Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to buy one of the valved exhaust systems for the r8 once I get my v8. Which one is the loudest and best sounding?

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I'll have to throw in for the Fabspeed - I've listened to about all of them in person, and still like my Fabspeed the best...and it has the added benefits of easily being nearly the best fabricated and gorgeous (although once installed you can hardly see a thing) AND being quite a deal price-wise.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Another vote for Capristo. Incredible sound, claimed 24 bhp power increase and over 40 lbs weight saving over stock.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Can't speak to the Capristo but my Stasis is great. It's quite loud, has a beautiful crackle at throttle-off, and upshifts are powerful.

But it drones beneath 2800. Gotta be able to live with that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
They all sound about the same tbh. A pipe is a pipe is a pipe.

Real difference is in volume, and metal used (TI or SS, with stainless steel being both the better sound and cheaper metal - im about to piss off some people who paid out the ass for their titanium exhausts and get a few "MY titanium exhaust sounds ten times better than those SS ones!!" replies lol)

Volume is determined by number of resonators or cans along the way, and thats about it.

Your engine determines the sound of your exhaust by 95%.

Now with that out of the way, there are some nice brand names up there, as well as a few threads on cheapo ebay exhausts which people run with no issues.

Pick what fits your budget. Youll be happy regardless which route you go.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Volume is determined by number of resonators or cans along the way, and thats about it.

THIS.

You can get rid of the cats, but it requires removing the motor to replace the headers (cats are built into the headers).

And the main difference between the R8 V10 and say the '04-'08 Lambo Gallardo is that the Gallardo had an even firing engine, which gives you that high pitched F1 sound. The R8 V10 and I believe the '09+ Gallardos have odd firing engines, so you simply can't get a high pitched F1 sound out of them. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
881 Posts

THIS.

You can get red of the cats, but it requires removing the motor to replace the headers (cats are built into the headers).

And the main difference between the R8 V10 and say the '04-'08 Lambo Gallardo is that the Gallardo had an even firing engine, which gives you that high pitched F1 sound. The R8 V10 and I believe the '09+ Gallardos have odd firing engines, so you simply can't get a high pitched F1 sound out of them. Plain and simple.
The cats are in the headers but you actually can remove them while the headers are still bolted in (it's kinda a PITA though).

·
Registered
159 Posts
They all sound about the same tbh. A pipe is a pipe is a pipe.

Real difference is in volume, and metal used (TI or SS, with stainless steel being both the better sound and cheaper metal - im about to piss off some people who paid out the ass for their titanium exhausts and get a few "MY titanium exhaust sounds ten times better than those SS ones!!" replies lol)

Now with that out of the way, there are some nice brand names up there, as well as a few threads on cheapo ebay exhausts which people run with no issues.

Pick what fits your budget. Youll be happy regardless which route you go.
MY Armytrix sounds twenty times better than those SS ones!!

J/K ;)

I wanted titanium so looked at IPE and Armytrix...went with Armytrix. It adds a (slightly) higher pitch to the V8 in high revs. Definitely a different sound...sort of raspy (don't confuse with farty)...which I like. Is expensive though. 3rd place vote goes to Fabspeed.

·
Registered
403 Posts
+1 for Capristo. Love the way it sounds and that I can open and close it with the remote.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Akrapovic has a very refined sound. Videos on youtube don't really catch the sound (you need to be behind the car when it's under load to appreciate it). Akrapovic also has open/closed valves and it's very quiet when closed.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Akrapovic has a very refined sound. Videos on youtube don't really catch the sound (you need to be behind the car when it's under load to appreciate it). Akrapovic also has open/closed valves and it's very quiet when closed.
Akra not available for the V8.
Our favorites: Capristo, Armytrix, Tubi

What model V8 does the OP have?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any further comparisons..vs Stock sport exhaust? Louder, (deeper/higher) pitch...Shopping , looking at Fabspeed...anyone hear Quicksilver? Thx

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think just about anything will be better than stock, IMO. I went with Fabspeed. It should be should be shipping this week and installed before I get home on the 18th. I can provide more feedback once I hear it in person.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another vote for Capristo on the V8! I had a Avitor exhaust but decided to switch to Capristo for the valve features, it's nice to roll out of the neighborhood in quiet mode and then open them up on the highway on ramp. I agree with Shaggy, anything is better than stock.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have the Tubi.....it sounds awesome and has 0 drone.

Reactions: three_dead_trolls
1 - 20 of 45 Posts