Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Enthusiast first, vendor second.
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this info in a few other sub-forums so my apologies for this tasty deep fried spam. Posting this here just in case there are 2nd gen owners who never venture out of this sub-forum.

The new CFRC discs, direct replacement for the Audi (Brembo) CCB rotors are now being produced en masse. The test fit is done and they're humming along with full production. We're looking at two weeks before they ship.

Those with the iron rotor base brake package, the CFRC discs should start production for that fitment in the beginning of June.

More info here: The best brake rotors on the planet, period.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Brief update, I have TWO full sets (4 discs) of Surface Transforms discs inbound and due to arrive on the 15th of May and are first come, first serve. These are the first two kits in the country.

The two kits are CCB replacement rotors, 380x38mm front, 356x32mm rear. Bolt-on application, no mods necessary.

The iron disc to carbon ceramic CFRC replacement fitment has been signed off by the engineers and pending payment, would be six to eight weeks for delivery. Either set will always be on a per-order basis due to cost.

Fits the R8, all years, Huracán all years, Gallardo 2009+, and RS5 B8.

Now the best part. We were expecting a $6750 cost per axle but it's now $6325 for two discs, $12,650 for all four wheels.

And we're going to do a group buy to kick things off

The group buy is strictly limited to no more and no less than 10 sets. It'll be $400 off each axle or $800 off total. And they will honestly never be this inexpensive again.

For anyone purchasing the first two sets inbound, if the group buy goes through, you'll be reimbursed $800.

I keep the top of this thread updated with new details as well.

If you're interested in one of the first two sets or in the group buy, either send me a private message here or an email, [email protected]. I'm also happy to converse by phone.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's actually not the point. It's fairly easy to kill traditional CCB's on-track. With the CFRC rotors, that isn't an issue. You can set the stock discs aside, sell them, do whatever, and track confidently with a superior rotor that offers less fade than traditional CCB rotors, can run a wider range of pad choices and can stand up to track abuse all while handling daily driving chores.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of the two CCB replacement sets arriving in May, one set is now sold (to an R8Talk member). One still available!

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pad choices...some are interested in knowing what's available for the CCB and iron rotor replacement sets. R8's equipped with CCB's use Pagid brake pad shape 4907 front and 1287 on the rear. Iron brakes use Pagid 2931 up front and the same 1287 in the rear.

Right now all of the Pagid RSC pads would work and the RSC1 has been tested along with the RSL1, RSL29.

We're currently testing with a big brake pad manufacturer popular in Porsche circles (who shall remain unnamed at this point and time) and they'll be offering several of their existing compounds and possibly a unique compound just for these rotors and a very special car. But know there will be multiple compounds as not one brake pad makes everyone happy. You'll be able to dial in your preferred feel.

In addition, we're reaching out to Carbotech and they make several pads which work with the OE CCB rotors and should be just fine for the new ST rotors. These include the street pad 1521, track pads XP8, XP10 and XP12. Carbotech is an awesome company and their pads are made here in the U.S. If they're not in stock, they make them then and there and have them shipped within three days. The XP20 and XP24 will need testing and in that endeavor, we'll be delivering a rotor for them to test on the brake dyno. I've used their pads for years on various cars, track and street and they've never let me down. www.ctbrakes.com.

In the end we'll most likely end up with 9-12 different pad choices. There will be something for everyone to dial in their preferred brake feel.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Photos! The very first set of R8-specific (Huracán/Gallardo too) rotors have been delivered to an excited forum member who has quickly test fit the front rotor and will be doing the rear later today (we all have to work!).

These'll be an exceptional, if not necessary, upgrade for all the guys running an SC or TT setup too, if you spend $50K doubling output, you might want to take a look at upgrading the rotors and pads.

Says he lifted the boxes off his front porch and smiled in reaction to how light they were. He'll get weights for the discs later today but I can tell you this, it'll be a great deal lighter than 30 pound Girodisc rotors and will outperform them by a vast amount, not only in wear but in outright performance. And rotating, unsprung weight is the most critical, effective weight you can remove from a car, period.

The "pizza" boxes.

I do have ONE MORE SET available immediately. [email protected] if you're interested!

Full track report coming soon. Testing Pagid RSC1's and possibly Carbotech XP12's.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more, the rears fit as well! We are good for launch.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the total cost to replace all 4 rotors are more than 12,000 USD! Holly shietttt!!!
Have you priced out the OE CCB rotors???? You think these are expensive...And just remember, these can be refurbished twice and can take the thermal stress imposed by track duty where the OE CCB's cannot for any length of time. I've seen people kill the OE CCB rotors in a weekend. Thank you, that'll be $24K!

Guys'll drop $6K on a titanium exhaust and $5K on seats with little gain where these rotors will improve all around performance to a higher level. And then there's the $50K people spend on a TT kit with a stand alone system which doubles their hp and they don't touch the brakes. These were $200K cars so I guess it's all relative. We're not driving Miatas.

The Porsche guys all flock to these rotors over the PCCB rotors (same Brembos as Audi uses, they just add the P in the acronym). They are the go-to replacement in that community.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Official press release from ST. They were waiting for us to get the first set installed :)

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Official weight is...
13 pounds front (5.89kg)
9 pounds rear (4.08kg)

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe they're around 24 pounds front if I remember correctly, not sure on the rears but likely in the 15-18 pound range.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Have you priced out the OE CCB rotors???? You think these are expensive...And just remember, these can be refurbished twice and can take the thermal stress imposed by track duty where the OE CCB's cannot for any length of time. I've seen people kill the OE CCB rotors in a weekend. Thank you, that'll be $24K!

Guys'll drop $6K on a titanium exhaust and $5K on seats with little gain where these rotors will improve all around performance to a higher level. And then there's the $50K people spend on a TT kit with a stand alone system which doubles their hp and they don't touch the brakes. These were $200K cars so I guess it's all relative. We're not driving Miatas.

The Porsche guys all flock to these rotors over the PCCB rotors (same Brembos as Audi uses, they just add the P in the acronym). They are the go-to replacement in that community.
I think the trouble is that most of us wont use them for what they are for - performance.

$12K is a LOT of coin to solve for what I would believe most of us want, which is less brake dust! Cut this price in half and design a set like the Porsche PSCB (Porsche’s New Brakes: Less Dust, (Slightly) Shorter Stops | The BRAKE Report) and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to keep the item in stock.

They are only one's smart enough to do it at the moment, but being second here would be a great market opportunity.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the trouble is that most of us wont use them for what they are for - performance.

$12K is a LOT of coin to solve for what I would believe most of us want, which is less brake dust! Cut this price in half and design a set like the Porsche PSCB (Porsche’s New Brakes: Less Dust, (Slightly) Shorter Stops | The BRAKE Report) and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to keep the item in stock.

They are only one's smart enough to do it at the moment, but being second here would be a great market opportunity.
I would say get out and enjoy the car and use it for it's intended purpose! There are plenty of us who enjoy our cars on the street and track and would benefit from what these rotors offer. Track days are immensely fun and a good, safe way to explore the limits of the car. And you do not have to go all-out, there are slower groups and instructors so the learning curve isn't as steep. It'll be the best time you've ever had, I promise. And you'll most likely learn a lot about the dynamics of your R8.

Even on the street, initial turn-in, steering effort/feel, braking power, feel, noise vibration and harshness, all of that is improved. Not to mention acceleration! Anyone who enjoys the back roads will be able to experience the performance increase and long-term peace of mind. I'm positive it'll also add value for a car on the used market as well.

I totally get the brake dust thing...my RS5 has carbon ceramic fronts and iron rears and the difference in dust/dirt is quite noticeable. First world problems, sigh. And Porsche's new rotors do not have many of the benefits of carbon ceramic rotors.

With that said...these really are about removing rotating, unsprung mass, fade-free performance, disc life and ease of use, one rotor for track and street with no shortcomings. The Porsche Surface Transforms rotors we can't keep in stock as they fly off the shelf so fast. Anyone running the PCCBs that track switch over to these or other super high end brake kits which are well above the cost of our rotors. The iron rotor guys do the same as there's a dramatic difference between the ST rotors and iron. Same with the McClaren guys. They're switching out their stock CCB's for these due to all the reasons I've mentioned in my post.

These definitely aren't a vanity product, they're a premium performance product for driving enthusiasts, discerning individuals who want the best without compromise.

Speaking of track days, the event at VIR in the RWD R8 was a huge success. Even with lots of traffic, times were improved three seconds plus with the new rotors installed. No fade at all throughout the day although the driver is fast enough to take advantage of a more aggressive pad. We ran RSC1's this time out and they performed well, better than the same pad in his Porsche GT3 which is also equipped with Surface Transforms rotors. Next time, we'll likely use the RSL29 pad or one of the new pads being released for these rotors.

I'll have some pics up soon. On a side note, we'll also be releasing a new line of clutches for the first gen R8/Gallardo which will outperform everything else on market while also beating them on price so stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
On a side note, we'll also be releasing a new line of clutches for the first gen R8/Gallardo which will outperform everything else on market while also beating them on price so stay tuned!

Staying tuned.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On a side note, we'll also be releasing a new line of clutches for the first gen R8/Gallardo which will outperform everything else on market while also beating them on price so stay tuned!

Staying tuned.
Here are a few teaser photos. We'll most likely be setting up a group buy on the clutches as well, with an introductory discount for said group buy which'll include a lightweight flywheel at lower price than the competition. 400% greater lifespan that's all I'm saying! :) All made in Austin, Texas. Multiple stages for various torque ratings up to stuff for you TT guys. Kevlar and ceramic options. There won't be anything better than what we're offering.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
Here are a few teaser photos. We'll most likely be setting up a group buy on the clutches as well, with an introductory discount for said group buy which'll include a lightweight flywheel at lower price than the competition. 400% greater lifespan that's all I'm saying! :) All made in Austin, Texas. Multiple stages for various torque ratings up to stuff for you TT guys. Kevlar and ceramic options. There won't be anything better than what we're offering.

Look forward to seeing everything you'll be offering.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Look forward to seeing everything you'll be offering.
Thank you! Trying not to grow too fast as customer service, responsiveness and sense of urgency is very important to me so rolling out products that are in demand/needed to the public.

We'll be adding a whole host of parts and can do everything from custom clutch packs to full-built, race-prepped gearboxes that can handle thousands of hp. We have LSD's, drop gear sets, mid plate and retaining plates, you name it. It's all been developed and has been in production for some time but due to other projects, like the rotors, we haven't pushed it as strongly as we'd like to in the general public. All the big name shops use the products already, you just don't know it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts