Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody

My name is Alex and I am a new owner of a R8, V8 from 2008, LOVE MY r8 but yesterday I experienced problems :(
(Bought it in November - I've run under 600 mils total in the car, It has been put away for storage this winter)

1) It showed a Gearbox malfunction notification in the display.

2) When I turned off the engine and wanted to start it again it would not go into neutral gear.

I finally managed to get it in neutral gear and I was able to start the car. It was driven 5 meters but did not drive properly, it smelled burnt.

The car was quickly turned off and a friend with a faulty reader was called to help me.

3) I had the error codes read out and these appeared on the gearbox:

P172E - Mechanical Malfunction - Intermittent

P17BB - Shift position sensor

Does anyone here know what this is?

Is it the 2 sensors on the gearbox that has to be replaced (Read a post from 2011) ? Where are the sensors placed ? Do you have the serial numbers on them ?

I need to find the cost of 2 new sensors if I am lucky and this can fix the problem.

I hope you can help me with more infomation and what you think the problem is.

Best Regards

Alex

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Hi everybody

My name is Alex and I am a new owner of a R8, V8 from 2008, LOVE MY r8 but yesterday I experienced problems :(
(Bought it in November - I've run under 600 mils total in the car, It has been put away for storage this winter)

2) When I turned off the engine and wanted to start it again it would not go into neutral gear.

I finally managed to get it in neutral gear and I was able to start the car. It was driven 5 meters but did not drive properly, it smelled burnt.

The car was quickly turned off and a friend with a faulty reader was called to help me.

Is it the 2 sensors on the gearbox that has to be replaced (Read a post from 2011) ? Where are the sensors placed ? Do you have the serial numbers on them ?

I need to find the cost of 2 new sensors if I am lucky and this can fix the problem.

Best Regards

Alex
Here's some background information on this problem.

Circular (nhtsa.gov)

Location drawing for sensors Number 19 on the drwg.

pressure sender; solenoid valve; for automated ma... - Audi R8(R8) [EUROPA 2009 year] (7zap.com)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi DaveL,

Thanks a lot :)

Is this a repair I can do at home with a friend or is it hard to get down to these 2 sensors?
Do I have to remove a lot to get access to change them? Or is it just air filter and plastic?

Best Regards

Alex

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Hi DaveL,

Thanks a lot :)

Is this a repair I can do at home with a friend or is it hard to get down to these 2 sensors?
Do I have to remove a lot to get access to change them? Or is it just air filter and plastic?

Best Regards

Alex
Hello Alex,
This control unit sits on top of the gearbox under the airbox so that has to come off, so it's do-able at home, if I remember correctly the sensors have to be pre-tensioned before bolting up. The main thing is check the connectors, they changed to gold at the end of 2008 for model year 2009.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The thing with driving in auto all the time puts alot of pressure on the clutch and box,
Always drive it in sports mode and manual mode , and when you come to set of lights put it in neutral, takes a bit of getting use to but saves the clutch life

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick question what power steering fluid should I use to top up my audi r8 2008 4.2
I opened the reservoir and it was low on the dipstick, could see fluid in there but the dipstick was at the bottom.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Alex, I hope you are able to sort through your gearbox issues. You've certainly come to the right place. Being a resident of Florida I was taken back by the above....knowing you are in Denmark are you saying you've already put the car away for winter? :oops:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi James,

No no, the car is just comming out from winter storage now and will use in sommer time now.. :)

I will work on the gearbox next week when the parts are here.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Hi everybody

Best Regards

Alex
I had a similar issue with my 2009 V8 Rtronic. Initially a reset with a scan took and adjustment helped for a few hundred miles. The actual issue was particles in the transmission fluid, that required the pump to be replaced. Lucky I had purchased an extended warranty, pump was $6k and had to come from Germany. Total cost was $8k with labor and other parts. Car shifts amazing now. As previously stated Audi technicians are told in training to recommend manually shifting the car to customers. Also select neutral when at a extended stop. Think of it as a computer paddle shifted manual. Why don’t most people hear about this? Because you typically don’t get access to the technician. I found a well placed tip after every get you great access to the technician. Just had an oil change at the dealer in Lakeland, FL, it was $550. Parts were just over $100, labor is billed at $195/hour and there was the shop fee and tax. I always tell people, know the price of admission before purchasing anything. Good luck and hope you have a simple solution. Glad I bought 5000 Dogecoin at .002 and sold it at .50 it gave me plenty of money to support my expensive toys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today I changed sensors and reset the basic setting.

Now I can change gear again :)

Now I just need to fix the other small stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts