Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think this has been posted yet ... if it has been, let me know so I can remove this thread instead of having a duplicated thread ... thanks.

AutoExpress R8 Review

You might need to register ... but it is free to do so.

·
Registered
782 Posts
In every review I notice the same things:

- Do Magnetic Ride
- Do Manual
- Don't buy Ceramics

Nice :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's strange that the ceramic brakes on the Vegas R8 test cars are being criticized for "lack of feel" which is precisely the opposite of the reviews for the new Porsche GT3. When first introduced, Porsche touted ceramics as being the ultimate lifetime brake disc, immune to warping, wear and overheating, and charged big bucks for them. Ironically their first versions were prone to early failure under hard track use and Porsche subsequently decided NOT to cover them under warranty! Most early users have switched to steel rotors. Hopefully the latest versions are much improved!

·
Registered
274 Posts
and thats good for us with deposits who have not yet ordered our cars!!
pretty soon we will be able to develop a complete list- of all options!
btw, the first photo in that article is one of my favs of the car-

I don't think this has been posted yet ... if it has been, let me know so I can remove this thread instead of having a duplicated thread ... thanks.

AutoExpress R8 Review

You might need to register ... but it is free to do so.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's strange that the ceramic brakes on the Vegas R8 test cars are being criticized for "lack of feel" which is precisely the opposite of the reviews for the new Porsche GT3. When first introduced, Porsche touted ceramics as being the ultimate lifetime brake disc, immune to warping, wear and overheating, and charged big bucks for them. Ironically their first versions were prone to early failure under hard track use and Porsche subsequently decided NOT to cover them under warranty! Most early users have switched to steel rotors. Hopefully the latest versions are much improved!
Part of the reason that the ceramics are lacking in feel might be due to them not being run in ... although I do not know if this is a reasonable point ... but it seems like one to me.

What should be noted is that the dozen R8s handed over to the press are possibly the first properly finished production cars ... therefore the cars will be tight and not run in at all ... the engines certainly won't be properly run in and I suspect that none of the brakes have even been bedded for any reasonable enough point ... i.e. 500miles or so.

With the reviews already positive ... which largely they seem to be ... with cars fresh off the production line ... think what a reviewer will think; once the engines have loosened up, the brakes been bedded in properly and the gearboxes have lost their initial tightness ... the R8 will be even better to drive after it's had 5k or 10k miles clocked up on it ... imho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts