Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my '09 R8 Saturday, long time coming, and I love it.
Makes my 911 C4 seem like a tireless go cart on bare rims.

I'm frustrated that there is no real Ipod integration, just a simple Aux Slave input, no functionality on display. This is piss poor. Especially on an upgraded Sound system.
On my 08 S8, the display works just like the Ipod - display completely integrated. And I was told by the sales person and service, they 'ed have this fixed for late 08 and all 09's R8's ... Another incorrect mis statement from them.

Dealer's fix is to yank the 6 disc changer I just paid for with B&O sound, and removed CD capability, and replace with a IPOD retro interface unit.
Charge another $300 for that and a few hundred more shop time.

Why have they not understood the popularity of Ipod use the last few years. Even my Yukon has a more functional use.

Plus, the R8, should have the Start button like on the S's... That would be very cool.

I still love the car, but they sure skimped on the chance to show case their best technology.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
I've found the best workaround on my '09 R8 is to get a couple of SD cards and copy your MP3 music to them. They can be inserted in the slots behind the screen, and you will get full integration with the sound system. I'm using two 2GB cards and despite the manual's statement that the slots are limited to 1GB, the 2GB cards work fine. I haven't tried SDHC cards yet. Of course, I don't buy music from the iTunes store, so if you have copy protected music, read on...

Second best, if you just HAVE to use the iPod itself in the car, is to get one of the Belkin adapters. I'm using the Tunebase FM Clearscan(http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=390447) in the TT (no Nav but with factory iPod interface that unfortunately sucks as you described). I REALLY like the Belkin, it works very nicely. Holds the iPod nano in the right position to see the screen and use the controls, keeps it charged, and the clearscan works as advertised. Of course in the R8, with a cable, you don't have to mess with the clearscan but I would still use it for the mechanical and charging advantages. And even though you still have to use the iPod controls to select music, you do get muting on cell calls and volume though the steering wheel.

If you want to hide the iPod away, then Belkin makes a version with cabling instead of the stalk (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=404646), but I much prefer the one with a stalk that mounts in the cigarette lighter socket.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I just use a Belkin car charger with actual line out. Keeps it charging while giving good line out performance. I have a few wires and the iPod sits in the cup holder, but it works fine for me.

I've used this set up for years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ipod music can not be transferred off an Apple device so the cards won't work.
I also undersatnd the Belkin with Radio interface, has a large loss in quality. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
They CAN be transferred as long as the files are MP3s and not DRM-protected AAC files (i.e. bought them from iTunes or imported a CD using AAC)

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Ipod music can not be transferred off an Apple device so the cards won't work.
Incorrect! In iTunes, if you go to EDIT on the file menu, then select PREFERENCES, go to the ADVANCED tab and finally the BURNING tab, you can set your burn preferences to MP3. I use a re-writeable DVD burner, holds more than a CD.

Then, create a playlist in iTunes, burn the MP3 DVD and copy to your SD.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Why even burn? You should be able to highlight any track and then copy/paste it right to the SD card. I have an RNS510 and it works for me.

Additionally, if you have any music that is already in AAC format (DRM-Free though), all you need to do is set your music encoder to MP3 (under preferences, advanced, importing) and then you will be able to right click on any track and convert to mp3 on the spot.

·
Registered
772 Posts
anyone else notice this? certain MP3 files on my SD cards show up on the display but wont play in the car although they are fine in my laptop. I'm guessing that even tho' they're labelled MP3 they are in fact a different format - help anyone?

·
Registered
293 Posts
anyone else notice this? certain MP3 files on my SD cards show up on the display but wont play in the car although they are fine in my laptop. I'm guessing that even tho' they're labelled MP3 they are in fact a different format - help anyone?
I have the same problem... Although it was a pain in the ass, I just numbered the songs and problem solved...for now..:(

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the same problem... Although it was a pain in the ass, I just numbered the songs and problem solved...for now..:(
Did you use a Mac? Iwas told that this is a function of how the Mac OS "mark" the MP3 files. You cannot see those dulicate files with a Mac but if you use a PC and you can erase those files.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just edit the song title before you put it into the card. I just put numbers in front of the song when labeling it and "voila" it works.. Like I said, if you have a lot of songs, it's a pain in the ass, but it works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts