Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
If it turns out like this, can't wait. good job I put a rolling deposit down two years ago for V10 / V12 / targa !

Love the rear window and glass roof with air dam.

Kreso, any ideas if it is for real and when?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it turns out like this, can't wait. good job I put a rolling deposit down two years ago for V10 / V12 / targa !

Love the rear window and glass roof with air dam.

Kreso, any ideas if it is for real and when?
It will be shown in Detroit. When? If audience feedback is very, very positive-mid 2009... Price wise-Porsche 997 GT2 level...

More news soon... I am going to Neckarsulm factory from 21.-23. January so, I will post lot of new stuff... I already know few things about forthcoming R8 V10...

·
Registered
439 Posts
I wonder what the weight of that lump is.
I originally put down a deposit for a V10, thinking I was prepared to wait until it came out. Then impatience got the better of me, and I bought a V8 on which I've now put about 1400 miles. I still have a deposit down on a V10, the plan being to play with the V8 until the V10 comes out.

But the V8 has a handling balance like I've never before experienced and, frankly, I would have difficulty making use of any more power than the car already has.

At this point, I would move to a more powerful R8 only if the handling poise were preserved . . . and I have trouble imagining the engineering that could keep the diesel system's weight from destroying the exquisite balance that now marks this car. I'm even wondering about the V10.

·
Registered
943 Posts
It will be shown in Detroit. When? If audience feedback is very, very positive-mid 2009... Price wise-Porsche 997 GT2 level...

More news soon... I am going to Neckarsulm factory from 21.-23. January so, I will post lot of new stuff... I already know few things about forthcoming R8 V10...
Yikes. Would definitely not pay 80K more for a v12. That is retarded.

I live in Detroit, so I'll be at NAIAS in the coming weeks. We'll see what the surprises are.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Don't hold your breath for an R8 with that big lump of a V12 diesel anytime soon. Why aren't they using the Tourag's V10?
I like many of the styling enhancements, that front splitter would not last too long in the real world, however.
First look at operational LED headlights. They look nice, especially the LED strip turn signals which the xenons should use also. I'm curous what the high-beam / flash-to-pass light is - a blued halogen? The xenons should incorporate these also in addition to their "bi" feature!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have seen factory projections of a 0-60 mph time of 4.2 seconds for the diesel. For all the extra weight, complexity, and cost that's very little improvement over the factory figures of 4.4 seconds for the V8. The diesel's claim to fame seems more to be gas mileage (23 est. mpg) than dynamic performance.

A 0.2 second improvement in acceleration would be a very poor trade for any loss in the current R8's superb balance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have seen factory projections of a 0-60 mph time of 4.2 seconds for the diesel. For all the extra weight, complexity, and cost that's very little improvement over the factory figures of 4.4 seconds for the V8. The diesel's claim to fame seems more to be gas mileage (23 est. mpg) than dynamic performance.

A 0.2 second improvement in acceleration would be a very poor trade for any loss in the current R8's superb balance.
those numbers are very understated this car has 740lbs/tq !!!! thats just insane not even an s65 amg has that kind of torque im pretty sure this car would be able to hang with an lp640 for a while with that much power going to the ground....................imagine the burnouts u can do with this thing :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
Am I missing the point ?

What's the point of a V12 diesel ???

The V10 petrol should produce better acceleration and 200 mph top speed. It should also be lighter in weight

·
Registered
439 Posts
those numbers are very understated . . .
Why would Audi grossly understate the numbers for a car that will encounter considerable resistance by virture of being both an unconventional technology in this class and by being considerably more expensive? Fuel costs are hardly the first order of concern for most buyers of high-performance sports cars, who tend to be much more impressed by acceleration.

Granted, factory acceleration figures are always a bit conservative to allow for the variances in individual engines. (In fact, according to most tests, the 4.4 figure for the V8 is also conservative.) But they are seldom hugely conservative.

I suspect a lot of the impressive torque of the engine will go toward pushing greater weight and handling the taller gearing to deliver the gas mileage. I replaced an SL55 (516 lb/ft of torque) with the R8, and I can tell you that the R8 -- despite having only 61% of the torque -- feels as quick. And, if both the factory figures and the times posted for the two cars on DragTimes.com can be believed, it is as quick.

·
Registered
14 Posts

ANY INFO ON A BALL PARK PRICE OF THE V10 / V12 DIESEL WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!:confused: THANKS---ALL OTHER INFO IS ALSO A HELP TO THE GUY'S STILL WAITING ON THEIR R8'S--------THANKS AGAIN SAMMY:cool:

·
Registered
178 Posts
R8 guy at my dealership reckons about £20K more than V8 R8. Also seems sure it WILL happen. It will be a first for Audi,ie a diesel supercar. It really is "out there". It looks BRUTAL:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Love the top of the car!!! The air scoop (or whatever you call those) sucks more air to the engine bay. I guess can't be added aftermarket on the V8's :(

Are the bucket seats finally standard too?

Not so sure about the start/stop button when you still have to stick the key in.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes, the air scoop is awesome and would have an AIR RAM effect by forcing air into the engine! Also, notice the DIS is now colour LCD - shame the V8 isn't :(

Also, notice the Ferrari Style Manetino around the start button? Select Race, Sport mode etc!

I can't wait for the V10, I hope it has these improvement also!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts