Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 R8 V8 Coupe, Black, R-Tronic, REV9 Exhaust, Carbon Upgrade, Ceramic brake & GT wheels
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

First time poster & ill start with what a awesome community this!

I've owned my R8 for 2 years now & as I am sure all of you agree, the one thing that has always bugged me is the note that comes out of the stock exhaust (mine also had a very irritable rattle inside the muffler on cold start).

After doing abit of research, I bit the bullet & ordered myself a REV9 Stainless steel exhaust from the US. It cost me roughly $1800.00 AUD including shipping & I decided to install the exhaust myself. (I am not a mechanic & have minimal mechanical knowledge but I am a tradesman & very experienced with tools). Having said this I used the below thread which was AMAZING! The only thing that it doesn't tell you is that there are 4 more T30 screws (2 each side) that hold the bumper on inside the wheel arches (Doesn't show you how to take out & rebuild the exhaust in the existing heat shield)

For us Australian residents the R8 doesn't come with a Jack or jack pad (well at least mine didn't) so i bought myself a Kincrome low profile jack from my local super cheap & a Audi Jack pad from: PF3-1660 - Audi Bushes, Audi R8 Bushes, Audi R8 Jack Pad Adaptor - Powerflex Australia
Because of this set up i didn't have to drive the car onto blocks, i was able to jack one side up, place the jack stands under, lower the jack & repeat the other side.

I took my time, numbered each step, bagged/labelled all parts removed & took photos throughout the whole process.

The installation was seemless, the exhaust was easy to rebuild in the existing heat shield & the exhaust fit like a dream. I used the below video as direction to remove the exhaust, which was extremely helpful.

A big thankyou to German engineering as putting the car back together was effortless, every part went on easier than it came off. All up the install took me about 15 hours (spaced over 2 days) which also included cleaning every single part i took off, detailing the engine bay/removing any over spill of oil from services & retaping all of the heat shielded electrical wiring. One of the number plate lights wiring came loose when re-installing the back fascia (with r8 badge on it) & i had to re solder the joint.

The outcome? An amazing sounding exhaust, the car truly does sound like a supercar now!! In the future i would probably purchase a electronic valved system but for the price of this exhaust compared to everything else on the market & as the car isn't my daily, I am happy with the roar of the exhaust & can't wait to get back onto a race track to hear it down the straight!

I will attach a video of the first cold start & revving once the rear of the car was reinstated for your enjoyment. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask!

20200904_095700.jpg
20200904_103946.jpg
20200904_111015.jpg
20200904_112516.jpg
20200904_120113.jpg
20200904_123356.jpg
20200904_133521.jpg
20200904_133724.jpg
20200904_145408.jpg
20200904_154122.jpg

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Hats off to you for attempting the job yourself. Great result and even more rewarding that you saved a packet in labour charges.

Reactions: jonnomal

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Well done Sir and a good report too, congrats.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nice job! This thread gives me more confidence to do it myself as well. Great write up and Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
10 R8 V8 Coupe, Black, R-Tronic, REV9 Exhaust, Carbon Upgrade, Ceramic brake & GT wheels
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All! I will edit my post & add abit more detail during the day with regards to what i used to make the process (what i believe) a whole lot easier.

I have found the car to be much more responsive in the lower RPM.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Great writeup, thanks for sharing!! Was looking at the valved version of this system myself and now that I've heard even that short snippet, I'm completely sold! When you get a chance, please share more videos! I'm also very curious about how the GT rims look on your car because I was thinking of purchasing a set myself. Great minds think alike!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great writeup, thanks for sharing!! Was looking at the valved version of this system myself and now that I've heard even that short snippet, I'm completely sold! When you get a chance, please share more videos! I'm also very curious about how the GT rims look on your car because I was thinking of purchasing a set myself. Great minds think alike!
Thanks mate! It does sound quite amazing, definitely a head turner now! If i was going to install a valved version it would have to be electronic to control different modes. I believe the REV9 valved works off the original vaccuum system. To me it seems like a waste as you want the deep tones on idle. Ive attached another short video & a photo with the GT Wheels.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds awesome, would be sweet to get a video one of these days with a SS and Ti version sound tested side by side.

By the way, what carbon diffuser do you have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds awesome, would be sweet to get a video one of these days with a SS and Ti version sound tested side by side.

By the way, what carbon diffuser do you have?
Honestly i wouldnt be phased spending the extra money on a TI exhaust because the SS sounds so good (unless your looking for as much weight reduction as possible).

It is the GT rear diffuser.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thought so, just haven’t seen it offered for the V8 bumper. Will have to do some more digging. Thanks!
It makes the rear look so much more aggressive!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow you have an eye for detail good work doing it yourself , having a trade has just paid itself off .
I live In Australia as well , unfortunately REV 9 in the U.S have told me they wouldn’t freight to Australia . So I’m wondering how you got yours ?
thanks 👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow you have an eye for detail good work doing it yourself , having a trade has just paid itself off .
I live In Australia as well , unfortunately REV 9 in the U.S have told me they wouldn’t freight to Australia . So I’m wondering how you got yours ?
thanks 👍
Thanks mate, it was alot of fun just tinkering away. Being savvy with tools definitely helped alot! Where abouts in Australia are you from? I got mine from this seller on ebay:

he was great to deal with & it took just 1 week to receive it from the states!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok eBay perfect so fast 👌I’m a sparky in Adelaide, I forgot to ask are you a sparky , noticed the Cable drums in the pics 👍
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok eBay perfect so fast 👌I’m a sparky in Adelaide, I forgot to ask are you a sparky , noticed the Cable drums in the pics 👍
Thanks
Haha Sure am mate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
howdy fellow Aussies, love the sound. This is gunna sound ridiculous but I’m a sparky also in Qld, must be the norm these days for R8 owners! I’m keen to see if you could valve control this system?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts