Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still wading through it, but thought I'd give you the heads up in case you hadn't seen it yet.

I could scan it & post it up for our overseas friends, but would that pose a copyright problem?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Copyright shouldn't pose a problem. It is done all the time. Don't think they will ever notice and if they do, I don't think they are going to go trough all the trouble of sueing you. The worst that could happen is that they will ask you to remove it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
yeah pls scan - or is it available somewhere on the net? dont think they sell this mag in switzerland...

thanks anyway

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just finished reading it myself ... maybe AndyW will be putting some scans up later ... a reasonable and not unexpected review after seeing some of the on line reviews over the last week ... they even do the inevitable and compare it to a 911 ... this particular 911 being a Carrera 2, so not the ideal model that they would have liked to use ... which would have been the C4S ...

Anyway ... they are positive about the R8 ... but point out it is less practical than the 911 ... although the R8 has a better interior and is comparible for speed ... the most notable area they still hand to the 911 is the interaction between driver car and road ... I'll not reveal all just yet ... I suspect AndyW might be about to psot something and maybe even include a scan or two.

It hasn't changed my thoughts on the R8 ... my order will remain in place and I'm still aching for the day I can get my hands on an R8.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Interesting to note that Autocar found the steering a bit dull compared to the 911 but that Autoexpress found it pin sharp...:rolleyes:
lol ... one man's meat ... another man's poison ... feel will vary marginally from car to car ... just like one engine will put out slightly different figures from another ... maybe AutoCar are pro Porsche ... maybe AutoExpress are pro Audi ... who knows ... :confused:

I'm sure I will be very happy with my R8 ... regardless of the press opinion ... although it is nice to read positive press about a car you are waiting to drive out of a dealership somewhere close by ... :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
AutoExpress are a bit like 'the Sun' of the UK motoring press! I think the Autocar comparison against the C2S will prove pretty accurate and as they say which car you prefer depends on which attributes you have as a priority. I've had my C2S now for over two years and its been truly outstanding but as I've got a little older I've come to appreciate that for my everyday car I dont always need or want such a high level of feedback through the steering or the chassis! So I'm definitely still going for the R8 but I'm very interested in seeing Porsche's reaction when they facelift the 911 in a year or two.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the delay! Didn't get a chance to do this yesterday, nor this morning yet, but am on the case now. Watch this space!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sorry for the delay! Didn't get a chance to do this yesterday, nor this morning yet, but am on the case now. Watch this space!
Ok, you have to stand in the corner for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aha - sorted:

Sorry they're a bit big, they had to be to be legible & even now they're a bit fuzzy in places.

Enjoy!

AndyW the IT numpty

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks!

I still believe it is a matter of taste, the steering of the 911 vs the R8. I find the appearance of the 911 rather dull and old fashioned when you look at the both cars side to side.

I always disliked the Porsches interior, it did get better, but it is still far from my taste.

I'll be a happy man when my R8 arrives (hoping in may!)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pleasure, guys!

It reads to me like the writer's being a bit half-hearted in his praise though. He likes it ok, but it's not powerful enough, not fast enough, steering not feelsome enough, too many of them being made (!), not practical enough, not spacious enough, blah blah blah.

Be interesting to see what Car & Evo make of it in a few days' time.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
617 Posts
Pleasure, guys!

It reads to me like the writer's being a bit half-hearted in his praise though. He likes it ok, but it's not powerful enough, not fast enough, steering not feelsome enough, too many of them being made (!), not practical enough, not spacious enough, blah blah blah.

Be interesting to see what Car & Evo make of it in a few days' time.

Cheers

Andy
Much prefere the AutoExpress write up and the photographer was a little more imaginative. I think that Autocar was very conservative and boring - probably still suffering from the hospiatlity from the night before :D :D :D

·
Registered
617 Posts
...regarding 997 Carrera S vs. R8 comparison in Autocar article my comment is...
I thought that this may help to express your feelings.

I felt the same myself, taken all day to recover !!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I find the appearance of the 911 rather dull and old fashioned
I'll be shot down for this I'm sure ... but regardless of what they do to the 911 ... it's still a 911 and dare I say it ... as common as muck ... one of the beautiful things about the R8 is ... it will never be as numerous as the 911 ... therefore it will always be more exclusive than a 911 ... and therefore in many peoples opinion ... mine included ... more desirable ... give me an R8 over a 911 everyday.

Too many people want a 911 because it's a 911 ... that may well be because it's a great drivers car ... and I'm sure Porsche are very happy about that ... but the 911 has become too common for its own good ... great things can be common ... sliced bread for example ... but should great and expensive sports cars be as common ... personally I think not.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Agreed, nice to have something properly exclusive!

Not sure I like Autocar's comment on every premiership football club having a couple though :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts