Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently there is a reason Pirelli won't warranty tires for track use.
These tires have a total of 1800 miles, all on the road except for 2 1/2 20-minute track sessions. Both were manufactured early 2019.
During the third 20-minute session the left front had a massive tread delamination. Caused some damage to the fender liner and maybe the side skirt. Waiting on a service appt to see what got damaged.

Tire temps and pressures were the same right & left. Stock alignment. Right front shows typical track wear on a street tire.

Left front Right front

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
They really are rubbish tyres. WTF do Audi persist in fitting them to their highest performing production car!! I wouldn't fit them to my wheel barrow.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I used mine for a few track days and they looked like your right side tire. I didn't think they were terrible, but not using them anymore. Glad you didn't get hurt though. Many here use the Michelins and I've heard other people talk about them chunking, which I have not seen first hand either. That's why you really need to inspect your car, tires and brakes when running on the track. It pushes everything to the extreme.

·
Registered
86 Posts
They really are rubbish tyres. WTF do Audi persist in fitting them to their highest performing production car!! I wouldn't fit them to my wheel barrow.
Unfortunately Audi and others are using Pirelli's a lot because Pirelli has been very aggressive on pricing. But they are not good - as shown here. Glad driver is OK and car is mostly OK...definitely could have been very bad.

Michelin's only here. PS4's for the street but I have many Road America and Grattan laps on them for our Ohlins suspension development and they look like new with even wear. PSC2's for most track time though...160 mph, 1.1-1.2 G cornering and braking continuous (Aim data acquisition) and the PSC2's also look like new after 9 half an hour sessions...stability control off...

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Unfortunately Audi and others are using Pirelli's a lot because Pirelli has been very aggressive on pricing. But they are not good - as shown here. Glad driver is OK and car is mostly OK...definitely could have been very bad.

Michelin's only here. PS4's for the street but I have many Road America and Grattan laps on them for our Ohlins suspension development and they look like new with even wear. PSC2's for most track time though...160 mph, 1.1-1.2 G cornering and braking continuous (Aim data acquisition) and the PSC2's also look like new after 9 half an hour sessions...stability control off...
Yes Michelin are my number 1 choice too. The only exception to that is for my sprint car which has to use road legal tyres that need to be super-fast warm up rubber without the use of blankets and so for this I use R888R's.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Many variables could cause problems with tires. However, that is a catastrophic failure which is most likely a manufacturing defect, a very old tire or perhaps both. Heat cycles, violent heating and cooling also affect tire behavior and longevity. I would report it to Pirelli for their comments and research. I have had "high performance" tires chunk due to track use and racing tires fail due to incorrect alignment for a specific track, excessive speed and/or heat.

What where the ambient and track temps? (approximately) and how long into a session did the tire fail? Was it vibrating before?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts