Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
How easy is it to change the ride stiffness once installed? Could I change the setting to stiff when I am changing the pads and tires from street to track?

I really like the soft street vs. stiff track settings with the OEM shocks, but am willing to do a little work each track day to make the change for this much of a cost savings :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have recently replaced my magnetic shocks on my 2010 R8 with Coilovers and I am not happy at all with them ... I have lowered the car only about a 1/4 inch (half centimeter) and did a new alignment but the whole steering system is acting weird and the car feels like is falling apart when taking sharp turns ... when I back out of my garage I take a 90 degree turn to the left and the front wheels feel like they will fall off ... I did not have this problem before with the standard magnetic shocks so I don't understand why it feels like this and if is normal ...

I installed them myself ... I am not a mechanic by trade but I have worked on cars with my dad since I was a little kid ... a local shop which did the alignment not me.

There is nothing special about changing the shocks on the R8, just two bolts to take out (one at each end) however because the coilovers are shorter than the OEM magnetic shocks the mechanic that did the alignment said that it changed the geometry of the suspension which I don't believe ... I took the car back to the mechanic and he said he checked everything and all looks ok.

I am not sure why the car does that but it is scary when you make sharp turns ... it feels like something is dragging underneath or a wheel will fall off ...:(

Anyone else had a similar experience with coilovers?

Thank you all

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Art,

My R8 came with the BC racing coil overs already installed with the standard softness, I would like to stiffen mine, do I need to remove the fender liner to make the adjustments?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm not a pro, but I was able to jack the front up and reach my hands in enough to twist them. It's not ideal. Alternatively, you can take off the two panels under the hood, and loosen the middle one (wipers stay on). This gave me enough room to adjust. PS I'm very impressed with my BC's but agree they take some dialing in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Ellipsis thank you for the quick reply, were you able to reach both front and rear when jacking, and did you need to take off the wheels to get to the dials. Also how many clicks are you, so I can use that as a baseline.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts