935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fifth Gear have tested the R8 vs C4S... Check the video out below:

http://www.zen89393.zen.co.uk/Archive/cars/r8vc4s.wmv

Manual vs Manual

Results:
Drag Test: C4S Wins (Best of 3 Runs)
Power Sliding: R8 Wins
Head 2 Head Track Test: Dead Heat (R8 is more balanced)

Final Result: Make your own mind up!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey BZ thanks for the post! Both are great cars but R8 for me (Wow factor-very important and much more balance chasis).

·
Registered
604 Posts
It was the boys playing silly games again. Showing how well they can drift in 4 wheel drive cars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tiff said in the film that the C4S had the power boost option , which takes it up to 381bhp rather than the standard 355bhp. With its lower weight, that could well have given it the edge on the drag test. On the circuit, the R8 was far more stable, especialy through the chicane, and they both chose the R8 at the end.

·
Registered
617 Posts
A more realistic test, would have been for both Tiff and Jason to have three goes in each car, expecialy on the straight line drag test. For me this was not conclusive as Tiff always seems to be the smoother better driver when it comes to gear changes and Jason is a crash bang wallop racing driver. It must be an age thing, and I sure Jason will become better when he gets to Tiff's age :D :D :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
How in any sense of the imagination was that a valuable or informative road test, it was two pratts tearing the tyres off 2 great cars in a manner that would befit or interest only 10 to 18 year olds that want to tear around Sainsbury's car park in stolen cars at night! They annoy the hell out of me so much.

You could clearly see from the film that the 977 was struggling with loads of overtseer on the circuit, the R8 was composed and much less of a handful, probably would give the average driver much more confidence at speed etc, but you don't get any of that sort of feedback just those idiots trying their level best to act like, well...idiots!!

Why was the 977 quicker off the line twice? Because Prato, sorry Plato missed a gear twice!!

At the end the girl summed up by saying that the 977 was still the "daddy" then!!! What drugs are these people on? Complete waste of time IMO and if I were Audi I would refuse to let them test another car ever.

I hope the Top Gear test will be less pathetic, but I won't hold my breath!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
As JC thinks it is the dogs bit we may get a more reasoned test but you are right don't hold your breath

·
Registered
718 Posts
Amen.

A total load of crap. Might as well be two boy racers.

Not a serious test and not worthy of 5th gear.

The only correct point they noted was that the R8 is better balanced and changes direction more quickly and precisely.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree, the test was pretty purile. The R8 looked far more stable on circuit, but most significantly for me the R8 has a stunning 21st century visual presence without looking "sci fi kitsch" whereas the Porsche is really looking its age, "a jazzed up Beetle", or maybe I'm just being a stirrer.;)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Amen.

A total load of crap. Might as well be two boy racers.

Not a serious test and not worthy of 5th gear.

The only correct point they noted was that the R8 is better balanced and changes direction more quickly and precisely.

Did anybody notice the extra orange ballast tank in the back of the Porsche when it was doing the power slides !!!!!!!!!! Not everything was what it seemed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You mean the license plate??

So, is the 997C4 slightly quicker than the R8, or did the tester really flub the shifts?
And if it really is, that's fine because after all it the 997C4 was the competitive target for R8...only they missed the Porsche's price point by 20%!:mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts