Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Will this work on a Gen 2? It won’t work on a gen 1. The frunk has a place you can plug it in but it only allows power to go through it when the key is on. Maybe it is different on a gen 2?
Charleyh—you are Correct...it does not charge unless ignition is on...so don’t buy the adaptor...lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Strange. I have a battery tender plus and has been charging like this for a week and is fully green.

I have 12 other cars in my garage with the same set up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I will ask my dealer if they did something because they had it plugged in the showroom like this also.
Yeah very strange. Couple possible things, wouldn’t take much to change the lead to the socket so it has constant powder ..or audi changed it for the 2020...I have a 17. I plugged in tender with it plug into socket...(I tested for 12volt first at socket and had 0v...the tender blinked red which meant it was not charging. Also red light on adaptor was not on. I got in car and turned on ignition and red light on tender became solid (charging) and red light on adaptor turned on. When I shut ignition off tender began to blink red and red light off on adaptor.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Ok..so tried out the adaptor.....it does not work unless ignition is on. If ignition is off no power to the 12volt socket which in turn does not allow the car to charge from a tender. 100 percent sure in this. Ended up finding the little panel ..pulled it down and there was a 12volt post right off battery. So save the 9.00😉
This is why a lot of us have gone with an external charging point, flat battery- frunk doesn't open with the key fob.

·
Registered
773 Posts
This is why a lot of us have gone with an external charging point, flat battery- frunk doesn't open with the key fob.
I ran my C-tech power lead under the passenger side wind shied so I didn’t have to open the fruck to plug in the power.

Do a search, I posted a detailed step by step install along with some pics.; there were also some other good ideas in that thread.
Jim

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts