Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks like this just came out today, and from your neck of the woods. Another one to tempt you with the V8 for hedging your bets ;) :

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ive been wondering if a Hurracan is a better long term bet recently, but neither are rare.
This is strictly anecdotal, but I like to go on long drives up the Pacific Coast Highway (“PCH”
to us locals) and through the nearby canyons. I probably see about three or four Hurracans for every R8. It’s 911s, Hurracans, Corvettes, gap, Aston Martins, Ferrari Californias, and R8s.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It’s finally sinking in - these engines are on borrowed time. They will all appreciate if you keep miles down and hold on to them for long enough!

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is strictly anecdotal, but I like to go on long drives up the Pacific Coast Highway (“PCH”
to us locals) and through the nearby canyons. I probably see about three or four Hurracans for every R8. It’s 911s, Hurracans, Corvettes, gap, Aston Martins, Ferrari Californias, and R8s.
I wouldn’t be seen dead in a California. Awful car.

This is the issue though. All those cars are too common to seriously appreciate.

Even 991 GT3’s are common compared to previous GT3’s, which makes their used prices questionable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used to share your contempt for the California, but it has a key attribute that makes it worthwhile (and may ultimately make the Portfino may next car in 6-7 years); namely, it’s the only hardtop convertible in its class. There’s definitely something nice about being able to drive with the top down along the PCH. The soft tops are like motorcycles, offering limited protection if the car rolls. The California has both the hard top and bars that shoot up behind the rear seats. Also, I’m not a fan of the R8 Spyders, so I’d probably take the looks of a California over a Spyder. The Targa would be the other option, in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I wouldn’t be seen dead in a California. Awful car.

This is the issue though. All those cars are too common to seriously appreciate.

Even 991 GT3’s are common compared to previous GT3’s, which makes their used prices questionable.
I've spent a fair amount of time in a Cali, both as a driver and a passenger, and I couldn't really fault it. What is it about the car you find so 'awful'?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've spent a fair amount of time in a Cali, both as a driver and a passenger, and I couldn't really fault it. What is it about the car you find so 'awful'?
Everything to be honest. It’s the opposite of what I personally like in cars. The revised headlights look better, but it just looks wrong to me.

I just hate the image. Its a Ferrari lite for people that want the badge, but would kill themselves in any other model.

Im not saying it’s a bad car, but it shouldn’t have a Ferrari badge. Just not special enough. They look awful next to a 15 year old Maserati. Ironic as it’s more like a Maserati than a Ferrari.

Ferrari dont usually mess up, but I think the California (awful name too) damages their image.

Prices reflect the fact that they are the unloved Ferrari.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Are you aware that the Cali was originally going to be a Maserati but Ferrari commandered it? Given that, you could be right that a lot of people don't see it as being special enough to carry the Prancing Horse insignia. Values do appear to suggest that too as you say. Good job we are all different though as I quite like it, but not enough to swap my R8 for one. lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That makes sense. Definitely seems more Maserati than Ferrari.

R8 is a different beast. Opposite in a way. It’s essentially a Lamborghini with a Audi badge. The California is a Maserati wearing a Ferrari badge. One is a understated super car, the other is not that special, but comes with a very special badge.

The new Roma seems a bit Aston for a Ferrari too.

R8 is the only car I’m looking at. I would like a 991.2 gt3, but not at current prices.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree that the problem with the California is that it’s a tweener. I don’t think I’d consider a Maserati special enough at that price point, but it also seems like a little bit of a wannabe Ferrari. I also think it’s tough to pay that much without getting a mid engine car. It’s a shame that other carmakers haven’t offered a hardtop option for cars like the DB11, 911 (other than the Targa), or R8 Spyder.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I can speak for the manual V8s, I studied the prices well 1 year ago when I bought mine and just looked at them again today. The prices are steady and seem to be even up about $10k on average. Not a lot, but enough to curb the depreciation anxiety.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not buying the v8 being a better drivers car. A v10 plus weighs like 20 lbs more than a v8 and has a lot more power. Talking mpg is a joke lol.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I'm not buying the v8 being a better drivers car. A v10 plus weighs like 20 lbs more than a v8 and has a lot more power. Talking mpg is a joke lol.
I agree. I've driven both and you cant tell the difference other than the power delivery. The V10 just feels more exotic and the power on the V8 is considerably less. Dont get me wrong I still like V8's but I just like V10's better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is lighter so it’s kind of obvious. Not many drivers drive at 9/10’s so it doesn’t effect most of us.

American roads (wide, flat, grid pattern) also means it’s less of a issue for you.

Id personally go for the V10, but every journalist that could drive said the same on launch.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I too own a V8 and will go with Kev on this one. Don't get me wrong, If I could afford a V10 in my garage (6 spd!) I'd have one sitting beside my V8. But I also recall many journalists stating the V8 was more of a "drivers" car due to the rear mass of the V10 over the V8. I'm not skilled enough as a driver to argue or disprove their points. Another case in point......I remember speaking to the lucky owner of an original 289 Cobra and 427 Cobra and he told me the 427 was ridiculously fun in a straight line with the 289 being much more "fun" in the twisty's for the exact same reason.....weight of the 427 over the 289. This lead me to ask him so, which one would you keep if you could only keep one.....ever the diplomat he replied.....its like asking me which is my favorite child. He really couldn't choose.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Going back to the OP, how confident are we that the V8 automatic price is tied to the Gen 1 V10 automatic price? My guess, as an non-expert, is that the Gen 1 V8 will always trail the V10 by $10k-$15k. However, there’s a case to be made that as the Gen 2s depreciate to below $100k, the Gen 1 V10s (particularly the S tronics) will be most directly impacted. The V8s have the benefit of being the original and are more rare (particularly the S tronics).

Are there examples of other older cars in which the smaller engine overtook the larger engine in price? It’s actually happening with the DB11s at the moment, but that seems to be based on the V8s being AMG engines.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’ve not long purchased a 2008 V8 it’s has 52k miles full Audi history, full carbon inside outside and engine bay, titanium exhaust which is a must for me, refurbed v10 alloys new tyres, had complete new brakes all round with refurbed callipers, B&O system, had full new coil overs aswell also has front end spray to remove chips etc then to top it off full detailing and ceramic coating and price was I think a bargain £31,000 which I personally think for what ur getting it can’t be beat the looks the sound is amazing 🤩

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
R8 is a different beast. Opposite in a way. It’s essentially a Lamborghini with a Audi badge....
Well, er, ah - NOT really or even less 'essentially.' See this :

21 - 40 of 41 Posts