Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Folks. I have a 2015 R8 V8 with 23,000 miles on it. Go Figure -- All 4 of my shocks are leaking. The back shocks are 100% completely toast. My Audi Dealer here in Ohio USA is the one who diagnosed. Due to high cost for the dealer to repair and hearing from others on the forum they had replaced at the dealer only to have the replacement shocks leak as well - I decided to try the shocks from Nagengast in Poland. I have rec'd them but they have not been installed yet. I told the service magr - Audi should be doing these repairs free of charge / The cheapest shocks on the market last at bare minumum of 50K Miles. Told him "Seems like all R8s end up with leaking shocks way before they should be". HE said they regularly service a handful in my area and have never seen the shocks leak. So my question is how accurate is that? Just like to hear a simple chime in from members on if their shocks have leaked or not, if so or not - what mileage and any repair stories if they feel like sharing. Thank you for reading. John

·
Registered
753 Posts
just search this forum for magride, they do fail sooner and more often than a normal shock, I'd be surprised to hear many owners say different

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Both my rears were shot at 22k miles. The fronts were still ok but I changed all 4 to Plus passives.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
They WILL fail,, to say different is a triumph of hope over exxperience.

·
Registered
646 Posts
yep, fact of life, like the sun setting in the west.
unfortunately audi got away with not having to do a recall for them at the time somehow so they're not covered after its out of warranty

·
Registered
444 Posts
I know a guy that:
  1. Bought a Fidelity Warranty for a few grand
  2. Sat on the car for a few months
  3. Filed a claim for full repair of the "struts"
Edit: Your mileage may require an inspection by Fidelity before warranty purchase, so what worked for him, may not work for you.

·
Vendor
379 Posts
We don't have brand new shocks from 2007-2014 built R8's to compare, but the seals they have used seem to be failing. Our remanufactured product appears to be a lot more durable than BWI/Delphi magnetic ride shocks, with the seals we utilize and we have satisfied customers many years later.

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
I know a guy that:
Edit: Your mileage may require an inspection by Fidelity before warranty purchase, so what worked for him, may not work for you.
You know a guy... who committed fraud. :) In all seriousness, I wouldn't recommend doing this - in some jurisdictions, the penalties (including jail time and felony charges) are very steep with very low thresholds on the dollar figure. It's not worth it.

For the OP, it sounds like the shop you're talking with just doesn't see a lot of R8s. My 2015 is around 20k miles and still on original shocks. I had them checked when last in for service - no leaks yet. But notice I said "yet." :) They'll all leak eventually. The R8 is a pretty sturdy vehicle, especially for an exotic. But this is a reliability weak spot, for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: GR8NJR8

·
Registered
204 Posts
My 2 on the left side were leaking and replaced at approx 33k miles, 2 right sides were just inspected last week during service at 39k miles and no leaks “yet”

·
Registered
646 Posts
I know a guy that:
thats douche haha. isnt that like definition of insurance scam?
they definetly wanted to do an inspection on my car before starting the warranty. not that i was concerned but it was inconvenient and i was on the fence to begin with so i opted not to get it

·
Registered
176 Posts
We don't have brand new shocks from 2007-2014 built R8's to compare, but the seals they have used seem to be failing. Our remanufactured product appears to be a lot more durable than BWI/Delphi magnetic ride shocks, with the seals we utilize and we have satisfied customers many years later.
I had two leaking shocks but I decided to have Nagengast do all four just because I figured if two were leaking the other two weren't far behind. So far the remanufactured shocks have been great. I'm glad to hear that you actually are using better seals and they are more durable than the originals. And yes, you can count me as one of the many satisfied customers.

·
Registered
655 Posts
mine failed around 30k i think, all 4

·
Vendor
379 Posts
I had two leaking shocks but I decided to have Nagengast do all four just because I figured if two were leaking the other two weren't far behind. So far the remanufactured shocks have been great. I'm glad to hear that you actually are using better seals and they are more durable than the originals. And yes, you can count me as one of the many satisfied customers.
Thanks for kind words!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Howdy Folks. I have a 2015 R8 V8 with 23,000 miles on it. Go Figure -- All 4 of my shocks are leaking. The back shocks are 100% completely toast. My Audi Dealer here in Ohio USA is the one who diagnosed. Due to high cost for the dealer to repair and hearing from others on the forum they had replaced at the dealer only to have the replacement shocks leak as well - I decided to try the shocks from Nagengast in Poland. I have rec'd them but they have not been installed yet. I told the service magr - Audi should be doing these repairs free of charge / The cheapest shocks on the market last at bare minumum of 50K Miles. Told him "Seems like all R8s end up with leaking shocks way before they should be". HE said they regularly service a handful in my area and have never seen the shocks leak. So my question is how accurate is that? Just like to hear a simple chime in from members on if their shocks have leaked or not, if so or not - what mileage and any repair stories if they feel like sharing. Thank you for reading. John
My 2012 v10 6MT needed all four mag ride shocks replaced at 40k miles. Luckily I had one month left on my fidelity platinum warranty and got them replaced, along with an oil leak at the engine and transmission seals, for $100.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Two STRUTS failed on mine both replaced under Fidelity Warranty. Car had 1 strut fail at under 30K and another at just over 30K.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got a set of 4 in York, PA - no leaks with 8,000 miles on them - that came off my 2021 V10 last fall when I did the Ohlins coilovers. Make an offer.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
My car is 85k miles and the shocks have never been replaced. I keep telling my dealer to check on their status but they never seem to. Is there any way to force them to look, passive aggressively. It seems odd mine would last this long.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is what they should be looking for...

My car is 85k miles and the shocks have never been replaced. I keep telling my dealer to check on their status but they never seem to. Is there any way to force them to look, passive aggressively. It seems odd mine would last this long.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

1 - 20 of 24 Posts