saw was doing it intentionally and totally unnecessarily showing off. What are us 'common folk' supposed to do when we see that? Get on our knee's and start s***** you off? I thought someone who obviously has intelligence to make that much money, wouldn't need to devolve to base behavior that I EXPECT to see other drivers doing who don't know any better. You attain a certain status when you can afford a car like that, so why act like a punk in a Honda.

I don't think he was particularly slamming ALL R8 owners -- perhaps the title was a little off (or maybe I'm reading it the wrong way). I think I agree to a certain extent that it would be great if all people (R8 owners) were able to act in a courteous manner. I don't mean not to be flashy or loud or accelerating if desired, just the right kind of flashy (i.e. not cutting people off). Then again, maybe he really needed to make the turn!

I have accidentally downshifted a couple times, and people may have thought I was revving to show off--how embarrasing! Then again, there are times people have asked to hear the engine rev in traffic, which is different. Along these lines, I noticed something with the R-tronic during one of these unintented downshifts.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
to go out of your way and find an r8 forum where you can post a rant like this against all owners of a car based on its cost and the action of one owner reflects more on you than the r8 community.

+ 1
well said !

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Oh, those A-Hole Microsofties!
What was he driving again?

Just kidding. There are a lot of people in this world with the money and the means to buy a car like this as a trophy. He/she was probably loving the nimbleness of the car and is feeling a little like the world revolves around him/her at the moment. It has nothing to do with the particular car make or model. Then again, who knows, it might have been a NYC cabbie that recently won the lottery.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Signs out
Hey slug send me a private message, I'd like to meet you in person.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts