Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car is a V8 with the R-Tronic transmission. Sitting at a light in gear yesterday on level ground I took my foot off the brake and waited for the light to change, after a few minutes a message came up that the car was put in neutral. I have only had it for about 6 months and normally don't do that at lights so I tried it again with the same results.
I have not read about this anywhere, not that's its a bad idea to save the clutch or trans unneeded wear but just wondering if it's normal or if its a sign of pending doom.
regards
mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is normal behaviour. If stopped in gear (i.e. 1st) and no foot on the brake, box will enter neutral automatically after 30 seconds along with a chime. Standard behaviour and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Cars automatically doing that, and cars chiming at me are why I decided against the auto. Well, that and a host of other reasons. But I do know the gated 6-spd stays in the gear I put it in. 🙂

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
car is a V8 with the R-Tronic transmission. Sitting at a light in gear yesterday on level ground I took my foot off the brake and waited for the light to change, after a few minutes a message came up that the car was put in neutral. I have only had it for about 6 months and normally don't do that at lights so I tried it again with the same results.
I have not read about this anywhere, not that's its a bad idea to save the clutch or trans unneeded wear but just wondering if it's normal or if its a sign of pending doom.
regards
mike
Perfectly normal and it does state this in the owners manual, keep your foot on the brake and it will stay in gear but with the clutch disengaged until you release the foot brake.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, that's a relief. I know i'm going to have to pull out the manual and actually read it, kinda takes the fun out of asking you guys all my questions tho:)

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
thanks guys, that's a relief. I know i'm going to have to pull out the manual and actually read it, kinda takes the fun out of asking you guys all my questions tho:)
Remember this "when all else fails RTFM" LoL.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, normal, but it only takes about 15 seconds to go into neutral.
I stopped allowing it to happen because of any possible, unnecessary clutch wear it might induce.
My car strangely does something a bit like that but its the 6MT?

It seems to happens always at a junctions (one is a roundabout and the other is a traffic light at top of hill) where there is a line of cars waiting for the light to go green. Both are on hills, one is one is quite a steep hill where I have to use clutch control to slowly keep my place in the line of cars waiting to cross it. Probably moving slower than 3mph.

I can't figure out what its trying to tell me? At first I thought it could be that one of my TMPS valve is gone, so TMPS light is on permanently and thought it was my car warning me about tyre pressure - but it only seems to notice it happen in those two junctions on hill?

No warnings or lights come on - just a single beep?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ya it's a special annoyance feature. The worst is when you forget it switched into neutral and you look like that guy reving the engine at a light.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you saying your 6MT goes into neutral by itself?
Not go into neutral (thank god) but I get this mystery single 'beep' from the dash which only seems to happen when I'm in gear and 'clutch controling' to nudge my way at 3mph towards the top of the hill with the rest of the traffic waiting to cross the junction. At that point I can go into neutral and take my foot off the clutch and wait for my turn to cross.

As there is always bumper to bumper traffic at this hilly junction. There another hill towards a roundabout where I have to do the same and its the only other place I've heard this beep. If traffic is clear I never ever hear it.

Thought it was the front parking sensors the first time but its not. Thought it could have been the TMPS but why would it only happen there?

Haven't experienced it for about a week - mainly because those junctions have been clear and I can go up at normal speed?

Someone said that the auto makes a audible beep when in gear and stopped for more than 30 seconds - Its sorta like that's what my 6MT is doing with me holding clutch manually ?

What could it be?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Could it be something like the hill-hold about to disengage I wonder?
I did notice what feels like a hill hold assist - but I thought I was going mad. Wonder if it was coded as an afterthought?

To be fair I've not put many miles on her since I got a few weeks ago. Between work and the new baby I'm still finding my feet with her! Not to mention spending a couple of weeks in the garage with my amazing mechanic.

Only just figured out how to make the engine lights come on. I just stand there at night marvelling at it... thats about all I have time to do these days :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Perfectly normal and it does state this in the owners manual, keep your foot on the brake and it will stay in gear but with the clutch disengaged until you release the foot brake.
It is different in the S-tronic transmission. In auto mode on a flat surface the car will start moving when you release the foot brake.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
If you don’t want to wear out your R Tronic release bearing, then you should make a habit of putting the car into neutral when waiting at lights, in exactly the same way you would avoid sitting in gear with your clutch in on a manual car. This is why the car puts itself in neutral; it’s looking after itself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts