Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to pull the trigger on the Audi Sport setup before they were gone for good. Keeping the car OEM+ for the most part so these were the obvious choice :)

Install took a bit longer than I realized, given all the fender liners have to come out and the frunk trim. All in all the install is pretty straight forward, just a few spots where you have to navigate stuff. Quality is what you would expect, and I knew right from the get go looking at the molded bushings for the spring perches etc. the ride would not disappoint.

First impressions are wow! Set rebound and fast/slow compression per the Audi specs with 10mm drop. Turn in is significantly changed, it鈥檚 a different car entirely. Smoother and quieter ride all around. On the spirited side of things the car is much much much more planted and connected to the road. Turns I normally would have to brake I pushed right through and the uneasy ~ you need to slow it down a bit feeling was entirely gone, the car wanted more. 馃槣 Glad I decided to just Get it Done 馃憤馃徏

Also worth mentioning for those who did not know these are the units that came stock on the Gen2 R8 Competition
Light Coil spring Suspension Automotive lighting Shock absorber

Coil spring Suspension Gear Household hardware Automotive exhaust

Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle brake Alloy wheel Rim

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Automotive design Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm more jealous of that scissor jack lift :LOL: . Does it have to be bolted down?
Yes, it is anchored to the concrete, but pretty easy to do. This is the 3rd house I have moved it to.

Its a hard decision to put a lift in front of other car mods but my recommendation to anyone that's a "do it yourself" kind of person is to just bite the bullet. I am going on 16yrs with this rack and its paid for itself many many times over. Also much more willing to take on jobs you might otherwise have steered away from.

[email protected]
Main: (704) 864-2470

Nussbaum Automotive Solutions, LP

1932 Jordache Court
Gastonia, NC 28052
www.nussbaum-usa.com

Registered
Good choice. I have the same coil overs on my RWS track hack. They are very good. I have mine lowered as far as it will go on the front so its a bit of a splitter scraper, and just a little higher on the rear. They have done 3 track seasons and 15K miles with no issues. Fine on the road as well, a little stiff on the springs but the damping is excellent so its not a problem.
Yup its low 馃槀
Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Wheel

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your car looks great with the Aero Kit !
I started off with the specs they supplied and fronts were down ~15mm vs 10mm which was a bit if a surprise. The rears however I have pretty much maxed out to get the 10mm drop.
Still needs some time to settle obviously. The front are not super easy to adjust as the upper control arm is at/near the same height so you cant get get the wrench on all the way to adjust.

Some GT4 ducts would look on your car ! (Friends helping friends spend $$)

Registered
I have these on my RWS as well. The carbon fiber front sway bar from Audi also makes a big difference as well. One way to eliminate having to take the frunk out is to reverse the top bolts on the coilovers. I did this when I was originally doing my lowering springs. When it came time to replace those with these coilovers, it took 90 minutes to do the full swap and all we did was remove the wheels and the wheel liner. All of the body panels got to stay on.

Brand new, at $11K these were a stretch in terms of value per dollar. Now that they have been lowered to under $6K, they are a great deal. I just got back from a 2,000 mile very, very spirited road trip in the mountains including Devil's Triangle, Tail of the Dragon... and they were flawless. Got them on the track and they performed great there as well.

Registered
Good choice. I have the same coil overs on my RWS track hack. They are very good. I have mine lowered as far as it will go on the front so its a bit of a splitter scraper, and just a little higher on the rear. They have done 3 track seasons and 15K miles with no issues. Fine on the road as well, a little stiff on the springs but the damping is excellent so its not a problem.
Yup its low 馃槀
View attachment 267194
Car looks great! What are you running for a harness bar? I just picked up some racing seats and am having a hell of a time trying to figure out what to anchor harnesses to.
I have these on my RWS as well. The carbon fiber front sway bar from Audi also makes a big difference as well. One way to eliminate having to take the frunk out is to reverse the top bolts on the coilovers. I did this when I was originally doing my lowering springs. When it came time to replace those with these coilovers, it took 90 minutes to do the full swap and all we did was remove the wheels and the wheel liner. All of the body panels got to stay on.

Brand new, at $11K these were a stretch in terms of value per dollar. Now that they have been lowered to under $6K, they are a great deal. I just got back from a 2,000 mile very, very spirited road trip in the mountains including Devil's Triangle, Tail of the Dragon... and they were flawless. Got them on the track and they performed great there as well.
Can you provide a part number for these? They sound awesome.

Registered
Car looks great! What are you running for a harness bar? I just picked up some racing seats and am having a hell of a time trying to figure out what to anchor harnesses to.

Ah yes the harness bar was not easy but its a great job. It was done for me by a mate who owned Lanan Racing in the UK. I had it done when the car was new.
they removed the seats and all the trim at the back. The bar is mounted directly onto the rear strut tops and the existing belt mount (i think!) so its good and solid. it is then angled to come out through the two grills on each side that I assume are speaker grills. These have been cut neatly around the bar. The theory behind that was that if we take the bar out then the only parts that need to be purchased are the two grills and they are quite cheap. I have lost the two rear speakers but as I have the B&O system there is no real issue as there is plenty of power in the front speakers.
I replaced the standard seats with a pair of racing seats with harness holes. this saved about 30KG, offsetting the weight of the bar :). I will have some pictures of it being done somewhere but the only one I can find for now is here:
Automotive design Fixture Vehicle door Car Personal luxury car

Registered
Awesome thanks for sharing!

Registered
I want this kit so bad. The stock fixed suspension on the RWD model really can't handle much track duty.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want this kit so bad. The stock fixed suspension on the RWD model really can't handle much track duty.
I took the first real drive tonight and the traction and confidence of the car is significantly increased over stock. Its like getting a new car all over again : )
(Tires don't leave the road like they used to)

Do it !

Registered
I took the first real drive tonight and the traction and confidence of the car is significantly increased over stock. Its like getting a new car all over again : )
(Tires don't leave the road like they used to)

Do it !
If prices come down even more near the end of the year, I think I will. My corner speeds were so bad at the Glen especially when you compare them to my M4 or Z06 on street tires. The car can handle more speed but the body roll, lack of buckets and the cost of the car kept me far more conservative than I used to be.

Registered
If prices come down even more near the end of the year, I think I will. My corner speeds were so bad at the Glen especially when you compare them to my M4 or Z06 on street tires. The car can handle more speed but the body roll, lack of buckets and the cost of the car kept me far more conservative than I used to be.
There may not be any kits left. They are drying up fast.

Registered
This is chicken something something egg.

Their prices are dropping like rocks. Last week I got alerts for $5400 for the non-magnetic set. More you wait better the deals are. Decisions decisions...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did the same risk assessment and decided I would be disappointed if/when and the opportunity was gone. I turned them down 2 clocks and they ride just like OE.
I still cant believe how much more traction the car has now, its a completely new experience all over again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts