Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
At least 8, and possibly 10. You will have 2 at each wheel. You probably have two more in the rear, but you need to check. My 2010 does not have the two in the rear, but I've seen some diagrams showing that it does. You need to check the outboard end of item 22 in the diagram on this page and see if it has a ball joint or a bushing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At least 8, and possibly 10. You will have 2 at each wheel. You probably have two more in the rear, but you need to check. My 2010 does not have the two in the rear, but I've seen some diagrams showing that it does. You need to check the outboard end of item 22 in the diagram on this page and see if it has a ball joint or a bushing.

Thanks torqueit. I was told 10, but I don't see how that was possible. 2 at each wheel makes sense. I will check it out more.

AJ

·
Registered
408 Posts
Welcome. It's an easy one to see. Here's a pic of mine with the bushing setup - just went through this confirmation when ordering ball joints from VPS. ;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
How much did you pay per ball joint?
It was 89 euros per joint, and shipping was 39 euros total. I ordered 4 to start, so after exchange rate conversion to my door step, it came out to be about $485 USD.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Also, you need to measure your ball joint to see if it is M12 or M14. VPS was very helpful in sorting this out. They started by looking up my VIN, which indicated I should have M14, but I really have M12. You're probably an M12 based on being older, but I'd still measure to be sure. I believe VPS stocks both dimensions.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I still am looking for confirmation that these can work on a V10. Ive contacted Vargalant multiple times without response.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I still am looking for confirmation that these can work on a V10. Ive contacted Vargalant multiple times without response.
Did you go through the link on this page?

I had initially tried on their other site, and had no response. When I sent an email to the address on the page above, I had a very quick response. I'd give it another shot.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I contacted Prekom and they connected me with their US dealer, AW Imported auto parts. AW just started stocking these ball joints, but are mostly an Italian car part company (Lamborghini). I ordered 8 of them with the guarantee that if they do not fit I can return for a full refund.

·
Registered
408 Posts
torquiet, close to the same as you paid..
Hi, yes, thank you. I was just about to write very close in price and sounds like a good way to go.

Not sure if you've honed into this yet, but you'll need a special 27mm allen socket with a hole for the center pin to get the old ones out. I think this looks like the ticket:

·
Registered
2008 Manual 4.2l R8
5 Posts
What’s the torque spec for the ball joints when threaded into the control arm ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts