Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching for a new car. Daily Driver in NYC, I drive about 100 miles (usually less) in a week.

I sit in traffic for one or two of my commute days, but otherwise its pretty open driving (for NYC atleast). I venture far enough from NYC to get some decent roads to drive on (again, relative to the roads in NYC haha).

I daily drove an i8 for two years, so I'm used to the usual low car in an urban setting issues and I've got a driveway.

I'm trying to decide between a lease on a McLaren GT (looks to be around $2,000 a month, +/- depending on if I do 24 or 36 months) or an Audi R8 Performance (purchase a 2020 used with 3-5k miles for around $170k, with 3 years of warranty left).

Long term, I hope to be in a 720s.

Looking for any input. I know that this is the R8 forum, so I'm going to get pro-R8 responses, but I've put the same post on the McLaren forum for comparison. Would appreciate any and all insight.

Thanks!

·
Registered
276 Posts

Looks to me that you have already answered your own question. Go with the Mclaren lease and it may be easier to get into the 720.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Looks to me that you have already answered your own question. Go with the Mclaren lease and it may be easier to get into the 720.
Would it be easier though?

I'd be in a 2-3 year lease with the McLaren GT, and likely have to wait until the tail end of the lease if I decide to lease the 720s. If I decide to buy the 720s, I'd have to wait until end of the lease.

With the R8, I can trade in when I'm ready.

Additionally, right now I want a car that I won't hesitate to get into and drive, regardless of where I'm going (work/Manhattan/sitting in traffic/driving in rain), and I'm not sure if the 720s is that car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The gull wing doors would be nice in the city if you park close to others or near curbs. If R8's had gull wing doors or upswing doors (I don't know that they're called).. that would be awesome.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I've been researching the 720S for a while and it is an awesome machine. But, I would think the R8 would be a better and cheaper daily driver. I've never owned the Mc and the only thing keeping me from getting the Mc are the stories of people with problems. If you're sold on the GT, a lease may not be a bad idea. At least, you'll have the factory warranty and you'll get an idea of the ownership experience before committing to an even greater debt. Once it's over, you can move up or move on. I may take my own advice one day, not sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts