Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Audi R8
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The age-old question,

Asked by every single person looking to get an Audi R8, do I ever regret my decision to get the V8 vs the V10. I wanted to share my thoughts in this video and hear your thoughts and why you chose the engine you have today. To be honest, you cannot go wrong with either choice IMHO, it is more personal factors and budget that really decide this, but maybe I am wrong :)

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Good quality production again, well done. That said, there are a few questionable remarks in the commentary:

1. The title graphics state that the V10 is 512hp. This isn't the case. It is 518bhp, or 525PS.
2. You say that the V8 is more reliable than the V10. What is this based on? The V10 has proven reliability, and is so well built that is used in GT racing cars with no additional mods. Furthermore, the V8s suffer from the dreaded carbon build up much more than the V10s.
3. You remark that the V10 came from Lamborghini. This is incorrect. The 5.2 V10 in the Lamborghinis actually came from Audi.
4. You mention that a V8 selling point is its high-revving nature. The V10 actually revs higher than the V8.

The above said, another enthusiastic video CR, thank you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Great video. Reasons why I personally went with the V10 even though it was really a bit of a stretch for my budget at the time:

1. 8700 RPM redline instead of 8200.
2. Most of them don't have the dreaded frame concerns since they came out around the time the issue started getting rectified.
3. Much easier to find the right spec since there's more V10s out there than V8s.
4. Going along the lines of #3, a lot of the V8s even in the later years don't come specced as well, such as a lot of the carbon options. This may be that V8 buyers are more budget conscious.
5. The relatively common AC compressor issue doesn't require engine out by the book for the V10.

After owning the car for a few years now, I can add the following:

1. The initial difference of 20k that you had mentioned between the V8 and V10 only seems to have widened. I bought my car around the time that you were tentatively selling yours.
2. When other people ask if it's the V8 or the V10, it's less of a disappointment, though this isn't really too important. Who cares what other people think anyway?
3. Maybe it's a psychological thing, but I do like that I do have the higher redline on the V10. I think I personally would've regretted going with a V8. At this point, I can safely say that there's not really any other cars that I want to step up to, being that one of my criteria is having a manual. The only thing that could provide me with a potentially better experience is a manual F430 or something, but is that 2 or 3 times the car as its price tag would suggest? I don't think so.

·
Registered
2011 R8 V10 Manual
12 Posts
You know what they say, there's no replacement for displacement. V10 all day long with that 8700rpm limiter! In terms of reliability, there are definite pro's to the V10 in terms of AC compressor and carbon build up. The only down side is the cost of 2 extra spark plugs 😂

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
Ahh, here's one we haven't discussed. :) Well, here's my $0.02.

The V8 is the original - there's no replacing that fact. It's a cleaner design, and I actually prefer the way it looks. The sideblades are flush, the rocker panels are simple, and I like that the back panel near the air vents isn't all black but body colored. The V8 is a great sounding engine, and with the right exhaust it blends great engine noises with even better exhaust noises.

However, I chose the V10. Why? Well, most obviously - it's a V10, and you just don't get that many opportunities to own and experience a V10. Its characteristics are exotic - from engine whines, to feel, to exhaust noises. And not just a V10, but a naturally aspirated V10 revving out to 8,700rpm... it was too much to pass up. I also wanted to experience the car with the extra power. Is it necessary to have fun? No. But it's definitely entertaining. Lastly, I also figured this would be near the end of the line to buy a car like this new - and I intended (and still do) to keep it indefinitely.

Which should you buy? Whichever makes you happy.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
one could possibly make a stretch argument the v8 exhaust sounds better if you like the rumbly noise over a race car type sound but that's subjective and otherwise only reason to chose the v8 (as an engine, not entire package) is really the lower cost of purchase
both are great choices but lets be honest

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe Vorsteiner wing/front lip 1016 side skirts, Capristo Exhaust
687 Posts
There is no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Yes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts