Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through some unusual circumstances, my new R8 currently does not have the Audi rings on the front hood. What do you think of the look? With or without the rings?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The rings belong on the grille and not on the hood. Audi's heritage will show this to be true so why should the R8 be any different from other models?

This grille dates back to the Horch Audi (Auto Union):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/229/470573775_a8cf5868d3.jpg?v=0

·
Registered
604 Posts
IMHO I like them on the bonnet, the grill is full of number plate in UK. Heritage, in all things, should only be a guide. Audi don't have a huge back catalogue of mid engined cars....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since there's little to no room in the cabin to carry anything, I'm frequently opening and closing the bonnet. I found the Rings were located right where I would naturally place my palm to close the hood.

When the dealership had to pull the rings off as part of the 3M clearbra install, I had them left off. I liked the look enough on the front that I also them "erase" the rings off the rear deck as well.

I find the missing front rings to be much more convient for closing the bonnet. The only drawback is all the gawking by cars drving past now trying to figure out what kind of car it is. The only visible Audi badging are the center caps on the wheels, and the engine logos/rings, none of which leap immediately to view on the road. Kind of fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The opinion of friends and on-lookers was overwhelmingly in favor of leaving the rings off the hood. So I did leave them off and I have to honestly say that I think it adds even more mystery and even further intrigue!

·
Registered
978 Posts
We did a set of black rings on a (black) car today and paused while the car was 'naked' to get the full effect.

Personally, I prefer them on. The cars look great either way and we omitted the 'R8' badge for a more symmetrical look.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I prefer the rings on. It shows that I agree with Audi in the design and manufacture of this car, and I think it's the best that I can get within the price range or even out of the price range.. Audi continues to do amazing things in the Automotive world and is being rightly noticed. The rings are a symbol of their attitudes and success.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't think having it on the car or off the car makes much of a difference. The car's still stunning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts