Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who’s got the best solution to upgrade the OEM paddles on a 2020 V10 Performance?

do the stick ons actually work and stay on?
I read somewhere that the Urus ones actually work but you have to swap the insides?

Any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
2017 Audi R8 Spyder
23 Posts
Hey. If you read my post from last week entitled "R8 mods, tips and accessories.." (Audi R8 Mods, Tips and accessories that don't cost...)" in this gen2 forum, I talk about the Winnsport paddle extenders and have a pic. They do not use adhesive or have a set screw that damages your factory paddles. They are the only extenders that "clamp" that I could find. Some prefer replacing the paddles altogether but I opted to try out the extenders first and so far, they work great for my purposes (casual tracking but mostly daily driving).

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe 2014 SQ5
379 Posts
DSG paddles uses set screws for the R8.(they also include two sided tap but I didn’t use it) So far no issues.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DSG paddles uses set screws for the R8.(they also include two sided tap but I didn’t use it) So far no issues.
Which DSG paddles are you referring to?

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks!

you happy with these? Seems like a great price
Do u have any pics of them installed ?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks!

you happy with these? Seems like a great price
Do u have any pics of them installed ?

Sometimes they block small portions of the screen depending on the steering wheel position. I got black because I’m going to powder coat them yellow to match the exterior color. The red ones would be the best pick to match the rest of the R8 red accents. I used purple lock tight on the set screws. They include two sided tape which I didn’t use. The set screws hold them firm.

Reactions: slammedr8

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you don't mind waiting you can get those aluminium DSG paddles on Aliexpress for $30 USD a pair, they and every other seller sources them from there or directly from the manufacturers on Alibaba. I actually ordered red and silver (aluminium) colored ones yesterday, will see how i like them.

So far i have also tried these Ali carbon ones. Don't order them, they are extremely light and empty in the inside, this makes them feel very cheap, there is maybe 2 clayers of carbon. I can confirm it was an actual carbon fiber though, broke one apart just to see...

P.S: If you use the tape to clue these to your OEM paddles, the removal will be extremely tricky and there is high likelyhood your oem paddles will fall apart or break. There are also parts inside that might fall out such as the metal flexible leaf spring thing and the LED light plastic guideline. Here is how the OEM paddle looks like from the inside and how the back cover sits on it:

The main problem with most "tape on" paddles is that they are clued to the OEM paddle back part, which is fixed in place by small plastic edges. This will have some flex, plus the tape itself will have some play in it too, this results in a much higher play at the tip of the extensions and possibly breaking the small plastic clips on the black back cover.

I haven't tried yet, but the screws should slightly help on the aluminium extensions. Then again this likely damages the chrome trim and i might aswell try using some epoxy clue resin or something to fix the black plastic part in place, then clue the extension and also use the screws it comes with. This should result in a single hard piece that should have minimal flex, however there is no going back then and most likely you would need to remove the paddles to do this.

Hope this is some useful insight for those looking to upgrade!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had a set that attached via set screws, but they permanently damage the OE paddles. My newest set actually clamp on to the OE paddles preventing any damage. Have them on the R8 and S3.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a set that attached via set screws, but they permanently damage the OE paddles. My newest set actually clamp on to the OE paddles preventing any damage. Have them on the R8 and S3.
Do you have a link to your paddles? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
379 Posts
First everyone says the stock shift paddles are cheap junk.
Then they say adhesives paddles won’t hold (true)
Then they say set screw paddles leave marks(true) on the aforementioned cheap junk paddles (marks you can’t see)
Then we get into the whole carbon fiber quality (or lack thereof) discussion.
If it bothers you that much go through the brain damage and pull the steering wheel and replace the entire paddle assembles.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First everyone says the stock shift paddles are cheap junk.
Then they say adhesives paddles won’t hold (true)
Then they say set screw paddles leave marks(true) on the aforementioned cheap junk paddles (marks you can’t see)
Then we get into the whole carbon fiber quality (or lack thereof) discussion.
If it bothers you that much go through the brain damage and pull the steering wheel and replace the entire paddle assembles.
this is what I’ve decided to do...any suggestions on full replacements?

·
Registered
379 Posts
this is what I’ve decided to do...any suggestions on full replacements?
Best of luck. There are most likely many alternatives out there. Some good, some not so much. Post em up, you’ll get plenty of feedback.

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
Get a complete new wheel with extended shifters from Euroboutique, the R8 desrves a good looking wheel, not one from an A4.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts