Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my BC coilovers from Sharduhl this week and installed them last night. Total time to install was about 5 hours, but I also took a lot of time to clean behind the fender liners and cleaned the dirty fender liners too. The install was extremely straightforward, only requiring a few tools and remocal of the wheels and fender liners for access to the required hardware to install. The hardest part of the job is getting the height set just right! I have already made several adjustments, and the charachtersitics of the ride are better than my magnetic ride control, and more comfortable on the softer settings. Full hard is brutal!! But worthy of track use should I decide to do so someday. Remove the fender liners, undo upper and lower shock mounting bolts, remove magnetic ride terminal. Install new shocks, I installed the BC shocks 2 inches shorter than my factory shocks, and it only lowered the car about 1", so the mounting points must be a little different on the stock shocks. I still have 2" or so of adjustability to lower the car further, but will only do so a little at a time since my wheel fitment is very aggressive, I want to ensure I don't enounter any rubbing issues. Installation is very easy. I found the front shocks most difficult as the suspension had to be pushed down to line up the lower shock eye to align the bolt hole and using a long drift pin was used to help with the alignment.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All the magnetic damping cancellers were securely zip tied out of the way and tightly to prevent movement and disconnection. Worked perfectly upon firing up the car. No lights or anything. The ride height is now about 1/2" from where I would like it, but the suspension settings are 10 clicks from full soft(you will see if you get a set, they are notated H/S. I turned the shocks all the way soft and backed off 10 clicks. All 4 springs were preloaded 3 full turns tighter. There are many adjustments that can be made, but I am very happy with the quality of the kit, and the cost, simplicity! Before suspension and after picture. Also, both of my rear magnetic shocks were leaking! Nice timely upgrade! Thanks Sharduhl!

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Looks great. I'm considering these as m rears are leaking also. what's your initial opinion on the quality of parts?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks great. I'm considering these as m rears are leaking also. what's your initial opinion on the quality of parts?
As good as, if not better than any of the other KW or H&R options! The bodies of the BC shocks are thick and robust with quality powdercoat. The spring rates and adjustment knobs are easy to manipulate and the bushings are all high quality urethane. I have owned many performance cars and exotics over the years and this system is on par with all of the top names. And for the affordability of this set, your performance per dollar is huge! Ride quality is so good toward the soft end, that my wife even commented on how much more comfortable the car is to ride in!

Reactions: Dragonbird

·
Registered
104 Posts
As good as, if not better than any of the other KW or H&R options! The bodies of the BC shocks are thick and robust with quality powdercoat. The spring rates and adjustment knobs are easy to manipulate and the bushings are all high quality urethane. I have owned many performance cars and exotics over the years and this system is on par with all of the top names. And for the affordability of this set, your performance per dollar is huge! Ride quality is so good toward the soft end, that my wife even commented on how much more comfortable the car is to ride in!
Thank you for the feedback! I'll order these right away.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome! Good to see some interest! These are an excellent and affordable upgrade!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Really good write up. I have one leaking rear for sure but will get a full inspection done next week to see if any others are gone. If any of my fronts are leaking i will be going for this option too.
A question for the OP about the shock removal. Do you need to access the top under the engine plastic linings to remove/loosen top part of the shock or can all the work be done from under the car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Installed mine today. Fronts first, no issues. No lights. Installed rears and the suspension light came on. Anyone have any suggestions as to why? Checked all connectors and all was fine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have read that if the height is adjusted beyond 10% of the standard ride height then this can also trigger a suspension tolerance error. Not sure how true this is but thought it might also be something to consider.

·
Registered
298 Posts
hey guys, whoever has bc racing. how many clicks from soft are you guys running?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts