Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this week's Auto Express, and was interested to see it was reviewing the R8 against its 3 "leading rivals".

Porsche 911 with the sports performance kit
AMv8
Jag XKR Coupe

I wouldn't say it was a "Hands down" victory, but the R8 came out on top:

"That the R8 pushes the 911 so hard in the driving stakes just shows the leaps Audi has made in the last few years. Its blend of comfort and handling is unmatched".

About the AMv8 they said:

"Compared to the German duo, the Aston feels slightly under-developed, with one or two rough edges. But there's no faulting its style or sense of occasion."

FWIW the Porsche came 2nd, AMv8 in 3rd and the Jag in 4th.

Its quite a good comparative review, if anyone is interested. "Audi's first supercar is a masterpiece."

"None of its rivals, not even the 911, could keep pace on tight, twisting roads..."

They liked the weight distribution of the AM, but said its suspension and damping let it down, and the heavy clutch, and didn't like the Ford / Volvo switchgear.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thank you for the summary!

I can't wait to drive my R8!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Jampott, thanks for write-up. If possible, can you scan article and post here. Thanks!

The R8 really comes across as an excellent sports car, great handling for the twisties, suitable for daily use and long distance, and with an exotic look. This is a combination of wife and mistress in one ;)

Great engine, great sound, great look, great handling, great transmission, great AWD, and great comfort, at a great price. I have said enough 'greats' in one month.

·
Registered
564 Posts
as much as I liked this brief write up (and hopefully i get a hand on that issue aswell) - its really seems to be a political question, or its just upto the personal preference of the journalists, cause their opinions after the comparison tests are quite different...

some say it like in aboves review
most of the germans magazines say, it could not beat the porsche and maybe just slights shaked the throne...

anyway, I just dont believe the negative reviewers ;)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think that you will always fins a certain historical bias to the Porsche, after all it has such along history of continual improvement and driver satisfaction.

Probaly the German press will need more convincing over time that the R8 is a real contender. Lets face it that a car that has been in development for only a few years is now right up their with a legend of fourty years. That is an achievement in itself for Audi.

FIve years down the line the reviews may become even more favorable to the R8 and the 911 may be coming to the end of the long and winding road. Only time wil tell.

For now, I am completely happy with what is on offer and 90% of the pleasure is knowing that you have something very special :) :) :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't care what they think. I think the design is the best and for the rest its a nice mixture of everything: sportscar, luxury, design, handling, comfort, power.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also Audi will take it one step ahead of the rest with the full led headlamps next year... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
772 Posts
except they are comparing an R8 which hasnt reached the hands of real customers yet with a 997 that hit the showrooms 3 years ago! The 998 is expected to be just over a year from launch, my R8 is scheduled for Q1 2008 so the big worry is just how far Porsche will move the game on now they have some serious competition. I might not be an R8 owner for very long!

·
Registered
617 Posts
except they are comparing an R8 which hasnt reached the hands of real customers yet with a 997 that hit the showrooms 3 years ago! The 998 is expected to be just over a year from launch, my R8 is scheduled for Q1 2008 so the big worry is just how far Porsche will move the game on now they have some serious competition. I might not be an R8 owner for very long!
Don't you think that the R8 will go through phases of development & improvement as well. RS8 version + R10 (V10) version + facelifts etc.

I would expect Audi to raise their game over time as well.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Maybe - but as many have said here those vehicles would compete with GT3, Turbo etc. The 997 hasnt changed much since launch, nor has the RS4 for example so generally I would suggest major improvements come with a new model e.g. the 998.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The RS4 has changed hugely since launch. Its gone from a 2.7L twin-turbo 6-cylinder engine, to a 4.2L V8.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Maybe - but as many have said here those vehicles would compete with GT3, Turbo etc. The 997 hasnt changed much since launch, nor has the RS4 for example so generally I would suggest major improvements come with a new model e.g. the 998.
Agreed, but R8 / 997 -------> RS8 R10 / 998 -------> RS10 ??????????

·
Registered
772 Posts
Jampo

I obviously meant current model of RS4 otherwise I might have well suggested the 911 hasnt changed in 60 years! Your comment reinforces my point though - current 997 derivatives based on 3 year old model which itself was an extension of the 996 technology. 998 is supposed to be the true all new 911 and will be out less than a year after i receive my R8. Large power hike and DSG type box are almost certain - I just hope they take a bolder move with the styling.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Jampo

I obviously meant current model of RS4 otherwise I might have well suggested the 911 hasnt changed in 60 years! Your comment reinforces my point though - current 997 derivatives based on 3 year old model which itself was an extension of the 996 technology. 998 is supposed to be the true all new 911 and will be out less than a year after i receive my R8. Large power hike and DSG type box are almost certain - I just hope they take a bolder move with the styling.

They will change it the same as before - different headlights! :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
Probably the Audi-Porsche R8 !!!!!

Don't forget that Porsche shareholding is now 31% of the entire VAG group.

So they have the chance to continue development or kill the V10 entirely.......

The VW Tourag floorplan is currently used by Porsche for the Cayenne; the RS2 was an Audi bodyshell with Porsche tuned engine, so who knows ???

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so probably same for R8.. its a 22nd century TT on anabolika... :D
Far from it.

The original 911 was designed from a Beetle.

The R8 shares nothing with the TT (MK1 or MK2) except, perhaps, some relatively minor details like the seats.

Certainly not the same platform, or even engine placement.

No, the air-cooled 911 was basically a reworked VW Beetle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts