Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the RS5 will be equipped with a 7 speed DSG boasting a 450bhp+ and 330lb/ft+ of torque and they couldn't manage to put a DSG in the R8 V10.

What's better, the RS5 will have the same 0-60 as the current R8 V8. Great. :eek:

But none of that matters, the RS5 won't be here in the US until 2011. :)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
it will be 4 years after the v8 r8 came out, so performance increases are only to be expected - the v10 is the move forward for the r8 in performance. I'm sure the rs5 will be a great car, but even if it's faster to 60 in a straight line I can't see it being able to keep up with a v8 r8 like for like.

In terms of the dsg - the big issue is packaging. the rs5 is a far more traditional layout for them to drop in the dsg like they have with cars that came before the r8.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
If 0-60 time is the criterion, there's PLENTY of things out there now that will beat the R8 and there'll be more by 2011. That's really not the arena the R8 was built to compete in.

As far as the DSG, from what I've read the problem in the R8 is that it doesn't fit. Obviously if they can re-engineer the chassis to take a v10, they could do it for the DSG, IF they were convinced it would be a seller. I believe that it would, but Audi may have gotten the wrong signal about the experience with the R-Tronic. From what I've read, Audi was very surprised that the R-Tronic has been much less in demand than they initially expected.
Most of us who've tried it and not liked it are not surprised by that, but those who like it are....and Audi may be fond of this particular feature and be surprised that it didn't sell well. So they may be reluctant to re-design the car just for a DIFFERENT auto-shifting box.

Remember, unlike ALL the other Audis, the tranny in the R8 sits way out aft, the furthest back component of the driveline and BEHIND the rear axle. Undoubtedly the DSG box would be bigger and heavier and, for reasons of fore/aft weight banlance and polar moment, Audi may have been loathe to increase the weight way back there, and had problems making it fit in as well.
Check out this nice picture of the driveline.
http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/gallery3.php?mode=view&album=/Audi/R8/Technical&pic=096.jpg&start=&dispsize=600

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great point guys. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
From what I've read, Audi was very surprised that the R-Tronic has been much less in demand than they initially expected.
I'm not that surprised given how much bad press the box has got from reviewers slapping it into auto and expecting it to be like a torque-converter auto/tiptronic rather than a sequential manual with the automated mode as a bonus.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The R-Tronic is just like the SMG I had in my first car: m3 e46. The R-Tronic shifts smoother at low speed than SMG though.

ps: Randombloke, I am sure you can relate.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The R-Tronic is just like the SMG I had in my first car: m3 e46. The R-Tronic shifts smoother at low speed than SMG though.

ps: Randombloke, I am sure you can relate.
Totally agree. I've been driving the R-Tronic now for 1.5 Years on the Track and Street. It's a smoother version of BMW SMG II.

Since software update, I can say the Gearbox is great. Could still be a little quicker with shifts (I always want more) BUT it's very capable NOW...

Only downside is the primitive Launch Control System.

Anyway, the RS5 gives me more reason to drop a Supercharger into my V8 and end the power war for good!!! ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Totally agree. I've been driving the R-Tronic now for 1.5 Years on the Track and Street. It's a smoother version of BMW SMG II.

Since software update, I can say the Gearbox is great. Could still be a little quicker with shifts (I always want more) BUT it's very capable NOW...

Only downside is the primitive Launch Control System.

Anyway, the RS5 gives me more reason to drop a Supercharger into my V8 and end the power war for good!!! ;)
Don't we have fun in the R8 bz888. :cool: It was already such much fun in the M3 e46but the R8 takes it to a whole other level. I test drove the new M3 e92 and it was not as flat and didn't handle as well as the R8 does.

·
Administrator
6,229 Posts
The RS5 will probably be about 400lbs heavier than the R8 and with a few mods like exhaust and the engine management products coming we could have the same power as the RS5. But it's really not all about that, What I like about the R8 is it's incredible balance and handling. Also after driving an S4 and RS4 I learned that most just look at it like a regular Audi, That will never happen with the R8

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The RS5 will probably be about 400lbs heavier than the R8 and with a few mods like exhaust and the engine management products coming we could have the same power as the RS5. But it's really not all about that, What I like about the R8 is it's incredible balance and handling. Also after driving an S4 and RS4 I learned that most just look at it like a regular Audi, That will never happen with the R8
Agree. The R8 is a R8 no matter what.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Don't we have fun in the R8 bz888. :cool: It was already such much fun in the M3 e46but the R8 takes it to a whole other level. I test drove the new M3 e92 and it was not as flat and didn't handle as well as the R8 does.
Yeah Mate. The M3 was fun!! But my R8 is much more capable out of the box. In fact, I got my R8 setup really well at the moment! If your keen to tweak the R8 a little you will be rewarded!! Gotta know what your doing though...

I've got some more bits coming to add some more fun!!!

PS: My R8 is .5sec off 997 GT3 RS laptimes!!! E92 M3 would get smoked! :cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hate you all !!

"R8 is an R8" baaah !!!

*jealous*

hahahha

R8's are just balanced all around, including the styling and appearance and type of persona in the owner

one day, ill trade up my M5 for an R8 ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts