Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been using my server to scrape the internet for about a six months now trying to nail down the pricing of 2014-2015 R8’s. The prices shown are the lowest in the listing before it was taken down. The assumption would be that the real sale price is a tiny bit lower. In some cases I was in conversations with the seller at the time of sale so I know the actual sale price. The raw data sheet also houses current active listings under $100K. My data does seam to follow Car Gurus data but their 2015 data set is broken some how. Salvage and Rebuilt data are mostly from CoPart.

Updated 9/23/2020

Car Gurus Market Value:

Raw data can be found here:

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Probably one of the biggest challenges from a data science perspective is just the very small data sets. It's true, in general, of ALL R8s on sale (only ~6,500 Gen-1 cars came to the US over all model years - coupes, spyders, V8s, V10s, manuals, autos, etc.), but it's especially true of the facelift years - there were only two model years (2014 and 2015), and these were very low production. I want to say there were something like less than 500 total 2015's sold (less than half of a peak year like 2011 and the lowest of ALL years by far), and again that was across all body styles, engines, transmissions, trims. I expect the data points can be quite wide as a result.

Aside from being far lower production (and rarer as a result), the facelift cars added several desirable changes including:
  • S-Tronic DCT replaced the R-Tronic. This was largely hailed as the most important change as it gave the R8 a truly modern and fantastic DCT.
  • "Extended Leather" package replaced with "Full Leather" package. Audi added stitched leather to the navigation surround, the center tunnel, parking brake, etc - really now leaving no sign of any plastics and feels even more upscale.
  • Full LED headlights and taillights. The headlights became full LED and were given a revised design.
  • New grille and update intake/exhaust fin design.
  • New exhaust outlets - round design.
  • Audi offered a diamond stitched leather option.
  • Interior switchgear got new chrome-look accents (e.g. window switches, navigation).
  • 2015 only: Audi offered a factory Sport Exhaust option that was more aggressive.
  • 2015 only: Audi offered painted red calipers.
But if it helps, I'll add a data point for a perfect 2015 V10: $priceless :) But to be quite literal about it, I wouldn't sell my R8 for even what I paid new ($191k with taxes). It can't be replaced - spec'd exactly how I wanted it. The R8 is a modern classic - Audi's first production supercar, a legacy of a Le Mans dominating racecar, and the last of an era that had things like large naturally aspirated, high-revving V10s. I expect all of these data points will look like a bargain some day. :)

Reactions: R8inLA

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Totally agree with you. I have been saving for an R8 since Iron Man came out during high school in 2008. One day hopefully I’ll be that guy at the car shows that bought his dream car in his 20’s and never let go😊.

The 2014 / 2015 model years are my favorites by far. Love the updates that come with the facelift. Standard Coupe or Plus are the only two models I am looking at so I should note that in the data set.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Totally agree with you. I have been saving for an R8 since Iron Man came out during high school in 2008. One day hopefully I’ll be that guy at the car shows that bought his dream car in his 20’s and never let go😊.

The 2014 / 2015 model years are my favorites by far. Love the updates that come with the facelift. Standard Coupe or Plus are the only two models I am looking at so I should note that in the data set.
Those cars you fall in love with while young and impressionable - they'll haunt you for life! :) I expect you're one of many that walked away from Iron Man in love with the R8.

Buy it, hold it indefinitely - that's the way to do it. Best of luck in the hunt for your dream car!

Reactions: MrWittel

·
Registered
111 Posts
Those cars you fall in love with while young and impressionable - they'll haunt you for life! :) I expect you're one of many that walked away from Iron Man in love with the R8.

Buy it, hold it indefinitely - that's the way to do it. Best of luck in the hunt for your dream car!
Funny enough I never liked the R8 even though I love Audi (had an S3 and currently an SQ5). The Iron Man thing didnt really appeal to me as much, although I appreciate the fact that it helps keep prices where they are!

Then I drove one, and the first one I drove was a 2011 with a full STASIS package. I was blown away and got my 2014 V10 S-tronic just two months later after driving several variants (6-speed, rtronic, V8s, V10s). It felt closest to the Huracan which is what I wanted without the plastic interior and stigma that comes with Lambo ownership.

I have to admit though, the first two weeks having the car I regretted my decision to not get a lambo. Then I bought an AWE Switchpath exhaust and updated the radio to include carplay. Havent' looked back since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts