Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a flat tyre and had to have the vehicle flatbedded back to a tyrefitter by the RAC (Audi Assist). The RAC could not use their own vehicle and brought in an external contractor. They loaded the vehicle secured at the car and at the attending RAC man's insistence fitted a restraint over the front wheel. They delivered the vehicle to the tyre depot the next day. Two new tyres later I take the car home. On washing the car a day or two later I noted a dent just forward of the front offside wheel - small and difficult to see initially but there all the same - estimate to repair involved a complete replacement of the front bumper at a total cost of around £850. Now I have received a letter from the RAC denying liability becuase the receiving garage did not note any damage when it arrived to them. In truth the damage was small but it was still there and was most definitely caused by the front restraint moving during transit.

The moral of the tale is that you must be at both the loading and the unloading of the car and carefully note any damage. Do not let any restraints touch any part of the bodywork.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I watched my car being loaded and unloaded like a hawk. The R8 roadside assistance would only send someone that was trained in loading and unloading an R8. Note the multiple planks needed. He cleared the front bumper by 1/2"

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
We trailer our cars to the track days. It was difficult to figure out how to tie down the R8 without rubbing the bodywork. I've attached a picture of the restraints I am using. They require three tie down points in the floor of the trailer PER WHEEL, so I ended up installing two strips of airline track the length of the car. Still have to be very careful when placing the anchors to keep the straps away from the body when tightened. Once properly in place they do an excellent job of restraining the car and nothing touches the bodywork, frame, wheel well, suspension components, etc.

I found them at www.truckntow.com, search for the part number: TK002-PS

(If you have dedicated track wheels: these tie downs from the same source also work well, and are much easier to use: TH050-K4-PSR. Downside is they tend to put fine scratches in the rims unless the wheel and strap is perfectly clean. Who wants to be cleaning wheels at dusk on Sunday night when facing a long, long drive home?)

Hope this is of some help.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
desperado has the right system. I recently trailered my R8 to the dealer (200 miles) away just to know I could. I had race ramp extension for my trailer ramps and all the usual tie downs. None worked and everything rubbed. I did find some straps that would attach to the lower A-Arm and only touched a bit of the very inner underbody. Clearance was 1 inch at best even with the beavertail during load and unload. Car rode find on the trailer but I will stabilize the trailer on 4 points during unloading and loading in the future and I will look into a wheel track system as this is really the only way to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts