Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - does the B&O sound system include an option to plug in an ipod/ mp3 player? If so where does the cable plug in? My girlfriend has her ipod in the glovebox, connected to the sound system from the rear (in her SLK).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Use the SD cards. Only drawback is if you purchased music from the itunes store as that will not play due to DRM. CDs converted to MP3s sound sensational on the B&O, best sound system in a car I have ever heard. Brilliant.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - am I restricted to 1GB only as 4GB cards are available now.
So 2 x slots of 4GB = 8GB of music!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
re purchased music I think you can burn to CD and then import back as mp3 to get around the DRM.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The SD MP3 system can use ID3 tags which detail the artist & song title. The manual says cards up to 256mb are accepted , but my card was 1GB and it worked ok. I will check this out though as a quick trawl of the web indicated the following:

""A quick search would have found a lot of discussion on this subject. Here's a summary:

SD cards ONLY, NOT SDHC

Sizes up to 4GB work fine.

512 objects per card maximum, objects = MP3 files + folders + M3U files

You can choose whether to show file names or track names.

If you want to control both the order of play and what appears on the DIS then you can use playlists. "" - PetrolDave

·
Registered
313 Posts
i will get you all the informations on Monday, as on Saturday only the sales guys are present at Audi in Lugano.

I will order one for myself, thoose SD cards are a nightmare and the sound quality copying forward and backward and changing .ext of the music title are bad s***t for the quality of the sound.

·
Registered
311 Posts
thoose SD cards are a nightmare and the sound quality copying forward and backward and changing .ext of the music title are bad s***t for the quality of the sound.
I am not sure I understand why you would change the .ext of the title, might that affect the way the file is read by the player software?

Look forward to more info on the ipod connection. Thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
It seems strange that you can get a factory fitted glove box ipod adapter for the basic Audi sound system and the bose but not for the B&O.

·
Registered
313 Posts
anyway i have to admit that the B&O in the R8 has npthing to do with the B6O in the S8.
my wifes Bose MMi system in her Audi A6 3.0 TDI Limo has more power and a better sound then the B&O in my R8 plus, as GR8 mentioned a Ipod interface which works fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i will get you all the informations on Monday, as on Saturday only the sales guys are present at Audi in Lugano.

I will order one for myself, thoose SD cards are a nightmare and the sound quality copying forward and backward and changing .ext of the music title are bad s***t for the quality of the sound.
That makes no sense whatsoever. I have the card system in my lambo and Audi S3 (07 model) and absolutely love the cards, the Ipod in comparison sounds terrible. Bear in mind that with the Ipod you are stuck with huge compression rates and with the card system its down to you how higher bitrate you put on, all important with the better stereo systems.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I checked my B&O system again with an SD card - sounds superb. Best sound I have experienced in a car, much better than the Bose sytem I had in the Boxter.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Is it worth buying the CD autochanger if the SD card quality is so good? I don't purchase or play CDs much these days but rather have all my favourite tracks on my laptop/ipod so would almost definitely just transfer everything onto the SD card.

Only reason I would buy the CD autochanger is if a) the CD sound quality is noticeably better even though there are few CDs I like to listen to from start to finish or b) it would help with resale.

I was thinking I should have it to complement the B&O but I'm really not sure I'll use it once I've spent an hour messing about to see how it sounds.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Geffers,

Are you going for Sat Nav ???

The dashboard unit has only one CD/DVD slot. Therefore you can either navigate or listen to a CD but NOT both.

That's why you need the CD changer for your music CD's!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts