Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to "re-install" my Audi rings on the rear of my R8. The rings are in good shape and clean of any old adhesive. I'm looking for recommendations on what type of adhesive to use. Using the 3M Double-side tape seems like a complete beat-down to use since it is hard to cut out the ring shapes. I researched just buying a new badge w/ the adhesive on it, but might as well use what I have.

·
Super Moderator
3,985 Posts
The 3M trim tape is the way to go. Get the 1/4” wide stuff and do strips across. It cuts easily enough with sharp scissors or a sharp blade and it will stick better than anything else out there.

I lay in a strip, trim it, lay in another, trim it, repeat, repeat. A #11 X-Acto knife is the tool of choice.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The 3M trim tape is the way to go. Get the 1/4” wide stuff and do strips across. It cuts easily enough with sharp scissors or a sharp blade and it will stick better than anything else out there.
I lay in a strip, trim it, lay in another, trim it, repeat, repeat. A #11 X-Acto knife is the tool of choice.
There are two types of 1/4” 3M tape out there. Get the following one for trims (it is thinner)
3M Exterior Attachment tape

When you are putting it on the trim , cut the liner across for easy turns (not the whole tape just the liner. That way, you can pull the tape gently to follow a curve etc...)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Having tried lots of different tapes etc we have come to rely on the 3M that requires no cutting at all - very like the Indasa product but seems to withstand power washing / Scottish cold etc much better.(y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts