Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i made a mistake and rented a Murci for the weekend… and now i can't seem to enjoy the R8 anymore.. the lamborghini just had a certain thing about it that just made you feel a different type of way.. no bash on my R8. Its also not fair to compare a V12 to a V8. Driving that lambo was pretty speechless. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I agree, get the Murcielago. I'll race ya'. :D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah go and spend 2-3x the cost of your used R8 for a used Murci. I have no doubt it was an awesome experience, but I think over the long haul the R8 would be more enjoyable to own versus the Murci, even though the Murci has undoubtedly more initial rush/adrenaline in the short term.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah go and spend 2-3x the cost of your used R8 for a used Murci. I have no doubt it was an awesome experience, but I think over the long haul the R8 would be more enjoyable to own versus the Murci, even though the Murci has undoubtedly more initial rush/adrenaline in the short term.
I agree 100%, My last car was a Murci, once you get over the novelty of the scissor doors, and the way it looks, it becomes quite bland. A constant worry that somthing is going to go wrong, and when somthing does go wrong, where your gonna take it to get fixed. The southern UK is full of crap dealers who just want to mug you, and did mug me but thats another story. I'd say a Gallardo is better than a Murci, looks wise better than an R8, but an R8 is far less of a worry to drive, and there are plenty of options if somthing goes wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Interesting to hear that the Murci became bland and then worrisome. I've always thought that the Murcielago was the best looking car Lamborghini ever produced, and I still think so, but to me that makes it the second best looking car ever.

·
Registered
960 Posts
If you have that itch scratch it! Haha. How much will the murci go for? Did you get a trade for your r8?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Not digging the Murci. I guess I've never been a fan of the "big" exotics - I much prefer a smaller package that seems more sporting and nimble. Same can be said of the Aventador. I know most drool over them - and I agree they look nice - but I just don't like the girth.

A V10 in the size of the R8 - perfect. Same with Ferrari - much prefer the 458 over the F12. A "proper" Ferrari has 12 cylinders, I know, and the F12 is one of the nicest looking 12-cylinder Ferraris to date IMHO... but just not as appealing as the smaller package 458.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Yea I feel the same way regards driving the bigger exotics. In my opinion the murci feels too big, the visibility is poor, has very little ground clearance and difficult to drive around town. But the theater you get with the car is special. That v12 sound, spaceship looks and attention one gets in it is one of a kind, to the general public you might as well be driving a 1 million 918. Personally, I would prefer a hurracan or 458 spec but the murci is much cheaper than those two. Someone I know purchased a murci for 199k during the summer, although it was one of the earliest models and had some miles. He said clutch replacement was close to $16-17,000. Its a great toy car to have if you have 2-3 other cars at your disposal. I would definitely consider one if I had money to burn or don't mind driving it 2,000-3,000 miles a year.

·
Registered
960 Posts
On another note that's off topic I just saw the Ferrari commercial for the upcoming 458 T. Wonder if the 458 spec will come down in price.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I too agree about the size of the Murci being just a tad too big especially for the UK roads. A Gallardo Superleggera Mk-2 would be more suited but the price difference for me to upgrade from my R8 GT is still quiet lot and essentially will be getting a very similar car. Nonetheless, I do love one in black. :)

gallardo17.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
I found that the Murci was very intimidating for the first few days of ownership, but then seemed to shrink around you a bit. It was a tough choice going from Lambo's to an R8. My main reasoning was that I was sick and tired of being ripped off by Lambo dealerships. The first Gallardo I had, had only one previous owner, had all the stamps from a main dealer in High Wickham, UK. When it was due a service I took it to a highly regarded Indy in Bournemouth for a service, I had used them to service a previous Maserati, and they are very trust worthy. Anyway, I was told that the oil in the gearbox had probably never been changed, they found it hard to remove the oil drainage plug. and when they did the gearbox was full of swarf. The air filters had also never been changed. And this was on a car with a full Lambo main dealer history. When I bought my Murci, apparently it had just had a Major service at one of the main independents in scotland. I had the paperwork to show this also, and the stamp in the book. After delivery I checked the oil, and there wasn't any!!! What there was was as black as soot! A year later I wanted to sell the car, it had run great throughout the year, but I wanted a change, I wanted another Gallardo. I found a buyer, and we agreed on a price subject to a PPI. I arranged for a PPI at a Lambo Main dealer near Reading. I was shocked at the results, I was told the car needed a new head gasket, and the gearbox was probably in need of being replaced. Costing approx £10k. I was gutted! I re-negotiated a price with the buyer, knocking £10k off the price to cover repairs, he was happy with this. He took the car. A week later the buyer called me to say he had just taken the car to Lamborghini in Sevenoaks to get the work done, and they had told him that the car was perfect, no problems with the gearbox or head gasket, and also one of the nicer cars that they had seen in their workshop. So what the hell is going on? Why would Lambo Sevenoaks turn away £10k's worth of work? So I tend to believe them. As for the other dealership, I think they were just trying to pull my pants down. In the process they cost me £10,000 and don't give a ****.

Sorry about this being so long winded, but this is why I chose the R8. I just don't trust Lamborghini main dealers.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Bambou...Thanks for sharing your experience. Silly question but which do you prefer in terms of the driving experience between the Gallardo and the R8?.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bambou...Thanks for sharing your experience. Silly question but which do you prefer in terms of the driving experience between the Gallardo and the R8?.
Thats tricky to answer at the moment, as I have had the R8 since November and the roads have been damp. I'll be in a better position to answer after I have driven it on a few warm days. But so far, I can't see too much in it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a lp570 edition technica for a week last year, it disapointed me a little. It didnt feel special enough compared to say a Gallardo spyder to warrant the cost. For that price point id go for a 12c. But I guess its all down to personal taste etc. but the maclaren was amazing!

·
Registered
602 Posts
The issue I have for the Mclaren 12c ( I love the car and would have one in a heart beat) is that they depreciate too rapidly and seems to carry on doing so especially now that the 650S is out.

I saw the LP570 Technica edition for sale... must admit, I totally don't understand the orange contrast concept mixed in with the matte black.

Cheers.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Funny how everyone has their individual car tastes. I'm not a big Lambo fan. No real racing history. Cars look boxy to me. If I was cross-shopping the R8 or looking to go to the next level ... my choice would be a Ferrari 458 or better yet .... the Speciale.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts