Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 2014 DD and have always done hand car wash. However, I now am starting to think I’m stupid for being so picky. I mean, I can understand low mileage examples with meticulous owners avoiding the automatic. But the Audi dealer I drive by every day has free new automatic wash and I don’t think it will really hurt the car. I mean I’ve got 50k miles on the car and can a wash really hurt it more than highway driving?

What is your opinion?

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,300 Posts
Comes down to this…

Is it touchless?
If so, it’s fine, it’s literally touchless soap and high pressure water.

now if it’s touch (with brushes), that’s a different story. I wouldn’t do touch on my R8 but I do touchless from time to time on my R8.
My brand new RSQ8 and wife’s Range Rover goes through the touchless during the winter months a couple of times per week. We have what’s called a “Season Pass” from PETRO Canada (common gas station) and it allows one wash per day for 90 days, use as often as you like. So I use it often haha

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has spinning cloths that slap car. How much is a 90 day pass? I’m paying like 30 bucks for exterior only and it bothers men

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
It has spinning cloths that slap car. How much is a 90 day pass? I’m paying like 30 bucks for exterior only and it bothers men
So Petro Canada (the gas station that offers this Season Pass) has 100s of locations across Ontario. Some are touchless while some still have brushes or cloths that slap the car as you said haha.
The 90 day pass is about $200 bucks (CDN). Not bad if you use it even twice a week. I use it on my car, my wife's, sometimes I let my parents borrow it if I happen to not be using it...I buy 2 every year. First one I buy is in November (covers November, December & January) and the second one I buy covers me for February, March & April. As of May, I hand wash all my cars myself on a weekly or bi-weekly basis pretty much.

·
Registered
09 V8 6MT
193 Posts
With the car ceramic coated you can get away with a touchless wash. I merely shammy dry with very high end towels which get washed after each use.

Been doing this on our last 3 cars. Rarely if ever does a mitt need to touch the car. Got a foam cannon and pressure washer at home I’ll use in the summer when it’s nice out so the same concept.

Don’t think I’d ever take a car through a non touchless however. You’ll swirl your paint and hate life after.

·
Registered
2010 R8 V10 Manual 1999 mustang SVT Cobra 2015 Jetta TDI
225 Posts
I have worked in the dealership system for years now one thing i will always avoid daily driver automatic or not is a brushed car wash. I have seen many cars ruined with just a few visits for how deep some of the dirt gets into the paint. If it was a touchless wash go for it for sure but as soon as i heard brush i would stay clear

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the replys. I wont use that sucker with slapping cloths!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I definitely don’t use that slapping cloths thing! It’s super annoying that they call them touchless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
I definitely don’t use that slapping cloths thing! It’s super annoying that they call them touchless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The slapping cloths thing is not called or considered touchless.

Touchless is touchless...

·
Registered
468 Posts
wait, your audi dealer offers free car washes?!? i feel like a chump
Yeah - remember the post about my wheels - they totally destroyed them with a free unsolicited wash

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yeah - remember the post about my wheels - they totally destroyed them with a free unsolicited wash

sure but you had an appointment . @JuddS makes it sound like he can just drive up to the dealer for a car wash and leave

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
I've only ever hand washed the R8 and will continue it that way.

For the DDs, I take them through a touchless wash from time to time - it's relatively safe for the most part, and these are cars that take a beating from every day use. The reason I wouldn't use it on the R8 has more to do with the fact that it sprays a ton of soap and wax everywhere, which would inevitably get all over the engine bay. When I wash by hand, I'm careful not to overspray into the vents. I then open the bay and wash it last, making sure to get all the drips, etc. I'm even fanatical about wiping down the area where the "feet" of the hatch touch down on the hatch frame - despite the fact that Audi installed little clear pieces of plastic there, it'll form ugly (and dirty) rings if water dries there. Likewise, lots of little cracks and crevices where I wouldn't want standing water - so I just prefer to wipe it all down by hand.

For a while, when I first got the R8, I exclusively used a waterless wash system from Chemical Guys that was excellent. It was just VERY time consuming and expensive, but I enjoyed spending the time with the car. After a while, it got old.

I have the car fully PPF'd, so I'm actually not overly crazy about my wash methodology these days - little to no chance of damaging the paint with less-than-perfect two or three bucket system. In fact, being able to quickly wash the car is one of the nicest benefits of the PPF.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've only ever hand washed the R8 and will continue it that way.

For the DDs, I take them through a touchless wash from time to time - it's relatively safe for the most part, and these are cars that take a beating from every day use. The reason I wouldn't use it on the R8 has more to do with the fact that it sprays a ton of soap and wax everywhere, which would inevitably get all over the engine bay. When I wash by hand, I'm careful not to overspray into the vents. I then open the bay and wash it last, making sure to get all the drips, etc. I'm even fanatical about wiping down the area where the "feet" of the hatch touch down on the hatch frame - despite the fact that Audi installed little clear pieces of plastic there, it'll form ugly (and dirty) rings if water dries there. Likewise, lots of little cracks and crevices where I wouldn't want standing water - so I just prefer to wipe it all down by hand.

For a while, when I first got the R8, I exclusively used a waterless wash system from Chemical Guys that was excellent. It was just VERY time consuming and expensive, but I enjoyed spending the time with the car. After a while, it got old.

I have the car fully PPF'd, so I'm actually not overly crazy about my wash methodology these days - little to no chance of damaging the paint with less-than-perfect two or three bucket system. In fact, being able to quickly wash the car is one of the nicest benefits of the PPF.
This is exactly why I’m considering getting the rest of my car PPFd (already did the nose). I did the waterless wash for a while, but just got sick of doing it every single week (sometimes twice). Now, I use a foam cannon, two buckets, and the waterless spray every few weeks. My thought is that if it’s PPFd, I might go back to the waterless spray, but wouldn’t necessarily have to do it every single week. The car sits in a clean garage, so it doesn’t get super dirty after one or two weekly drives.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use mine as a DD and have a full PPF wrap. I wouldn't have it any other way. While I don't want the dealer washing it (even by hand - they just make a mess) having the PPF certainly saves a ton of heartache when it inevitably happens.

Agree with @ezmaass here. I wouldn't consider an automated car wash even with the PPF solely because of just how much water and other chemicals would be making it right into the engine bay and intakes. Even with the pressure washer at home, at most I'm getting quick spray of water in those spots. And second I agree that this car holds a ton of water especially around those rear grill/fins, around the frunk lining, even the doors..... really don't want all the unknown chemicals brewing up in those areas either. Don't chance it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m a finance guy and look at it this way. If I assume 2 washes a week ( i drive by it anyway all the time) and no appointment needed would save me 60 bucks in car wash fees a week. If I make 500 bucks an hour and save an hour of time a week, that is 1060 saved a week or about 50k a year. That’s like 70k or so pretax. do I want some minor pair swirls for 70 k a year?

that’s not really accurate but it’s directionally how I think. It helps me to be frugal on some things and save to invest in my business.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I’m a finance guy and look at it this way. If I assume 2 washes a week ( i drive by it anyway all the time) and no appointment needed would save me 60 bucks in car wash fees a week. If I make 500 bucks an hour and save an hour of time a week, that is 1060 saved a week or about 50k a year. That’s like 70k or so pretax. do I want some minor pair swirls for 70 k a year?

that’s not really accurate but it’s directionally how I think. It helps me to be frugal on some things and save to invest in my business.
If you're making $1M annual then you can afford to pay somebody to come wash your car a few times a month. lol

Reactions: need2speed

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
This is exactly why I’m considering getting the rest of my car PPFd (already did the nose). I did the waterless wash for a while, but just got sick of doing it every single week (sometimes twice). Now, I use a foam cannon, two buckets, and the waterless spray every few weeks. My thought is that if it’s PPFd, I might go back to the waterless spray, but wouldn’t necessarily have to do it every single week. The car sits in a clean garage, so it doesn’t get super dirty after one or two weekly drives.
Yep - makes a lot of sense. I originally got the PPF when the car was new to protect the paint from road debris that would cause chips or scratches. But, a benefit I didn't anticipate was just how easy it would make washing the car. I'm not one of these guys who likes to spend an entire Sunday afternoon washing the car. I'd rather get it done with in 30 minutes and then go drive it for 2 hours. With the PPF, I don't feel bad about rushing the wash process here and there, as I know I'm not going to scratch or swirl the paint, and there's no reason to wax the PPF, etc. I also fully paint corrected it at the same time, so the paint underneath the PPF looks perfect... so even my garbage washes come out looking better than they should!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
About paying the car wash I couldn’t disagree more. One of my friends is a legit billionaire and he always orders the special at dinner to save 2 bucks. It’s about needless waste of resource. I’d rather put that kind of money into my charities or business or fun stuff than give it to the guy who suckers me to pay him for washing my car because he made it easy. I absolutely love love love a good value and a $30 car wash is bad value. It’s stupid if I can get a comparable or almost comparable wash for free. I legit feel bad when I don’t get value for my dollar. I earned it and someone has to take it from me with good value like I took it from my clients by giving them good value.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Back to original question. If I do paint correction and the, ppf, then can I use slapping brush car wash..?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts