Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am looking to buy an R8. I am not that well funded so depreciation is always a concern to me and I nearly always buy cars that have taken the biggest hit. I wish to keep money back to maintain the car properly but it is likely I will sell it in a year or two as I get bored.

So, out of all the R8 versions on sale, which version has most likely bottomed out or is near bottom in price terms?
I have no real preference for engine size or spec but I would be grateful if you could also include the spec on the car to purchase to help with that residual. I know very little about R8 cars. My only Audi was a modified RS3.

Ah, also, does a Spyder keep value better than the coupe?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The RS3 went a few years back. It blew up :)

I have the funds to buy the car no problem - I just have a phobia about depreciation (missus has had a Bentley GTC for 5 years).

I have also been looking at Gallardos and F430 Manuals. I just want to buy a nice car and maintain it but when I sell it, not suddenly realise I have also dropped $xx,xxx on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, just now reading the forum threads.

People seem to be remarking on the manual cars holding well or even on an upward trajectory. That suits me.

I assume the V10 is more desired than the V8 in general or should I not worry and just get any manual?

Is it best to get the earliest manual possible then for the best deal or the latest one?

Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a good comparison of what the cheapest versions currently available in the UK are like:

2007 V8 Coupe @ £37000 37k miles

2011 V10 Spyder @ £50000 48k miles

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Here in the UK we are not enjoying the same rate of appreciation for manuals that are our cousins in the US are, but they do appear to be on the rise. My money would go on a V10 manual coupe which I just happen to have already. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, that sounds like the move.

Looking at specs, I fancy the B&O I had in the RS3.

Is the Mag Ride important?

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe
238 Posts
Yep, that sounds like the move.

Looking at specs, I fancy the B&O I had in the RS3.

Is the Mag Ride important?
Avoid the mag ride if possible. Known for failure and expensive to replace/rebuild.
B&O is a good upgrade. But its not anywhere near as good as a high end aftermarket.

Reactions: dunnowattaget

·
Registered
90 Posts
Check out the videos from Fourwheel Trader. He has done some interesting market analysis. It is oriented to the U.S. market, but should have some relevant information. He also says to contact him for analysis he hasn't done. Perhaps ask him for a UK R8 video?

Here's a direct link to one of his recent videos on R8 values:

And this is a search on him and R8 videos in general he's done:

And I don't think you can go too far wrong with a manual V8 for a relatively low entry price and low depreciation risk.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cheapest V8 manuals will lose the least. They have bottomed out imo.

Crazy that a V10 manual went for less than £40k at the start of the first lockdown.

I think prices in general will take a big hit once the furlough scheme ends and recession really sets in. Millions of people won’t have jobs to go back to when the government stops paying them.

·
Registered
Suzuka Gated V10, B6 S4 Nogaro, Because One V8 isn't enough B7 S4
20 Posts
I'm not to familiar with the market in the UK, but with a new administration stateside anything big NA powered & manual has shot up recently. If you're able to get into a nice low mile example V10 gated that's the best bet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, ok, will go with a gated V10. Had a quick look at an LMX and GT, due to rarity, but really fancy a manual car for that full engagement feeling.

Cheers.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The RS3 went a few years back. It blew up :)

I have the funds to buy the car no problem - I just have a phobia about depreciation (missus has had a Bentley GTC for 5 years).

I have also been looking at Gallardos and F430 Manuals. I just want to buy a nice car and maintain it but when I sell it, not suddenly realise I have also dropped $xx,xxx on it.
In that case every 1st gen R8 will suit you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Here in the UK we are not enjoying the same rate of appreciation for manuals that are our cousins in the US are, but they do appear to be on the rise. My money would go on a V10 manual coupe which I just happen to have already. :)
Yes, in Europe we are used to drive manual cars all our lives which is not the case in the USA. In fact I wonder if the R8 has been developed for the American market since so many R-tronics have been sold as compared to manuals :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
V8 is really highly regarded this side of the pond. Many say it is “the drivers” choice due to the lighter weight.

·
Registered
2020 R8 V10 Performance Coupe Ascari Blue
47 Posts
Can I hijack the thread with a different question?

which gen-2 trim will hold it’s value better for longer term or even appreciate in price after a while? Why?

Gen-2 V10 base pre-facelift
Gen-2 V10 plus pre-facelift
Gen-2 V10 RWS pre-facelift
Gen-2 V10 base Quattro post-facelift
Gen-2 V10 performance post-facelift
Gen-2 V10 RWD post facelift

·
Registered
2020 R8 V10 Performance Coupe Ascari Blue
47 Posts
My money is on pre-facelift V10 plus. Reasons:

1) Sounds better
2) I heard it’s tuned better than Performance model
3) it’s subjective but a lot feel Plus looks better though I think Performance is more modern.
4) higher HP - equivalent to Huracan

Thoughts?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Many say it is “the drivers” choice due to the lighter weight.
As I was researching my car, I came across this sediment from many sources. Very similar remarks regarding the handling are made regarding the 4 versus 6 cylinder first gen TTs. All of this played into my decision to go for a V8 instead of the V10. I'll also add something pointed out to me, which was the better gas mileage of the V8 is an often overlooked perk.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can I hijack the thread with a different question?

which gen-2 trim will hold it’s value better for longer term or even appreciate in price after a while? Why?

Gen-2 V10 base pre-facelift
Gen-2 V10 plus pre-facelift
Gen-2 V10 RWS pre-facelift
Gen-2 V10 base Quattro post-facelift
Gen-2 V10 performance post-facelift
Gen-2 V10 RWD post facelift
I think they will all be similar. The lack of a manual and the hurracan will stop them from really appreciating imo.

I’m looking for a 16/17 V10 plus. Best looking and sounding to me.

Later cars in Europe just don’t sound as good.

Ive been wondering if a Hurracan is a better long term bet recently, but neither are rare.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts